Cork to Bantry options.

Started by Last Man, December 30, 2015, 10:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Folks I am travelling from Cork city in the next couple of hours, whats my best options since hearing the Bandon road is closed. Local knowledge appreciated.

Hardy

Are you driving? I see the Bandon road is close at the viaduct. That's just outside Cork city. If it's not closed anywhere else (I don't know), just take the airport road/Kinsale road (N27/R600). Turn right at Fivemilebridge and join the N71 to Bandon at Ballinhassig. Signing is reasonably OK.

If you get blocked on this route, try going back to the Kinsale road and go as far as Kinsale and then up to Bandon or on through Ballinspittle and Timoleague to Clonakilty and Bantry.

Last Man

Should I chance the Dunmanway road out of Bandon or stick to the main road? Thanks for yourhelp btw

Hardy

I would because I wouldn't see any reason to go the long way unless there's information that the road is flooded. Cork County Council has a press release about flooded roads and that road is not mentioned. 

Last Man

Thanks Hardy, that worked out grand, Inishannon to Bandon is a diversion but after that no hassle

Hardy

T Fearon

I bet if you travel from Bantry up to Derry quay or from Galway to Dublin town,you'll not see one as fair as the Star of the County Down