Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PMG1

Never drank at college (90-94) so was able to go out every night, had a weekly routine, think the Chaplency was a Monday night for the Irish night, great craic. The crescent was a regular spot but never felt safe in it, the Union ran a great night (might have been Weds?), actually had my stag night in it (got married the week after my finals, think i was the only student in Belfast that was engaged at college, this partly explains why I didn't drink. The best spot was I think called The Elms, it was just before you came to Lavery's, some great bands in it, think it may have been the Thursday night spot. Lavery's was a complete no no then days, full of the Village gentlemen, Hatfield also a definite no no then, was locals only. Bishops on a Sunday evening was the great food wise, beside that was a constant diet of spuds, beans and sausages and penguin biscuits that I shared with the mice in my bedroom, except my final year I lived in Stranmillis when Sphinx and the Chinese beside it were my local chefs. Have two children up there now, really feel for them as covid has wrecked a year and a half of their college life, holy lands is full of Romanians now.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: PMG1 on May 06, 2021, 12:53:59 AM
Never drank at college (90-94) so was able to go out every night, had a weekly routine, think the Chaplency was a Monday night for the Irish night, great craic. The crescent was a regular spot but never felt safe in it, the Union ran a great night (might have been Weds?), actually had my stag night in it (got married the week after my finals, think i was the only student in Belfast that was engaged at college, this partly explains why I didn't drink. The best spot was I think called The Elms, it was just before you came to Lavery's, some great bands in it, think it may have been the Thursday night spot. Lavery's was a complete no no then days, full of the Village gentlemen, Hatfield also a definite no no then, was locals only. Bishops on a Sunday evening was the great food wise, beside that was a constant diet of spuds, beans and sausages and penguin biscuits that I shared with the mice in my bedroom, except my final year I lived in Stranmillis when Sphinx and the Chinese beside it were my local chefs. Have two children up there now, really feel for them as covid has wrecked a year and a half of their college life, holy lands is full of Romanians now.
I was around the same era, Blackthorn in the Elms on.a Thursday was a big draw back then , the Fly on a Tuesday night was popular too,as were   The Bot,& Renshaws , , we would have been in the middle bar in laverys  regularly enough back then and never had any hassle to be honest . ,Spuds or Bishops being the late night eating houses

Taylor

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on May 06, 2021, 01:29:14 AM
I was around the same era, Blackthorn in the Elms on.a Thursday was a big draw back then , the Fly on a Tuesday night was popular too,as were   The Bot,& Renshaws , , we would have been in the middle bar in laverys  regularly enough back then and never had any hassle to be honest . ,Spuds or Bishops being the late night eating houses

Had the Elms the L shaped pool table?

It was some load of shite

clarshack

Thought the Elms was a good spot and had good times in the Bot and the Egg too. The Students Union was also hard to beat back in the mid 90's at £1 a pint.
Could never warm to Renshaws though.

trueblue1234

The bot was a nightmare tho. We'd make plans to go other places, but after the carry out we'd all be "Naw yeah, f**k it, just go to the bot"

What about Bamboo beach club?? Shots off the waitresses stomach!! 😆
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: clarshack on May 06, 2021, 09:58:35 AM

Thought the Elms was a good spot and had good times in the Bot and the Egg too. The Students Union was also hard to beat back in the mid 90's at £1 a pint.

Used to like your posts. I've added you to my list of enemies.

Looking back, Jesus it was an awful place, oily walls....the floor was perma damp/wet, your feet sank into whatever bit of fabric there was. Still had some of the best nights of University there though. Fat Frogs for a 5er out of a half cleaned glass? Where would you beat it.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: clarshack on May 06, 2021, 09:58:35 AM

Unions went to shite around 2000, drink wasn't that cheap. I was in Jordanstown halls in first year and only hit the union up there a handful of times and never really warmed to Queens Union. Brother was in Queens late 80s and they lived in the unions. Said houses were cold and shit and the union was cheaper than off licenses.

UUJ union had a fry and tea for £1 in first year but it got done up after that and it went up to about £3 after that.

delgany

Bob Cratchitts, opposite the City Hospital was great for the drinking parties

Milltown Row2

Quote from: delgany on May 06, 2021, 05:52:20 PM

Cratchitts on a wed night 1990 onwards! Great spot, difficult to get into at the weekends back then, doorman was a complete tool.

Met the misses there, only bad thing I can remember  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tbrick18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 06, 2021, 06:25:57 PM
Quote from: delgany on May 06, 2021, 05:52:20 PM

Cratchitts on a wed night 1990 onwards! Great spot, difficult to get into at the weekends back then, doorman was a complete tool.

Met the misses there, only bad thing I can remember  ;D

Cratchetts was hit and miss in my time.
There was a nurses night which was good.....but there was also several occasions where I finished up talking to "ladies" who were members of the young farmers association! No idea if they had a night or if it was just bad luck. lol.

This thread has turned into a "Student Live in Belfast in the 90s" thread! i like it.

The Fly before it became trendy was good. Used to be a quiz in it on a monday night where the quizmaster climbed a ladder to sit on top of the bar. Spot prizes of free pints. It used to be some mess.

I remember the M-Club opening up....I was barred out of it for about 6 months even though I'd never been in it.
First night I got in, a row broke out behind me and I got threw out with the rest of them! Finished up in Laverys those nights usually.

Milltown Row2

Did any of you students stay the weekends? Vico's was the spot on a Saturday and the limelight on a Friday night early to mid 90's, cracking tunes and the staff didn't annoy anyone.

The Duke of York upstairs on a Friday was decent too
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Stayed the weekend very rarely. Needed to get home for food and the clothes washed!

Would have been to Vico's a good few times though but usually late at night! Would have went to Cratchett's the odd Sat night. Magennises was a good spot on a Friday night when I was past my student years.

tbrick18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 06, 2021, 07:56:28 PM
Did any of you students stay the weekends? Vico's was the spot on a Saturday and the limelight on a Friday night early to mid 90's, cracking tunes and the staff didn't annoy anyone.

Where was vicos? I remember the name but can't remember if I was in it.
Stayed up the odd time just as had a job back home.
Shine the odd time. Was in Duke of York one weekend and it was rough so didn't go back.
The weekend nightlife round home was good so I generally always went home.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 06, 2021, 08:59:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 06, 2021, 07:56:28 PM

Where was vicos? I remember the name but can't remember if I was in it.
Stayed up the odd time just as had a job back home.
Shine the odd time. Was in Duke of York one weekend and it was rough so didn't go back.
The weekend nightlife round home was good so I generally always went home.

The back of Robinsons Vico's had 3/4 floors with different tunes going on in each floor, with a guy serving free pizza downstairs, quality set up. Brunswick street