Hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Quote from: bingobus on August 20, 2009, 12:58:35 PM
I just hope that some GAA club will suffer the consequences of an attack now from some small minded loyalist. The mentality of these people are that any small justification is required for there actions and this may encourage some idiot with a can of petrol to do a bit of damage over the weekend to a clubhouse somewhere.

Missed a word there bingo

DuffleKing

Quote from: Zapatista on August 20, 2009, 12:53:46 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 20, 2009, 11:05:24 AM

And how many of those who opposed this and rather their club was for sport, community and culture would have spoken up at a meeting? not likely.

The association's rules are to protect those people in instances like this.

Wise up.

I'm not sure exactly what it is that you disagree with here?

That there are people who don't want these things in their GAA cluba?
That there are people who are too intimidated to voice protests at these events occurring within their clubs?
Or that the GAA's rules don't prohibit these events from being held on GAA premises?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Hereiam on August 20, 2009, 01:16:49 PM
Quote from: bingobus on August 20, 2009, 12:58:35 PM
I just hope that some GAA club will suffer the consequences of an attack now from some small minded loyalist. The mentality of these people are that any small justification is required for there actions and this may encourage some idiot with a can of petrol to do a bit of damage over the weekend to a clubhouse somewhere.

Missed a word there bingo

They cant be that evil, can they lads?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

blewuporstuffed

I'd like to straighten out few points re: this argument.
firstly, the community hall in Galbally where the event took place, is exactly that, a community hall.
It is NOT clubrooms belonging to the gaa.
AFAIK galbally pay rent to the community centre to use the changing facilities for their football club as it is right beside the football pitch.
it wasnt a decision for the gaa or galbally football club to make, as whether to allow the event to be partially staged there.(although i would imagine no-one in the club would have had a problem with it)
Also regarding the men in paramilitary dress,i admit the photos look bad, but what they donot show is that they were part of a reinactment of the troubles that included, prision guards, polices officers and maze prisioner.
They were NOT part of some sort of PIRA propaganda stunt
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

pintsofguinness

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 20, 2009, 03:08:00 PM
firstly, the community hall in Galbally where the event took place, is exactly that, a community hall.
AFAIK galbally pay rent to the community centre to use the changing facilities for their football club as it is right beside the football pitch.
it wasnt a decision for the gaa or galbally football club to make, as whether to allow the event to be partially staged there.(although i would imagine no-one in the club would have had a problem with it)
Also regarding the men in paramilitary dress,i admit the photos look bad, but what they donot show is that they were part of a reinactment of the troubles that included, prision guards, polices officers and maze prisioner.

Well that's that cleared.  Thanks
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Hardy

Where did they get the guns, as a matter of curiosity?

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bingobus

Not trying to start anything but I thought the bits I seen on the news where that the speaches where made from a lorry on the pitch and the marchers, supporters, etc where out on the field.

May be wrong but i recall seeing Gerry Adams on the news like that.

SidelineKick

Quote from: bingobus on August 20, 2009, 03:33:15 PM

Not trying to start anything but I thought the bits I seen on the news where that the speaches where made from a lorry on the pitch and the marchers, supporters, etc where out on the field.

May be wrong but i recall seeing Gerry Adams on the news like that.

Any link to the footage anyone?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

DuffleKing

If this is the case then it changes the argument. If it weren't GAA grounds there's no case to answer

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 20, 2009, 03:42:42 PM

If this is the case then it changes the argument. If it weren't GAA grounds there's no case to answer
no case to answer even if there was.
Just that some people have an issue with it.
as it stands in such an instance (hypothetical as it is right now) we still have as yet to hear any reason why not or for someone to tell us how this politicises either the GAA, the club or the club grounds/buildings.
In short - it doesnt politicise anything.

However it is reasonable for some people to not want ff/fg/sdlp/sf/dup/dana to hold meetings/rallies on GAA premises. It just doesnt make it wrong.

DuffleKing

If you genuinely believe (we both know you don't) that this type of rally, were it to be held on GAA premises, does not politicise that club and by Association the GAA then there's nothing to debate.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 20, 2009, 04:05:01 PM

If you genuinely believe (we both know you don't) that this type of rally, were it to be held on GAA premises, does not politicise that club and by Association the GAA then there's nothing to debate.
and thankfully (observing common sense) obviously so does the GAA.

are you now telling me what I believe !
I think thats stretching 'personal opinion' into 'ramming it down other peoples throats' territory !
Again asI said, the GAA dont believe it does, otherwise they would prohibit the likes of FF/FG/SDLP/Sf etc from using these premises.
you can put away those jackboots now !

DuffleKing

my understanding is that all political events are outlawed, including every party you name?

seriously, you think that a club hosting a hungerstriker rally does not politicise that club?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 20, 2009, 04:27:08 PM

my understanding is that all political events are outlawed, including every party you name?

seriously, you think that a club hosting a hungerstriker rally does not politicise that club?
correct, and the GAA viewpoint is that also.

would holding a farmers rally turn in it into a pro farming anti gov establishment/club
would holding a union meeting mean its a pro union movement establisment/club
would the selling of alcohol in the bar turn it into a pro alcoholism establishment/club
would holding race night/poker classic mean its a pro gambling establishment/club.

you take offence where you want to. However the GAA dont see these events as holding statements on the club/premises.
The GAA stance is clear and you might not like it but thats just tough luck on your part.
I dont like tyrone, but they still let theminto the ulster and All Ireland championships!