Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Milltown Row2

Here we go on the flu again!!

You love a good talk on flu
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 22, 2020, 07:55:11 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2020, 06:33:13 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 22, 2020, 05:49:02 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2020, 04:50:28 PM
Quote from: Chief on October 22, 2020, 04:44:21 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 22, 2020, 04:38:07 PM
If a vaccine is approved by the EU I'll be taking it.

Anybody with half a brain will do likewise.

You have to wonder how it is even a debate
Three words: Right wing propaganda

Plenty of wing nuts on the left advocating for no vaccines too, take that crap to the US politics thread.
The anti-vaccine ideology is overwhelmingly pushed by those with right-wing "libertarian" sympathies

Anti-vaccine ideology has deeply infected mainstream right-wing politics and media

There is no such similar problem on the broad left

Right-wing propaganda and disinformation is one of the central problems of our time, it is a virulent cancer

Again, there is no such similar problem on the broad left

Look at the New Zealand election

Why did that country overwhelmingly opt for sensible social democratic government rather than the screaming yahoos that rule the roost in the US, UK and increasingly Australia?

Because Murdoch media is not a factor

We are far from perfect in this country but Murdoch media is not a factor here either - unfortunately we do have some other outlets and minor demagogues here to take up the slack of disinformation and we are also quite influenced by what's happening in the UK and US

Plenty on the left too.
Heres governor of Vermont Democratic candidate David Zuckerman. His voting history makes for interesting reading....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/03/21/anti-vaccine-coronavirus-137446
You can scour the internet for individuals if you like in an effort to create a false equivalence but isolated individuals and cranks do not make a systemic problem

Science denial and fact rejection are now intrinsic parts of the international right-wing

That is very far from the case on the broad left

False equivalence is also a systemic right-wing problem

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 22, 2020, 08:09:30 PM
Here we go on the flu again!!

You love a good talk on flu

This is a thread on vaccines, that's a post on vaccines.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

RedHand88

Quote from: Angelo on October 22, 2020, 08:04:50 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 22, 2020, 07:45:35 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 22, 2020, 07:32:01 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 22, 2020, 07:22:09 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 22, 2020, 07:18:07 PM
For a vaccine to be effective at stopping community transmission , it'll have to be taken by the majority of the population , no ?

I'm alright though Jack, I'm not in an at-risk demographic

Maybe do some research on vaccines in our history and some of the long term health problems they can be attributed to.

I'll take my chances without it. If I catch the virus I will look after myself and following the quarantine procedures.

Do you get the flu vaccine annually?

Incredibly selfish attitude to take.

I value my own health, if that's deemed as selfish then so be it.

Look at the flu vaccine in South Korea as a recent example.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/22/doctors-in-south-korea-call-for-flu-vaccinations-to-be-paused-after-25-deaths

Did you even read that article? It disproves your point.

"Authorities say programme will continue after finding no direct links between the deaths and the vaccines"

You've just read the headline and couldn't get it posted quick enough.

Franko

Quote from: Seaney on October 22, 2020, 06:37:52 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 22, 2020, 06:00:45 PM
The perverse logic of this is incredible but not unsurprising

Covid - The Disease
Don't know the long term consequences
Unlikely to kill me in the short term
Will most likely aid the spread of the disease if I get it, potentially causing the death of others
"HAPPY ENOUGH WITH THAT, CARRY ON REGARDLESS, BRING IT ON"

Covid - The Vaccine
VERY unlikely to kill me in the short term
Will most likely help stop the spread of the disease, potentially saving the lives of others
"FCUK THAT SHIT, DON'T WANT IT ANYWHERE NEAR ME"

How, in the name of sweet fcuk does anyone with a brain arrive at this kind of decision?

You use words like likely and potentially, what if the vaccine was likely, potentially very much the cause of deaths, illness or deformities in the future, are those more acceptable than whatever number of deaths from covid when you subtract the 28 day lag anomaly.

I do use those words.  There's no point in using absolutisms when the reality is that we're not certain.

The "what if" game is a ridiculous one.

What if Covid was the cause of "deaths, illness or deformities in the future?"

See how easy this is?

Franko

Quote from: Angelo on October 22, 2020, 07:11:51 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 22, 2020, 06:00:45 PM
The perverse logic of this is incredible but not unsurprising

Covid - The Disease
Unlikely to kill me in the short term
Will most likely aid the spread of the disease if I get it, potentially causing the death of others
"HAPPY ENOUGH WITH THAT, CARRY ON REGARDLESS, BRING IT ON"

Covid - The Vaccine
VERY unlikely to kill me in the short term
Will most likely help stop the spread of the disease, potentially saving the lives of others
"FCUK THAT SHIT, DON'T WANT IT ANYWHERE NEAR ME"

How, in the name of sweet fcuk does anyone with a brain arrive at this kind of decision?

Franko is a prime example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

You're making an awful lot of assumptions there, maybe the WHO will be onto to solve this seeing as you seem to know so much about it.

Some substance here.

NB.
The WHO line wasn't funny the first 2 times you used it either.

