An Dun -v- Cill Dara AIQ R2

Started by Aristo 60, June 30, 2014, 09:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent Orange

I hear McCartan informed the players that he is going. He left the ground pretty sharpish according to a friend who was at the game.

Down and Trone out, not a bad oul day at all.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 13, 2014, 05:52:15 PM
Quote from: thejuice on July 13, 2014, 05:10:14 PM
Funny, Kildare probably played almost identical to their game against us, but it worked today. But what does it tell anyone going up against Kildare. The gameplan is pretty evident now.

Pretty much apart from one or two tweaks. We had Gary White sweeping in front of the full back line today but he was probably only free because Down had a sweeper themselves. Fitzpatrick did well and was an improvement on Mick Foley. Apart from that Kildare were pretty much as you were the last day against Meath.

Callaghan started where Brophy would normally be positioned but was black carded early on. Smith looked sharp enough when he replaced him. Emmet Bolton was very lucky to escape a second yellow card at one stage in the second half when the game was still tight. Had Coldrick shown him the line we would probably have seen a different result.

I suppose Kildare were possibly due a bit of good fortune against Down so we'll take it. Ollie Lyons, Podge Fogarty and Tommy Moolick were our best performers on the day as far as I'm concerned. Moolick kicked a great goal to cap off his display.

I thought Fergal Conway had a great game as well. The point that was a wide was amusing 4 year old karma for the Alan Smith point that wasn't given.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 13, 2014, 06:57:00 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 13, 2014, 05:52:15 PM
Quote from: thejuice on July 13, 2014, 05:10:14 PM
Funny, Kildare probably played almost identical to their game against us, but it worked today. But what does it tell anyone going up against Kildare. The gameplan is pretty evident now.

Pretty much apart from one or two tweaks. We had Gary White sweeping in front of the full back line today but he was probably only free because Down had a sweeper themselves. Fitzpatrick did well and was an improvement on Mick Foley. Apart from that Kildare were pretty much as you were the last day against Meath.

Callaghan started where Brophy would normally be positioned but was black carded early on. Smith looked sharp enough when he replaced him. Emmet Bolton was very lucky to escape a second yellow card at one stage in the second half when the game was still tight. Had Coldrick shown him the line we would probably have seen a different result.

I suppose Kildare were possibly due a bit of good fortune against Down so we'll take it. Ollie Lyons, Podge Fogarty and Tommy Moolick were our best performers on the day as far as I'm concerned. Moolick kicked a great goal to cap off his display.

I thought Fergal Conway had a great game as well. The point that was a wide was amusing 4 year old karma for the Alan Smith point that wasn't given.

He was very solid. Bit concerned when he was booked early on but he carried it well.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

T Fearon

Everyone in Armagh hoping for a clash with Lilywhites next weekend!

Jinxy

Quote from: Jinxy on July 09, 2014, 01:10:38 PM
I'd be quite confident Kildare will win this one with a bit to spare.
There will be a backlash and they probably finished with a stronger team than they started with against us.

Listen to this lad.
He knows his football.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dubh driocht

Tony,you might want them but you are wrong as Kildare are good. Watch the second half of the Meath game and see why James,Moyna and Jerome made a monumental error by not instructing the team to welt in to the Flourbags in the first twenty as Meath did. The defence stood off them and allowed Kildare to swan about and show what we know; that they are good footballers but don't have resilience. T O Se said that he was not convinced about them as they haven't produced when the chips were down and based on our second half perfmonance in Omagh we would have too much for them. Tomas seems to have forgotten about the first half in Omagh which is what we saw today from Down. Bolton,Conway and Kelly ran the show and Kildare were worthy winners.Too soon for a full postmortem but this was a decisive defeat with long term significance. I don't think Down supporters are going to put up with what we have seen but tolerated over last three years.The Eoin stuff,the ignoring of bad team behaviour by disrespectful attitude towards panel members and allowing RJ and JJ back in were the actions of a management team who crossed the line between confidence and arrogance.James was blessed with Marty Clarke in his first year and tbf his teams were always competitive ,often against the odds. Today was Kildare's day so good luck to them.Our last clash was the high watermark for James; today was the low.

