USFC SF: Monaghan vs. Fermanagh, Sunday June 21st 2015 at 4pm, TBC

Started by GrandMasterFlash, June 05, 2015, 01:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Good result for Monaghan, if not a great performance. A bit much being made of the impact of the sending off, in my opinion. At the time, Monaghan were 3 up with a free to put them 4 up, then followed the goal, which came from a poor kick-out. That was Monaghan 7 up with 10 minutes left, before you can really consider the impact of the sending off, and Monaghan lost Hughes near the end too.

One of the biggest differences was Monaghan's substitutions, similar to the Cavan match. Being able to bring on Gollogly, Clerkin and McGuinness made a difference. Quigley also missed some frees that looked handy enough. Hard to call a man of the match, but possibly Kieran Hughes for some good fielding and a couple of lovely points from play. 10 different scorers and only 1-01 for McManus from play shows that we're not a one-man band as well.

Next day out will be a big step up, but we weren't too impressive in the games before the 2013 Ulster Final either, so here's hoping.

Good luck to Fermanagh in the qualifiers.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Main Street

Quote from: Jinxy on June 22, 2015, 12:42:20 AM
Quote from: Olly on June 21, 2015, 10:27:39 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 21, 2015, 09:15:32 PM
Did Big Dick come on?

Yea, came on and milled a lad.

Classic Dick.
Every 2 bit punk wants to take on Dick and make a name for themselves but they always end up the same,  as unknowns with their face down in the grass.

JoG2

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 21, 2015, 10:42:25 PM
How did McCusker not get a black card for the trip leading to the penalty?

was it not accidental? Black cards are for a deliberate foul

enjoyable enough match. McCluskey's sending off was harsh enough. Some great scores from both teams

Main Street

Once Monaghan got going with  their 5/ 6 points gap,  early in the 2nd half, the game was theirs and as Maguire pointed out we were virtually 4 points up  when the red card happened and got a goal  immediately after. Monaghan were in control of this game before the red card,  probably about a comfortable  5 or 6 point gap, if  15 v15. Fermanagh just hadn't got the subs, but to  their credit they kept the game competitive  and erratic free taking  did cost them about  2 points. McGrath keeps an admirable tidy ship and great to see a manager of his pedigree still holding his own at this level, getting the best out of a senior county panel.

The ref was very fussy and didn't tolerate much, easy to buy a free from him. But for the purposes of this game, he worked it well, nothing escalated and the game was a sporting contest.
Though it remains to be seen if he would be able to keep  the same good control in a more 'ulster type' championship game. 

Bingo

Solid if unspectacular result for Monaghan. The scoreline did flatter Monaghan in the end, Fermanagh missed 3 very kickable frees that shouldn't be missed at that level, 1 in the first half and two in the second. He had kicked harder ones during the game.

Some great scores taken by both teams throughout the game.

Might be bias, but thought Malone was hard done by getting taken off so early. His role meant it was very hard for him to get in scoring positions, he was playing as a sweeper in front of the full back at times and then had to push on to join the attack and he did this well, don't think he wasted any ball.

The key switch I though was swapping Mone and Walsh in second half, in that Mone found himself released from the back to push forward and Walsh sat back more in second half. Just didn't happen for Walsh in an attacking sense all day.

Kieran Hughes was super and Karl O'Connell can run. His legs have some turnover rate when he is at full pelt.

Monaghan will still have a lot to do the next day to earn an Ulster title.

Schkite

One thing that was very clear from the match is that we have to leave Kieran Hughes inside. When Conor was being well marked he took advantage with a couple of great scores, and caused the defence real bother whenever the ball was played into him there. He is strong with a serious pair of hands, so he's another great option to have in there. Hopefully he won't be needed in the middle as much now Lennon is back, although he did look rusty. If we leave Kieran inside we're immediately more dangerous, and that will definitely be needed in the final, look at the damage he did against Donegal two years ago when all the attention was on McManus. Obviously he wouldn't get as much space this year, but it would make things harder for the defence.

straightred

Quote from: Schkite on June 22, 2015, 11:39:05 AM
One thing that was very clear from the match is that we have to leave Kieran Hughes inside. When Conor was being well marked he took advantage with a couple of great scores, and caused the defence real bother whenever the ball was played into him there. He is strong with a serious pair of hands, so he's another great option to have in there. Hopefully he won't be needed in the middle as much now Lennon is back, although he did look rusty. If we leave Kieran inside we're immediately more dangerous, and that will definitely be needed in the final, look at the damage he did against Donegal two years ago when all the attention was on McManus. Obviously he wouldn't get as much space this year, but it would make things harder for the defence.

Agree - they need another serious threat to take some of the attention off McManus. He was on fire yesterday so hopefully he can carry that through to the next day.