Franko

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 22, 2020, 08:24:02 PM
For a vaccine to be effective at stopping community transmission , it'll have to be taken by the majority of the population , no ?

Maybe do some research on vaccines in our history and some of the long term health problems they can be attributed to.

I'll take my chances without it. If I catch the virus I will look after myself and following the quarantine procedures.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/22/doctors-in-south-korea-call-for-flu-vaccinations-to-be-paused-after-25-deaths

"Authorities say programme will continue after finding no direct links between the deaths and the vaccines"

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brilliant.

Another facepalm moment.

armaghniac

Perhaps you should have noted the sub-heading on that article "Authorities say programme will continue after finding no direct links between the deaths and the vaccines"
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Chief

Question - if your going to "take your chances", will you refuse hospital treatment if things get serious?

Angelo

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 22, 2020, 08:24:02 PM

Nope. I actually the article, did you?

25 people who got the vaccine have died.

A group of leading doctors have campaigned for the vaccines to be stopped until it can be established if the vaccine was a contributing factor.

The authorities seem unwilling to investigate this to proper effect. Do you accept everything the authorities tell you in blind faith? Or do you not think that they have a vested interest in saying the vaccine was not an issue?

Angelo

Quote from: Chief on October 22, 2020, 08:55:59 PM

Question - if your going to "take your chances", will you refuse hospital treatment if things get serious?

I don't have Covid and hope to keep it that way and it would be extremely remote that I would need hospital treatment if I did.

Would you refuse hospital treatment if you got an adverse reaction to the vaccine?

trileacman

Whilst you would have concerns about the safety of a rushed vaccine it pales in comparison to the worry you'd have about contracting Covid.

Whilst I readily acknowledge the increased danger of rushing a vaccine through, IMO the probability that it could be dangerous is miniscule. Anyone who tries to dress it up as a major concern must be a f**king idiot. There's as much chance that your next meal will kill you as the Covid vaccine harming your health.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Chief

Quote from: Angelo on October 22, 2020, 09:21:40 PM

I don't have Covid and hope to keep it that way and it would be extremely remote that I would need hospital treatment if I did.

Would you refuse hospital treatment if you got an adverse reaction to the vaccine?

You didn't answer the question, presumably because your answer would expose your hypocrisy.

And to cover your backside your trying to deflect attention back onto me- juvenile enough approach to a debate but that what you get from the anti vac brigade as the actual substance of their argument is pathetic.

My position is clear, I would take the vaccine and hopefully that would hopefully prevent illness. If however I still got sick for some unlikely reason, including an adverse reaction to the vaccine, and needed treatment I would of course accept hospital care.

You see unlike you antivac clowns I always listen to qualified medical experts, not quacks or yahoo's that I find on the internet, or unqualified gobshites from up the road.

RedHand88

Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2020, 08:11:45 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 22, 2020, 07:55:11 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2020, 06:33:13 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 22, 2020, 05:49:02 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on October 22, 2020, 04:50:28 PM
Quote from: Chief on October 22, 2020, 04:44:21 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 22, 2020, 04:38:07 PM
If a vaccine is approved by the EU I'll be taking it.

Anybody with half a brain will do likewise.

You have to wonder how it is even a debate
Three words: Right wing propaganda

Plenty of wing nuts on the left advocating for no vaccines too, take that crap to the US politics thread.
The anti-vaccine ideology is overwhelmingly pushed by those with right-wing "libertarian" sympathies

Anti-vaccine ideology has deeply infected mainstream right-wing politics and media

There is no such similar problem on the broad left

Right-wing propaganda and disinformation is one of the central problems of our time, it is a virulent cancer

Again, there is no such similar problem on the broad left

Look at the New Zealand election

Why did that country overwhelmingly opt for sensible social democratic government rather than the screaming yahoos that rule the roost in the US, UK and increasingly Australia?

Because Murdoch media is not a factor

We are far from perfect in this country but Murdoch media is not a factor here either - unfortunately we do have some other outlets and minor demagogues here to take up the slack of disinformation and we are also quite influenced by what's happening in the UK and US

Plenty on the left too.
Heres governor of Vermont Democratic candidate David Zuckerman. His voting history makes for interesting reading....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/03/21/anti-vaccine-coronavirus-137446
You can scour the internet for individuals if you like in an effort to create a false equivalence but isolated individuals and cranks do not make a systemic problem

Science denial and fact rejection are now intrinsic parts of the international right-wing

That is very far from the case on the broad left

False equivalence is also a systemic right-wing problem

I didnt have to scour. Hes on the ballot in Vermont in November. He's a left wing democrat. And he's not alone.

San Francisco kids are well below the required vaccinated level (95%) for herd immunity. San Fran of course. Being a city that *checks notes*  Hillary won 84.5% of the vote in 2016.

There are loons in all political walks of life.

sid waddell

If you change your mind
Be the first in line
The vaccine is free
Take a chance on me
If you need me, let me know
Gonna be around
Covid has no place to go
When I come to town

If you're all alone
Up there in Tyrone
Honey, I'll be free
Take a chance on me