Ohtoohtobe

One thing Ryan has got right is our conditioning, judging by the very strong finishes against Meath and Down.

We have a lot of faults but I don't think heart is one, not when you consider the age/inexperience of some of the players. A lot of the boys who stood up in the last 10 minutes in Down are aged 20-22. Now it might not look any big deal but put yourself in their shoes: torn apart in and outside the county after the Meath game, three key players missing through injury, two black cards, frittering away a five-point lead in a few minutes, draw match, against the wind, experienced players like Laverty and Poland and Coulter on the opposing team, home crowd finding its voice.

They might be a million miles off the Dublins and Mayos and Kerrys and even a bit behind the teams below that, but it wasn't an easy scenario is all I'm saying.

Unfortunately I live abroad so I'm restricted to radio commentary but it sounds like the players leading the late charge included Conway, Moolick, Niall Kelly, Podge etc so that bodes well for the future.

Final point, maybe Meath deserved more credit for what they did do us in the first 50 minutes than a lot of people were willing to give them.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on July 14, 2014, 01:12:40 AM
One thing Ryan has got right is our conditioning, judging by the very strong finishes against Meath and Down.

We have a lot of faults but I don't think heart is one, not when you consider the age/inexperience of some of the players. A lot of the boys who stood up in the last 10 minutes in Down are aged 20-22. Now it might not look any big deal but put yourself in their shoes: torn apart in and outside the county after the Meath game, three key players missing through injury, two black cards, frittering away a five-point lead in a few minutes, draw match, against the wind, experienced players like Laverty and Poland and Coulter on the opposing team, home crowd finding its voice.

They might be a million miles off the Dublins and Mayos and Kerrys and even a bit behind the teams below that, but it wasn't an easy scenario is all I'm saying.

Unfortunately I live abroad so I'm restricted to radio commentary but it sounds like the players leading the late charge included Conway, Moolick, Niall Kelly, Podge etc so that bodes well for the future.

Final point, maybe Meath deserved more credit for what they did do us in the first 50 minutes than a lot of people were willing to give them.

Not sure if you can understate how poorly we were but you're right credit should go to Meath. In fairness Mick O'Dowd doesn't have a big name but is doing a very good job and tactically against Kildare was very good and you can see he is slowly building a very competitive squad.
#newbridgeornowhere

snoopdog

Quote from: Dubh driocht on July 14, 2014, 12:15:39 AM
Tony,you might want them but you are wrong as Kildare are good. Watch the second half of the Meath game and see why James,Moyna and Jerome made a monumental error by not instructing the team to welt in to the Flourbags in the first twenty as Meath did. The defence stood off them and allowed Kildare to swan about and show what we know; that they are good footballers but don't have resilience. T O Se said that he was not convinced about them as they haven't produced when the chips were down and based on our second half perfmonance in Omagh we would have too much for them. Tomas seems to have forgotten about the first half in Omagh which is what we saw today from Down. Bolton,Conway and Kelly ran the show and Kildare were worthy winners.Too soon for a full postmortem but this was a decisive defeat with long term significance. I don't think Down supporters are going to put up with what we have seen but tolerated over last three years.The Eoin stuff,the ignoring of bad team behaviour by disrespectful attitude towards panel members and allowing RJ and JJ back in were the actions of a management team who crossed the line between confidence and arrogance.James was blessed with Marty Clarke in his first year and tbf his teams were always competitive ,often against the odds. Today was Kildare's day so good luck to them.Our last clash was the high watermark for James; today was the low.

yesterday must be the end of the Road for the management team, although who would want the job.  yesterday was terrible for the last 20 odd minutes there was barley a challenge made by a Down player, kildare were allowed to waltz through them. Why put all that commitment in over the year and do that yesterday

Brick Tamlin

Yesterday was waiting to happen for a while now.
Being touted as favourites from alot of quarters and from watching that game some of our players must have thought it was a matter of just showing up.
Bad day for the players, the management and the supporters.

