Armagh V Louth - March 16th 7pm Athletic Grounds

Started by AFS, March 14, 2013, 10:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

regal

Could someone post their ratings as to how they felt the players performed tonight?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: regal on March 16, 2013, 11:00:28 PM
Could someone post their ratings as to how they felt the players performed tonight?

Why put ratings up? Armagh were shite and that's that. If we don't get relegated this year they will be playing in Loughgiel when they play Antrim next year.

Done my bet the cocks!! Should have listened to Yellowcard!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Throw ball

Bit of an odd match tonight. Never thought Armagh were going to lose until injury time! Then they did. The first sending off left Armagh a man down for a long time but they still held a less than steady upper hand. When Louth were also reduced to 14 it looked as if Armagh were destined to win but then with all subs used Lavery got hurt and had to go off and Armagh had nothing left in the tank and Louth smelt blood. Gave over.

As for the game in general did not see what the Armagh corner back got his first yellow for but the referee was definitely right with the second. Thought the Louth player was also correctly given 2 yellows. Not sure on the Louth penalty as if it was a foul I thought it was outside the box. Was missed anyway. The free at the end that got Louth level should have been hopped for time but McKeever's antics as water boy probably made sure that it wasn't. Very silly. Would also want to know what reason  Louth's Brian White had to run, after the final whistle, up to Declan McKenna and roar in his face. Could have led to a very unsavoury incident if not for the midfielder leading him away.

Finally, referees get a lot of criticism but I thought overall Kinsella had a very good game tonight. He easily gave the best refereeing performance I have seen in the league this year - and yes my team lost!

David McKeown

Quote from: bennydorano on March 16, 2013, 10:12:05 PM
The Lavery injury / unable to replace him because we'd used our sub ultimately was the difference. Overall an entertaining game but very little good in it from an Armagh developmental POV. Some of the subs brought on weakened the team significantly, some of the fellas left on has me questioning the management as well. Defensively a shambles & continually exposed, pretty decent round MF, Harald impressive although he could do what he does from HF, McParland best of forwards.

If Vernon cant get 15 mins on that side, he's a very bleak future under PG.

I wasn't at the game, did Armagh finish with 13 men? If so why was a blood sub not brought on?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Orior

When you consider the missed penalty, Armagh should have lost by more.

One of my very earliest Armagh memories was my Dad returning from a Louth v Armagh match circa 1972 and he says "They couldnt even beat Louth".

It seems we are swiftly returning to the bad old days.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bennydorano

Quote from: David McKeown on March 17, 2013, 03:03:47 PM
The Lavery injury / unable to replace him because we'd used our sub ultimately was the difference. Overall an entertaining game but very little good in it from an Armagh developmental POV. Some of the subs brought on weakened the team significantly, some of the fellas left on has me questioning the management as well. Defensively a shambles & continually exposed, pretty decent round MF, Harald impressive although he could do what he does from HF, McParland best of forwards.

I wasn't at the game, did Armagh finish with 13 men? If so why was a blood sub not brought on?
Yes, we were discussing that very point. Is there a rule you cant bring a blood sub on when you've used all your subs?

David McKeown

Quote from: bennydorano on March 17, 2013, 05:17:07 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 17, 2013, 03:03:47 PM

Yes, we were discussing that very point. Is there a rule you cant bring a blood sub on when you've used all your subs?

Not that I was aware off unless something has changed in the last season or two
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Throw ball

I think you can only bring on a temporary sub under the rules. Do not think Lavery injury would have qualified.

All of a Sludden

Good to get the win last though it could have gone either way. Louth missed plenty of chances but showed a bit of character to score the last three points. One more win will ensure survival.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

T Fearon

Armagh have never had a great record against Louth.I recall they were the first team to beat Armagh,in 1977 after the All Ireland Final appearance,and also recall them winning at the old Athletic Grounds in 1996 or 1997.

If we go down to Division 3 it's all over for Armagh,interest will wane and it will be like the early 70s when we famously struggled to field 15 players against Leitrim.

naka

Armagh have been poor this season, I can't understand the tactics nor the changes during the game.
We have a decent squad probably mid second division but performances have been mediocre this season.
Paul has his work cut out because I can see us being relegated and if Cavan beat us he should be under pressure.
I have been at all the games this season and really don't see a plan being formulated on the pitch.

AFS

Quote from: naka on March 17, 2013, 09:58:59 PM
Armagh have been poor this season, I can't understand the tactics nor the changes during the game.
We have a decent squad probably mid second division but performances have been mediocre this season.
Paul has his work cut out because I can see us being relegated and if Cavan beat us he should be under pressure.
I have been at all the games this season and really don't see a plan being formulated on the pitch.

There's a plan alright, but the players aren't good enough at the minute to make it work. Press high up the pitch and hit quick, long ball into the FF line. Unfortunately, neither our FB nor FF lines seems strong enough for this sort of system. And in the absence of the men designated to hit the quick, long balls (McKeever, Kernan, Dyas) the wheels come off completely (see Hanratty's horror reel of 'passes' the other night). Things will improve when we get back to something approaching a full deck of players, but you have to wonder has Grimley overestimated the talent available employing such an ambitious style of play.

AFS

Poor football with a dead atmosphere the other night. Thought if anything we edged it a little in terms of general play, but our scoring threat was weak. The Louth equaliser was a bit of a sickener as the momentum seemed to be with us at that point, but for them to go on and win the game was a real kick in the balls. Lavery's injury was definitely a factor in those closing stages.

Thought our two corner backs, Morgan and Donnelly, were going alright until one got injured and the other sent off. McKenna looks more at home at CHB than elsewhere; I think he's the man for that position if we're going to persevere with McKeever on the wing. Midfield did well, with Harold having his best game to date. Kernan put in a decent shift up front, just a pity he was the one caught in possession for the free that helped swing the match Louth's way. McParland was alright too, but needed more help and better ball.

Donaghy is still miles from his best, although he was up against a very good player in Lennon. Duffy isn't a HB, loose doesn't even come close to describing his style of marking. Didn't notice Moriarty too much. I'm a fan of Rafferty, but he's been very average recently. Don't think Hanratty is the answer at CHF, his passing was very poor. Thought Campbell was more involved than previously, but needs to do a lot more; probably playing out of position to be fair. Forker wasn't great, like the rest of the FF line he could've done with better ball.

Dropping to Division Three would be shit. If we were to come straight back up there mightn't be too much damage done, but there's every chance that we'd get stuck down there. There's still quite a young panel there and they need the experience of playing the strongest opposition possible over the next couple of years.

bennydorano

What ever happened with Mal Mackin? Any gossip even?

John o connor

:'(Be careful what you wish for lol,Come back P O R all is forgiven  ;D