Quick word on the red card - stupid but valid in my opinion. The Sunday game showed a second offence that I hadn't spotted when another defender ran his studs down the back of the lads hamstring - that was more of a red if you ask me

ck

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 21, 2015, 11:41:39 PM
Good result for Monaghan, if not a great performance. A bit much being made of the impact of the sending off, in my opinion. At the time, Monaghan were 3 up with a free to put them 4 up, then followed the goal, which came from a poor kick-out. That was Monaghan 7 up with 10 minutes left, before you can really consider the impact of the sending off, and Monaghan lost Hughes near the end too.

One of the biggest differences was Monaghan's substitutions, similar to the Cavan match. Being able to bring on Gollogly, Clerkin and McGuinness made a difference. Quigley also missed some frees that looked handy enough. Hard to call a man of the match, but possibly Kieran Hughes for some good fielding and a couple of lovely points from play. 10 different scorers and only 1-01 for McManus from play shows that we're not a one-man band as well.

Next day out will be a big step up, but we weren't too impressive in the games before the 2013 Ulster Final either, so here's hoping.

Good luck to Fermanagh in the qualifiers.

Would agree. the red card is being overplayed. Monaghan were in control at the time and were very much in the ascendancy. Fermanagh fell apart after the red card but imo they were starting to fall apart anyway.

FermGael

Quote from: straightred on June 22, 2015, 11:51:05 AM
Quote from: Schkite on June 22, 2015, 11:39:05 AM

Agree - they need another serious threat to take some of the attention off McManus. He was on fire yesterday so hopefully he can carry that through to the next day.

Quick word on the red card - stupid but valid in my opinion. The Sunday game showed a second offence that I hadn't spotted when another defender ran his studs down the back of the lads hamstring - that was more of a red if you ask me

The second offence was much more of a red card.  I would agree with that.

Clerkin should also have got the line. 
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

timmyot501

What did Clerkin do? The cameras missed it. Just showed him getting the yellow.

Main Street

I would hope it was a deliberate decision to give Lennon and Walshe some serious  championship match practice, rather than a decision that they were first choice and sharp enough to carry out the roles they were given.

We are in the final,  my choice would be Derry :)

Schkite

Quote from: Main Street on June 22, 2015, 12:53:25 PM
I would hope it was a deliberate decision to give Lennon and Walshe some serious  championship match practice, rather than a decision that they were first choice and sharp enough to carry out the roles they were given.

I'd assume it was the former. It was a good game to give them proper game time in, if needed I'm sure Dick could have put in the early shift at midfield and Boyle could have started instead of Walshe. I'm sure they were confident of making the final and as such the two lads needed match practice ahead of it. McGuinness got a good half under his belt aswell. The squad is looking in good nick, Drew's injury aside.

Speaking of which, I seen on hoganstand that someone said Drew was walking freely enough without crutches, did anyone else see him? Surely that would indicate the injury isn't as bad as first feared? Doing a cruciate properly would leave you in a bad way.

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on June 22, 2015, 01:22:29 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 22, 2015, 12:53:25 PM

I'd assume it was the former. It was a good game to give them proper game time in, if needed I'm sure Dick could have put in the early shift at midfield and Boyle could have started instead of Walshe. I'm sure they were confident of making the final and as such the two lads needed match practice ahead of it. McGuinness got a good half under his belt aswell. The squad is looking in good nick, Drew's injury aside.

Speaking of which, I seen on hoganstand that someone said Drew was walking freely enough without crutches, did anyone else see him? Surely that would indicate the injury isn't as bad as first feared? Doing a cruciate properly would leave you in a bad way.
We are made of different stuff.  Monaghan men can play a full game while carrying a cruciate ligamet injury.

GrandMasterFlash

Delighted to win it and agree that 10 points flattered us. Thought the first half was very tense by both teams and too much hesitancy in their approach play. Fermanagh probably should have been further ahead by half-time but likewise Monaghan hesitated around the D resulting in block downs/turnovers. They definitely hit their stride early in the second half, thanks to the inclusion of E Duffy and McGuinness. I believe that the red card was harsh (but correct if going by the book) but I don't think it would have changed the outcome, the margin yes but the outcome no. It was great to see Lennon back in a Monaghan jersey. More game time needed for both him and Walshe. I too thought that Malone was played out of position as he's more of a hard working ball winner round the middle than a sweeper. He'll be there or thereabouts come July 19th anyhow. 

It's great to be in a third successive Ulster Final not having played to our peak in either game. As MOR said, it's better having the good football in front of you..

Good luck to Fermanagh in the qualifiers. I reckon they'll pick themselves up and give anyone a game as they are a hard working outfit.