An Dun -v- Cill Dara AIQ R2

Started by Aristo 60, June 30, 2014, 09:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Very hard to know what to expect from Kildare. It's potentially a winnable game if we alter our tactical gameplan to offer the full back line a lot more protection. Equally we could ship a heavy beating if we are not clued in again.

Hoping to see a more organised defensive structure and a lot more aggression and urgency in the performance. Doubtful whether that will be enough to get the win in Down's backyard.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

drici

Sunday
2-00pm   Páirc Esler

elk

Quote from: A man from Down on July 07, 2014, 01:23:39 PM
You would imagine so Ardtole. Big Dan has done well on the likes of Michael Murphy and Star Donaghy in there to name a few however if Dan was to play well in the middle you would hope the supply going into the Kildare Full forward line would be limited. Bit of a dilemma for James but at least there is a choice.

I would like to see:

Cunningham
D McCartan
McArdle
O'Hagan
Garvey
Turley
R Johnston
McKernan
Gordon
Coulter
Maginn
Poland
O'Hare
J Johnston
Laverty
Agree largely, but I would start C Mc Cartan instead of R. Johnston.

Mourne Rover

Elk is right to point out that it would be harsh to drop Ciaran McCartan after a promising debut, and most Down fans would be amazed if Madine did not start as well. The odds must be that the Kilcoo trio will be on the bench after their holiday trip, although they are well capable of making an impact whenever they are introduced.

Kildare will not be lacking motivation after unexpectedly losing to Meath in a game which had a level of intenstity way ahead of Down's training stroll against an understrength Leitrim.  There will probably not be much between the teams, so avoiding black cards, particularly in the early stages, could be the key.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 30, 2014, 12:43:59 PM
Never been to Páirc Esler so directions and parking tips much appreciated. Will be looking for a quick exit  :D

It's very walkable from the centre of town Dinny, so you can just turn your veh-hick-il! ;) around 180 degrees and point her homewards on the Dublin Road, before or around the Quays shopping complex on your right hand side before you cross any bridge. It's a 10 minute walk from there over the bridge, taking a right down by the river.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 07, 2014, 11:43:01 PM
Never been to Páirc Esler so directions and parking tips much appreciated. Will be looking for a quick exit  :D

It's very walkable from the centre of town Dinny, so you can just turn your veh-hick-il! ;) around 180 degrees and point her homewards on the Dublin Road, before or around the Quays shopping complex on your right hand side before you cross any bridge. It's a 10 minute walk from there over the bridge, taking a right down by the river.

Thank you Sir.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 07, 2014, 11:43:01 PM

For a typical Kildare vehicle on a standard road, that's a 9 point turn.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Gabriel

Ciaran McCartan did rightly the last day out but it'd surely be unwise to base his suitability to start against Kildare on what was effectively a practice match against Leitrim. In terms of quality, intensity and physicality it will be a massive step up. I'd expect Carr to come back in at CHB and McArdle returning in the full backs, possibly with Gordon or Turley for cover as we saw in the championship last year. Also hope we stick with Cunningham in goals, the time has come to install him as long-term keeper instead of playing him in fits and starts.

seafoid

Kildare are 15/2 in some places

http://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/down-v-kildare/winner

Is that a fair price ? I thought they'd be better than that.

thewobbler

Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2014, 10:44:58 AM
Kildare are 15/2 in some places

http://www.oddschecker.com/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/down-v-kildare/winner

Is that a fair price ? I thought they'd be better than that.

The draw is 15/2 not Kildare!

Kildare are around 6/4, which is still a pretty good price - but home advantage is a huge thing in these qualifiers.

Captain Scarlet

Paul Cribbin and Sean Hurley both played fir their club on Saturday. Presume that means they are not in the match day squad. Anyone else see club action iver the weekend?!
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 09, 2014, 09:46:11 AM
Paul Cribbin and Sean Hurley both played fir their club on Saturday. Presume that means they are not in the match day squad. Anyone else see club action iver the weekend?!

Ryan allows players play for their clubs if he feels they need games time, Cribben certainly those and maybe he felt Hurley could do with a run to find some form. Mulhall, Hyland and Flynn all played in Moorefield/Athy game as well.

No convinced that Ryan actually know what he is doing at all, all I want to see is some sort of defensive improvement on Sunday, I don't think I will.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

I'd be quite confident Kildare will win this one with a bit to spare.
There will be a backlash and they probably finished with a stronger team than they started with against us.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 09, 2014, 09:46:11 AM

What was the nature of Paul Cribbin's injury? He didn't appear to be with the squad the last day. Successive Kildare managers have tried to turn him into a half back which I cannot fathom at all. He would be one of my first names on the teamsheet in the forward line.

Hurley appears to be something of an enigma. All the talent in the world but appears to be far too languid to make it as a senior inter-county midfielder at the moment. He probably got away with that at underage and Sigerson level where he could physically dominate players without too much effort. Is his Aussie Rules contract a done deal in the Autumn?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Zulu

Haven't seen too much of Hurley but if he is too languid for football would he not be too languid for AR?