Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

five points

Quote from: dublin7 on November 09, 2020, 01:25:41 PM

The pharma companies will have tested and trialed the drug before making it available to the general public. They're not stupid. The law suits they could potentially face if they haven't covered all their bases could bankrupt them.

I don't expect anyone to be forced to get the vaccine, but there's no need to ridicule those of us who would do it.

They rush-released the Swine flu vaccine on the basis that governments would indemnify them for the consequences. That's why it's the government that has been sued by the narcolepsy victims.

BennyCake

Potentially billions of vaccine sales. Pharmaceutical companies won't give feck how many people sue them for potential side effects, as this will make them trillions of pounds profit.

Like politicians and governments, I wouldn't trust the pharmaceutical companies are far as I could throw them.

Angelo

Quote from: BennyCake on November 09, 2020, 01:51:58 PM
Potentially billions of vaccine sales. Pharmaceutical companies won't give feck how many people sue them for potential side effects, as this will make them trillions of pounds profit.

Like politicians and governments, I wouldn't trust the pharmaceutical companies are far as I could throw them.

Precisely.

Billion dollar pharma companies only care about their bottom line.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

dublin7

Quote from: Angelo on November 09, 2020, 01:55:48 PM

Precisely.

Billion dollar pharma companies only care about their bottom line.

You could say the same about pretty much every company in the world. Every well run business from a small one man operation to a large multi national company has to focus on their bottom line.   

Seaney

Quote from: Franko on November 09, 2020, 01:18:14 PM
Quote from: Seaney on November 09, 2020, 11:36:06 AM
Interesting read for those pinning their hopes on a vaccine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/07/could-a-covid-vaccine-bring-back-normality

Only a generation to wait!

Moreover, warns Peter Hotez of Baylor College of Medicine in Texas, the first vaccines might stop vaccinated people getting sick, but not prevent them catching and transmitting the virus. "In that case we'll still require masks and social distancing, until better vaccines come along," he says.

Some immunologists think that is not all bad. If young children – who do not usually get so sick from Covid as adults – start catching the virus every winter we may develop enough immunity, if not to stop the virus circulating then at least to limit its impact. In a generation, everyone will have had it as children, and Covid will be mild. That may be what happened with the four coronaviruses that now cause common colds in winter. Genetic analysis shows one, OC43, left cattle and entered humans around 1890. It may be what really caused a pandemic that year of what we thought was severe flu, says Nicholas Christakis of Yale University, but which we now realise had Covid-like symptoms.

Given the announcement today, I'd say (very tentatively) that this is not overly relevant any more.

On the other hand, it's not a great article for those who like to put forward the argument that Covid is basically the same as the flu.

Thank goodness for you that you didn't do that - or you'd be looking a bit silly right now.

I didn't so I am grand.

Seaney

Quote from: Seaney on November 09, 2020, 12:21:31 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on November 09, 2020, 12:10:52 PM
A great day.

Saw it on Twitter and the first dozen replies were from anti-vax knobheads, so numerous battles lie ahead.

Get the sleeve rolled up! You could be lying on a beach by July!  If one is cautious about administering an expediently developed vaccine are they also knobheads?  I have had every vaccination it is recommended to take as had all my children, has one the option to be cautious on this one and wait or is the toxic language from folk like yourself meant to bully folk and their families into getting it.

The pharma companies will have tested and trialed the drug before making it available to the general public. They're not stupid. The law suits they could potentially face if they haven't covered all their bases could bankrupt them.

I don't expect anyone to be forced to get the vaccine, but there's no need to ridicule those of us who would do it.

Nor ridicule those who are cautious.

Seaney

Plus any lawsuits will be decades off.

Seaney

Quote from: bennydorano on November 09, 2020, 01:11:01 PM
Quote from: Seaney on November 09, 2020, 12:56:06 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on November 09, 2020, 12:39:43 PM
A great day.

Saw it on Twitter and the first dozen replies were from anti-vax knobheads, so numerous battles lie ahead.

Get the sleeve rolled up! You could be lying on a beach by July!  If one is cautious about administering an expediently developed vaccine are they also knobheads?  I have had every vaccination it is recommended to take as had all my children, has one the option to be cautious on this one and wait or is the toxic language from folk like yourself meant to bully folk and their families into getting it.

The replies I read on Twitter were all replies to Piers Morgan who had quote tweeted Pfizer, so I can assure you Knobhead was very appropriate. Also, I don't care what you do chief. I learned a long time ago all you can do is look after yourself & your own - and I'll take a Government approved Vaccine without a 2nd thought.

Good man, thankfully we have a government that is immune to mistakes, so you have every right to place your health in their hands.
Dunno how the UK Government is gonna mess it up ???  it's a German/US vaccine with no UK Government involvement.

One minute your taking a government approved vaccine, next thing it has nothing to do with the government, so why do you care if its government approved!

Tony Baloney

So you take no medicines? God forbid if you get a life threatening illness are you gonna tell them to keep their drugs?

dublin7

Quote from: Seaney on November 09, 2020, 03:35:44 PM
A great day.

Nor ridicule those who are cautious.

Do you use cars, planes, electrical appliances? These all also are required to pass safety standards before being released for use to the public.

Seaney

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

dublin7

Quote from: Seaney on November 09, 2020, 04:40:14 PM
That frankly is a ridiculous comparison.
Airplanes for example (before Covid) flew millions of people around the world. The vast majority of people aren't afraid to fly because they trust the airplanes safety record. Airplanes have health and safety standards to pass to get and keep their planes in the air.

The same principle applies to pharmaceutical companies. If their products aren't safe they'll be pulled and see how that affects their share price and bottom line. Do thw same people think the medical professionals are going to put their name to a vaccine approval without checking it's safe to do so and risk their reputation and careers?

Some people have been watching too many hollywood movies during lockdown

RedHand88

I've yet to hear any "not getting it" tell me which stage of development or testing that hasn't been used that they would like used, not one.

Seaney

Yeah because we are all biochemists and chemical engineers.  I would like to wait for more data from clinical trials, how long has the 43,000 been monitored for, what is the length of immunity, researchers say that protection is achieved 28 days after the initiation of the vaccination, which consists of two doses, what does this mean, can you still become infected within the 28 days, and if immunity is only a few months what then?