Worst Job Ever?

Started by BarryBreensBandage, March 04, 2011, 12:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drici

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on March 05, 2011, 06:15:08 AM

The whole talk about the left over bit of the cattle was that they had a special bin for them to be minced and sent to McDonalds. They got the worst of the worst.

That sounds offal.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: mc_grens on March 04, 2011, 07:17:08 AM
I think the lads holding up signs all day on Grafton St. have a pretty soul sucking job.
There's a girl holds up a sign on a main road near where I live for some sort of shop.
I can't think of anything worse and in the name of God what is the benefit for a business to pay someone to stand and hold a sign  ???
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tyrones own

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 05, 2011, 10:52:12 AM
I think the lads holding up signs all day on Grafton St. have a pretty soul sucking job.
There's a girl holds up a sign on a main road near where I live for some sort of shop.
I can't think of anything worse and in the name of God what is the benefit for a business to pay someone to stand and hold a sign  ???
Minimum wage pay and it drives traffic to your place of business in droves
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Puckoon

I understand the minimum wage part TO, but I've never even contemplated going to any of the businesses that employ these sign bearers. It obviously works, as these people are everywhere, but I don't understand how. It certainly doesn't work on me.

Aerlik

It is not unknownf for traffic management staff to earn A$80,000/year working in outback Aus.  Mind you standing out in the fecking sun for 12 hours a day everyday...no thanks.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tyrones own on March 06, 2011, 05:56:40 AM
Why can't they put the sign up on a pole?
Maybe more people notice it if it's someone holding it but I highly doubt that there's enough sales generated from it to justify a person's wage. Like Puck, I would never go to a place that has someone doing that. 

Hardy

You don't support businesses that employ people?

Lar Naparka

How about earning your crust as a sewer worker? The very thought of it makes my skin creep.
I've a pal who works as a bin man for Dublin City Council and I'd certainly not fancy his job but to hear him go on about those who maintain and repair the sewers is enough to make me switch out of the conversation.
For starters, the system is overrun by rats. That, btw, is  a natural part of  the whole process and the sewerage disposal wouldn't work efficiently without the rats that are needed to break down the you know what and the discarded food bits that would otherwise clog up the system.
Apparently, a fairly close watch is kept on rat movements in the underground system and it can be necessary at times to increase the number of those little furry rodents in a particular area. So, in the dead of night when they is no one about to see what is going on some council workers come along with buckets of food scraps and empty them down selected manholes. Some time later, one of the workers may have to be lowered into the sewer below to do a visual inspection.
There are times too when pipe joints have to be repaired and when sludge builds up and some one has to come along with a brush and shovel to loosen the mass and get it moving again. The poor bloke has to be extra careful to ensure he is not knocked off his feet when the buildup behind the blockage starts to flow again.
It seems rats are inclined to stampede. Hundreds of them can take off without warning and race from one place to another.
Pity the poor hoor who happens to be working at something or other when the rats coming flying along!
All he can do is to stop moving and try and curl up as much as possible and let them climb all over him. He has to make sure at all times that his overalls are zipped up tight and that his neck is covered so a rat doesn't get stuck anywhere inside his clothing.
If the rat is trapped, it will bite so the workers have to stay covered up from top to bottom even though the place is stifling hot. To add to the horrors, the smell must be truly awful.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 06, 2011, 01:09:33 PM
How about earning your crust as a sewer worker? The very thought of it makes my skin creep.
I've a pal who works as a bin man for Dublin City Council and I'd certainly not fancy his job but to hear him go on about those who maintain and repair the sewers is enough to make me switch out of the conversation.
For starters, the system is overrun by rats. That, btw, is  a natural part of  the whole process and the sewerage disposal wouldn't work efficiently without the rats that are needed to break down the you know what and the discarded food bits that would otherwise clog up the system.
Apparently, a fairly close watch is kept on rat movements in the underground system and it can be necessary at times to increase the number of those little furry rodents in a particular area. So, in the dead of night when they is no one about to see what is going on some council workers come along with buckets of food scraps and empty them down selected manholes. Some time later, one of the workers may have to be lowered into the sewer below to do a visual inspection.
There are times too when pipe joints have to be repaired and when sludge builds up and some one has to come along with a brush and shovel to loosen the mass and get it moving again. The poor bloke has to be extra careful to ensure he is not knocked off his feet when the buildup behind the blockage starts to flow again.
It seems rats are inclined to stampede. Hundreds of them can take off without warning and race from one place to another.
Pity the poor hoor who happens to be working at something or other when the rats coming flying along!
All he can do is to stop moving and try and curl up as much as possible and let them climb all over him. He has to make sure at all times that his overalls are zipped up tight and that his neck is covered so a rat doesn't get stuck anywhere inside his clothing.
If the rat is trapped, it will bite so the workers have to stay covered up from top to bottom even though the place is stifling hot. To add to the horrors, the smell must be truly awful.
Dublin is full of shit.

Maguire01

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 06, 2011, 11:42:09 AM
Maybe more people notice it if it's someone holding it but I highly doubt that there's enough sales generated from it to justify a person's wage. Like Puck, I would never go to a place that has someone doing that.
I imagine they're not allowed. Otherwise it would obviously be a lot cheaper.

illdecide

There is some stories told here FFS. Rats don't serve any purpose in treating sewage, thats what treatment works are for. Rats don't surge in Hundreds and crawl down men's boiler suits :D :D :D

Don't even know why i'm responding to that post...lol. Lar i can't believe you took that serious from someone :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 06, 2011, 02:37:31 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 06, 2011, 11:42:09 AM
I imagine they're not allowed. Otherwise it would obviously be a lot cheaper.
The road I'm talking about has signs on loads of poles, I can't see how they wouldn't be allowed.

Quote from: Hardy on March 06, 2011, 12:57:50 PM
Not in that way, no.  I would try and avoid businesses who have reputations for treating staff poorly also. 

Hardy

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Hardy on March 06, 2011, 03:36:28 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 06, 2011, 02:59:51 PM
Not in that way, no. 

Why?
There is one in Belfast, Royal Ave. Haven't even looked at the sign so don't know what the business is. It is degrading more than anything.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hardy on March 06, 2011, 03:36:28 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 06, 2011, 02:59:51 PM
Not in that way, no. 

Why?
Because I feel bad for someone who has to do that. I see it as degrading. I'd bet they're not even getting minimum wage and I don't think it's necessary.  I don't think like people/companies who don't treat their staff right.  Like if I ran a business I'd never ask/expect someone to stand out holding a sign for it.