I never knew Ireland had a Top Level Professional Cycling team

Started by Maroon Heaven, May 20, 2009, 06:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Heaven

I was looking up some results on the G'iro D'Italia and I saw that an Irish team is coming second in Super Team Classification.

The Irish team is called - L.P.R. Brakes-Farnese Vini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia said it is based in Ireland and has 18 Italian Riders, 1 Slovenian and I from Ukraine.

One of their Riders - Danilo Di Luca, is leading on Overall Classification as well.

Some achievement as the G'iro is recognised as one of the hardest races on the tour

Anyone know anything about this team?

Gnevin

Quote from: Maroon Heaven on May 20, 2009, 06:23:32 PM
I was looking up some results on the G'iro D'Italia and I saw that an Irish team is coming second in Super Team Classification.

The Irish team is called - L.P.R. Brakes-Farnese Vini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia said it is based in Ireland and has 18 Italian Riders, 1 Slovenian and I from Ukraine.

One of their Riders - Danilo Di Luca, is leading on Overall Classification as well.

Some achievement as the G'iro is recognised as one of the hardest races on the tour

Jasus it has more Irish members than your average  FAI  squad during the 90's
;D
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on May 20, 2009, 07:06:40 PM

;D

;D  so true
Grand Slam Saturday!

AFS

Not the only team apparently

http://www.cyclingservice.eu/index.php?lan=en&niv=3&pag=2&teamid=7012

http://www.cyclingservice.eu/index.php?lan=en&niv=3&pag=2&teamid=7024

None of these teams seem to have any links to Ireland, other than being 'registered' here. Is it for tax reasons or something

dec

Is it really based in Ireland or is it just registered here for tax dodge purposes.

Dougal Maguire

Or does Ireland have a less rigorous drug testing system
Careful now

AFS

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 20, 2009, 07:26:56 PM

I doubt any of them would spend much time here between competing and training, which I'd imagine is done at altitude somewhere.

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 20, 2009, 07:26:56 PM

That would be my idea on it.

For an Irish Team - they have an entire Italian team with a .it website and the whole website in English.

Anyhow best of luck to the Lads. Always good for Ireland to be winning at something and sure if we win - Brian Cowen can get the Learjet out for the Party in Rome.

The Real Laoislad

;D

Maybe so but at least they always had the proper national anthem played at their games and tricolour flown home or away....
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gnevin

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 20, 2009, 07:31:44 PM

;D

Maybe so but at least they always had the proper national anthem played at their games and tricolour flown home or away....
Yes but they only played it for 4/5 of the island .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

;D

Nothing but foreign mercenaries who stood to our national anthem but sang their own when at home in Britain!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Tankie

Quote from: Tankie on May 20, 2009, 07:39:28 PM

;D

Nothing but foreign mercenaries who stood to our national anthem but sang their own when at home in Britain!

ahhhh...Nothing better than a come back that puts LaoisLad back in his box  ;)
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tankie on May 21, 2009, 03:03:36 PM

;D

:D
Or maybe I choose to ignore your broken record ramblings ::) Your so predictable there is no point replying to you anymore as you never have anything new or sensible to say.
I don't know who is the bigger idiot you or Gnevin..  :D

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gnevin

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 21, 2009, 03:22:28 PM

;D

Or maybe I choose to ignore your broken record ramblings ::) Your so predictable there is no point replying to you anymore as you never have anything new or sensible to say.

Your the one replying to "idiots" what does that say about you?

Tankie

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 21, 2009, 03:22:28 PM

;D

I think my post was correct and its clear that you must agree, so it would look to me that you are the one rambling on like the WUM you are!
Grand Slam Saturday!