Young Cunningham in goals is a fine keeper and im sure he will get better with experience but he is no Cluxton or Morgan when it comes to stroking over the dead balls. Also it was killing us how many times we failed to retain possession from our own kickouts. The days of booting it long and high (regardless if you have Dan Gordon in the middle) are truly done and gone. Why why why were we not kicking the ball to the sidelines 40-50 yards and allowing our men to run onto the ball to collect rather than having it launched down their throats forcing them to collect above their heads . I dont blame the goalie solely here but also the management and the players. Players werent exactly demanding the ball kicked into space. And when they did a la Conor Toner the kick wasnt made, thus rendering his run useless and also taking him out of the play whenever the kick was aimed down the middle. It just looked as though we had no kickout strategy at all for retaining our own restarts.

Defensively i thought we had our match-ups wrong as well as our tactics. Whenever Kildare had the ball we completely retreated into space in our defence. Yes we did make some interceptions and cut out some supply but whenever we have 3 spare men trottin back to fill gaps its cat looking especially whenever they dont tangibly influence play, force a tackle, hit the ball carrier or get involved in the play in some way. Too many times in first half we had players back marking space and Kildare still scored at will. If they had their boots on the would have been easily in double figures by half time.
In comparison to Kildare their defensive approach was alot better. They relied on sheer hunger, guts and determination to get themselves up our players holes on every occasion. See Emmet Bolton or Ollie Lyons. They epitomised Kildare's hunger and attitude on sunday, Bolton especially. Playing on the edge all day and risking the long walk off he snarled and bullied his way through the game and wasnt going to cow down to anyone in red jersey. He clearly got inside Poland's head and got the better of him, and his influence also rubbed off on other defenders which saw Conor McGinn, Poland, Lavery and O'Hare (Actually nearly all our forwards) bullied and outmuscled on more occasions than i care to remember.

From an offensive viewpoint it was a poor day at the office and a poor return from a talented group of players. When 32 yr old Benny Coulter is your best attacker it simply isnt good enough. He was as good as you could hope for and led the fightback after half time on his own nearly. Not enough players weighed in to support or hurt the scoreboard. Laverty was kept in check by an able marker and when he is quiet like that he is made look very average. Donal O'Hare doesnt do enough from open play and the further he roams from the square the less effective he becomes.

Why bring on Ryan Johnson and replace him 15mins later? Why bring Damian Turley (a corner back) on in his place into the half forward line? Where has Aidan Carr gone to? Why wasnt Jerome Johnson used after making an impact in most previous games he played. Is Ambrose or Doyle not fit to play any part at all? Why invite Shea McArdle onto the squad in the last week or so and him only off a plane from a year in spain? To the casual observer some of the stuff that has went on this year is baffling.

Id expect alot of the older heads on that panel to step down after this year and id also expect the management to go too.
James got us to an All Ireland Final where a kick of the ball was the difference in the 2 teams. He also got us to Div1 where we were well able to compete at that time. I dont see many more being able to do that right away but i do think its time for a different voice and set up. McCorry/Dawson would be my choices. But cant see the county board goin for that.

stew

Quote from: Agent Orange on July 13, 2014, 06:08:41 PM
I hear McCartan informed the players that he is going. He left the ground pretty sharpish according to a friend who was at the game.

Down and Trone out, not a bad oul day at all.

Well said our fellah, cant happen enough!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

PAULD123

We could spend hours analyzing and dissecting Down's performances. But for me there is one overriding feature. Those players do not look happy. They do not seem t believe in the plan (if there is one!!). For a couple of years now their heads drop when in trouble. Worse is that when the game is starting they look nervous or worried. there is no optimism or joy in their faces. They look like a bunch of lads that simply don't believe.