Being a neutral supporter for All-Ireland finals

Started by blanketattack, September 03, 2012, 02:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

This is my first All-Ireland final that I'll be watching as a neutral since 1998, since then I've shouted for Meath, Kerry, Galway, Kerry, Tyrone, Kerry, Kerry, Kerry, Kerry, Kerry, Kerry, Down and Kerry.
What's your last neutral final where you genuinely had no inclination one way or the other in your support?

On a separate issue I'd never attend an All-Ireland final as a neutral supporter as I feel it'd be wrong to take the seat of someone from one of the 2 (or 4) counties involved, especially when I've gotten to see almost 20 All-Ireland finals involving my own county (Kerry), but then I think if that was the way everyone did things then someone from let's say Laois would go their whole life without witnessing an All-Ireland final.

Syferus

Quote from: blanketattack on September 03, 2012, 02:28:10 PM
This is my first All-Ireland final that I'll be watching as a neutral since 1998, since then I've shouted for Meath, Kerry, Galway, Kerry, Tyrone, Kerry, Kerry, Kerry, Kerry, Kerry, Kerry, Down and Kerry.
What's your last neutral final where you genuinely had no inclination one way or the other in your support?

On a separate issue I'd never attend an All-Ireland final as a neutral supporter as I feel it'd be wrong to take the seat of someone from one of the 2 (or 4) counties involved, especially when I've gotten to see almost 20 All-Ireland finals involving my own county (Kerry), but then I think if that was the way everyone did things then someone from let's say Laois would go their whole life without witnessing an All-Ireland final.

1996 and 1997, bucko!

GalwayBayBoy

Once we're gone (which is usually fairly early on in recent years) I never particularly care who wins after that. Don't think I've ever gone to an All-Ireland final in either football or hurling as a neutral. Will be in Croke Park next Sunday. Last time I was there for a final was 2005.

blewuporstuffed

to be honest i wouldnt feel one bit bad about going to an allireland final as a neutral, half the couty supporters from both teams will be just people that have just jumped on the bandwagon now they are in the final.(i dont mean just dionegal & mayo, the same applies every year to every county)
most of them would niether go to a national league game or even a club game.
Anyone who is a 'true' supporter, usually has no bother getting a ticket.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

haze

Quote from: Syferus on September 03, 2012, 02:44:58 PM

1996 and 1997, bucko!

yeah and 1998 and 2003, granted they are not Senior All Irelands! I have been to a few finals as a neutral - the last one being 2009 hurling final between Tipp and Kilkenny. Though, such is the novel pairing, I am not going to look for tickets for the football final this year as I also feel some (misplaced) guilt towards possibly taking a ticket from a genuine fan from the participating county.

seafoid

The then 4 Sams versus the Dubs

I like Down but the Dubs badly needed an all Ireland at the time

deiseach

I'm never neutral in any inter-county match. This isn't Real Madrid v Barcelona, I'll always unearth some ancient grudge that will give me someone to root against.

LeoMc

Quote from: seafoid on September 03, 2012, 03:43:40 PM

The then 4 Sams versus the Dubs

I like Down but the Dubs badly needed an all Ireland at the time

Same as that but I was in the Canal end and therefore felt I should be supporting Down.

johnneycool

Quote from: deiseach on September 03, 2012, 04:08:13 PM
I'm never neutral in any inter-county match. This isn't Real Madrid v Barcelona, I'll always unearth some ancient grudge that will give me someone to root against.

I'd always support the underdog in hurling (but wouldn't lose any sleep if they didn't win) in particular if they're playing Kilkenny, Cork and to a lesser extent Tipp who I'm beginning to feel sorry for of recent as they're glory days are in a bygone era before my time.

screenexile

Unless I'm cheering for a particular team a match doesn't have any real interest for me. Generally I'm an underdog man but I'll be supporting Donegal on this occasion. I'll be down that weekend as well so hopefully I can get my hands on a couple of ticeidi . . . been to couple of All Ireland Finals as a neutral and enjoyed them so hopefully the same prevails this time.

Just to be clear I don't think tickets should be handed out willy nilly to schools/every club/America etc. but if I can get my hands on one I won't be turning it down!

Syferus

Would jump on AI tickets if I got near 'em. This year, even beyond being from the northwest, can't fail to be special in some way. Every man and woman for themselves, the reality is it's rarely us poor feckers that are out watching our teams in Januray (I did see Mayo in Janurary too.. just sayin' ;) ) who end up without an avenue to turn to for tickets. I think as neutrals we've more than earnt card-carding status when it comes to the showpiece.

Aristo 60

To sorta turn the topic on it's head I 've been to 8 all ireland football finals and in only one did I want to see both teams beaten....

I let you the reader decide which one !

1991, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004 & 2010

seafoid

Quote from: Aristo 60 on September 03, 2012, 04:45:37 PM
To sorta turn the topic on it's head I 've been to 8 all ireland football finals and in only one did I want to see both teams beaten....

has to be 03

Aristo 60

Quote from: seafoid on September 03, 2012, 04:51:36 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on September 03, 2012, 04:45:37 PM

has to be 03

Ahhh you know me as well as me own mum  ;D

BennyCake

So why go then, aristo?? You deprived someone from either county a ticket.