The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

County management is a full time role so I'm not sure how the 2 jobs can be reconciled. Add in the 10 or so hours travel and I'm not sure how anyone could expect to deliver as both a county manager and MLA. I remember listening to Oisin McConville and Davy Burke at the end of last year saying how county management was so mentally draining and all consuming so I don't know how he can expect to do both jobs to the level required. I think he should pick one and the county managers job is certain to be the more lucrative!

If Geezer was working as an MLA I can only imagine the criticism he would be getting.

Pub Bore

Idiotic by McNulty.  First day back at Stormont and the SDLP lose an MLA and a UUP MLA has a go at party colleague Robin Swann!

Kidder81

Quote from: Pub Bore on February 05, 2024, 10:31:00 AMIdiotic by McNulty.  First day back at Stormont and the SDLP lose an MLA and a UUP MLA has a go at party colleague Robin Swann!

He's right about Swann, just using the Health post as a shop window to try and get into Westminster

johnnycool

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 02, 2024, 06:35:38 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on February 02, 2024, 06:12:10 PMDonaldson well fit for Nolan this morning, not often you see a local politician sitting an a show like that for an hour.

Why won't one of the big two take Health ?

Because the changes needed to make it sustainable (Bengoa) are not politically ideal. Everyone wants a hospital in their doorstep, which just isn't feasible and closing hospitals or centralising healthcare isn't exactly a vote winner.

Agree on Donaldson, he was excellent and corrected Nolan several times. Also enjoyed his takedown of Brysons commissioned "legal opinion". Its basically comprised of carefully crafted  questions to give the impression it backs up their point of view.

The internal mechanisms within Stormont make in almost impossible to enact something as foundational as the Bengoa report.

It would be a huge drain on the budget initially and that would mean other departments headed up by members of other parties losing out and the political fallout from that would mean it just wouldn't happen.

yellowcard

Quote from: Kidder81 on February 05, 2024, 10:37:41 AM
Quote from: Pub Bore on February 05, 2024, 10:31:00 AMIdiotic by McNulty.  First day back at Stormont and the SDLP lose an MLA and a UUP MLA has a go at party colleague Robin Swann!

He's right about Swann, just using the Health post as a shop window to try and get into Westminster

Westminster is more lucrative and it definitely looks like Swann has his sights set there. The expenses and perks far outweigh anything Stormont can provide.

Kidder81

Quote from: yellowcard on February 05, 2024, 10:41:49 AM

Westminster is more lucrative and it definitely looks like Swann has his sights set there. The expenses and perks far outweigh anything Stormont can provide.

And much less hassle

Taylor

Quote from: yellowcard on February 05, 2024, 10:07:28 AMCounty management is a full time role so I'm not sure how the 2 jobs can be reconciled. Add in the 10 or so hours travel and I'm not sure how anyone could expect to deliver as both a county manager and MLA. I remember listening to Oisin McConville and Davy Burke at the end of last year saying how county management was so mentally draining and all consuming so I don't know how he can expect to do both jobs to the level required. I think he should pick one and the county managers job is certain to be the more lucrative!

If Geezer was working as an MLA I can only imagine the criticism he would be getting.

Maybe in the short term but long term he would have pension etc to consider

lurganblue

Did no-one in the SDLP catch on that there was a clash and have a word with the man?  It was even mentioned on this forum on Thursday. It seems like poor communication all round.

trailer

Quote from: lurganblue on February 05, 2024, 10:47:34 AM

Did no-one in the SDLP catch on that there was a clash and have a word with the man?  It was even mentioned on this forum on Thursday. It seems like poor communication all round.

They did. I think Justy is being pig headed about it and refusing to even discuss it. It's been poorly handled but McNulty hasn't been overly cooperative.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on February 05, 2024, 11:10:44 AM

They did. I think Justy is being pig headed about it and refusing to even discuss it. It's been poorly handled but McNulty hasn't been overly cooperative.
Wouldn't be like him.

marty34

Would he run in NA against Ian Óg?

marty34

Quote from: trailer on February 05, 2024, 11:10:44 AM

That lad O'Toole annoys me.

Always seems to have a head cold when talking.  >:( 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on February 05, 2024, 11:38:22 AM

I was going to post, what would a man of his age be bothered with going to Westminster, then I checked that he's my age!! Is he old or do we always look at ourselves as being a lot younger lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SaffronSports

Quote from: marty34 on February 05, 2024, 11:38:22 AM

He has done so in the past and never really laid a glove on him.

imtommygunn

That seat is really a safe seat for the DUP and has been this years. Ian Og at this stage can do and say anything he likes and still get in. It's not he's adding any value to anyone's life.