GAA Outreach in Action...

Started by Evil Genius, June 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

4 June 2012 Last updated at 15:27

Mother's anger over GAA club's 'IRA medals' for under-12s

The medal carries a photograph of IRA man Martin McCaughey

The mother of an 11-year-old boy is angry that children at a Gaelic Athletic Club football blitz at the weekend were given medals bearing the picture of a dead IRA man.

The medals given to the Under-12 boys at Galbally Pearses Club in Tyrone featured Martin McCaughey.

He and IRA man Dessie Grew were shot dead by the SAS in October 1990.

"It was outrageous. My son was asking what the hero did," said the mother who did not want to be named.

"We had no warning that the medals would be dedicated to a dead IRA man.

""I think we should have at least been told what the medals would have on them and given a chance to decide whether we wanted our children to take part or not."

A press officer for Tyrone Gaelic Athletic Association said: "If the mother has a comment, she should make it to Tyrone County offices, they would obviously look at it."

A spokesman for the GAA's Ulster Council said: "The Ulster Council has no comment to make until we receive official notification from the individual involved."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18322046
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Canalman

Thanks for pointing out (again) how awful we are.

Milltown Row2

Was at a friends last night, big rugby man who loves the gaelic also, asked me about this carry on of giving out the hero medals in Tyrone. Did know anything about it till today

Can we not seperate the politics from sport? Gaa shooting themselves in the foot and keeping other peoples (prods) views of Gaa firmly in the past.

Do we not want to involve everyone in our sports?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Myles Na G.

From the same clowns who staged the hunger strike commemoration on GAA property a couple of years back. The fact that they're at the same sort of thing again shows the lack of will on the part of the GAA to deal with it.

DownFanatic

I see there is no mention of it but is there a possibility that McCaughey was involved in the GAA in Galbally prior to his death and thus that being the reason for his placement on the medal?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: DownFanatic on June 05, 2012, 02:19:24 PM
I see there is no mention of it but is there a possibility that McCaughey was involved in the GAA in Galbally prior to his death and thus that being the reason for his placement on the medal?

Yeah I've no doubt that he probably was, as was Kevin Lynch and a lot more I'm sure but this was always going to raise concerns and give people reasons to beat the GAA.

Great tournament by the way Hardstation.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

I'm sure that would be the position of the club if pressed. I think in any of these clubs you could find a bigger clubman to name a trophy after than a dead terrorist.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 05, 2012, 02:35:23 PM
I'm sure that would be the position of the club if pressed. I think in any of these clubs you could find a bigger clubman to name a trophy after than a dead terrorist.

Agree with that. Moronic decision by the club involved.

Bingo

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on June 05, 2012, 02:37:34 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 05, 2012, 02:35:23 PM

Agree with that. Moronic decision by the club involved.

Totally agree.

ziggysego

They were flying Italian flags. That made me sick to the stomach.
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Clearly, for some, provocation and confrontation are more important than sport. Flags, emblems and photographs.

stew

What a shitty looking yoke to hand out to a youngster, ffs  this crowd are trying to attract attention with that load of bollocks.

There is no need for the likes of this sort of thing, it is divisive and does nothing to further the sport, rather it sullies it's name and gives the likes of haters like EG opportunities to hammer the association.

Your woman has every right to be upset because she obviously has no gra for Republician freedom fighters/terrorists (take your pick) and she should not have someone else's politics rammed down her throat via her sons sporting prowess.

The GAA need to come out and take this issue seriously, it is counter productive in the extreme.

When the IFA were letting their clubs lease out their facilities to known terrorists who then almost kill a man by beating him and hitting him with a car..................................where was the evil one???? :o
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Hardy

She pays her taxes to a government in which Martin McGuinness is Deputy First Minister. It doesn't mean she should expect her tax forms to come with a picture of Bobby Sands.

thewobbler

Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2012, 03:37:27 PM
She let her son play in a tournament run by Galbally PEARSES and then shit her pants because the medal had a 'terrorist' on it.

Fcuk me....

That's it Hardstation, dig your heels in and stick two fingers out.

Thankfully, most people in Northern Ireland have recognised that it's an easier and better life not to wind each other up.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

This club should face some kind of punishment from GAA HQ. This is nothing like the GAA I grew up supporting and playing (with several clubs in a few counties and countries).
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.