St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

Very exciting semi final line up. Harps v Curry will be a cracker. Coolera v tubber will just as tight with coolera for me the favourites. Hope there played as a double header in markievicz. Ive backed harps all yr and its hard to see anyone stopping them but curry wont be a pushover. And curry having a tough qtr which was 11-10 at one stage will have learned alot more than harps in there qtr. Should be interesting.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Following a meeting of the CCC the fixtures for the Semi Finals of the Senior & Intermediate Championship have been announced along with the Final of the Senior Championship Relegation.

Saturday 13-September-08

McCormack Fuels - Intermediate Championship
semi Final

Coolaney/Mullinabreena      V   St Michaels                    Markievicz Park      4:30 PM

Sligo Estates - Senior Championship
Semi Final

Curry                                V   Eastern Harps                Markievicz Park      6:00 PM             

Sunday 14-September-08

Sligo Estates - Senior Championship Relegation
Final

Geevagh                           V   St Marys                        Tubbercurry           12:00PM

McCormack Fuels - Intermediate Championship
Semi Final
Eastern Harps                    V   St Molaise Gaels             Markievicz Park      2:30 PM

Sligo Estates - Senior Championship
Semi Final

Coolera/Strandhill              V   Tubbercurry                   Markievicz Park      4:00 PM

SLIGONIAN

Sligo U18 A semi final results

Calry st joesphs 2-14 Coolera strandhill 1-7

Curry 1-16 St Molaise Gaels 3-7

Was in tubber this evening in great conditions for football, a bit of a breeze but sunny. Caught the 2nd half of carlys win and they were well in control being 2-8 to 2 up at ht against the breeze. However from what i saw 2nd half coolera played with alot of pride and passion being led by the 2 misfielders started to get alot of possession into there forwards. Coolera did miss a goal or 2 2nd half which could of made things tighter. Main reason i saw for losing was the coolera gk is a good shot stopper but his kickouts were dire, no variation and no real length and no gameplan, the other reason was the intensity of calry forwards, the running off the ball picking off scores came alot easier.,

The 2nd game between my club St Molaise Gaels and curry was a repeat of the u16a 2yrs ago. This game was outstanding, it was pulstaing 2nd half especially. I am so proud of our lads. Since the u16 weve lost 5 of that team already so we were a bit abrehandsive going into today especially with johnny kelly and keelan watters carrying injuries and the sligo manning cup winning captain also injured liam kennedy. Both teams started brightly with niall keegan corner back outstanding in the first half for us. We got a peno which was dispatched by darren gilsenan who had a quiet 1st half. We held the lead for a while and curry tagged on a few late scores. Personnally thought 2 of currys first 5 pts were dodgy being wide IMO, im certain on 1. We also hit the underside of the crossbar in the 1st from excellent effort from our 22. An attack which yielded nothing. At HT it was 10 to 1-2 in currys favour with us against the wind. 2nd half curry blitzed with 4 unanawered scores with david maye and no 8 pulling the strings.

Then an almighty fightback, we started to cut loose got an goal from a gret direct trademark run from gilsenan who passed to no22...we started to get more possession around the with james brennan playing well. We tagged on a few points and then another goal to leave it 3-6 to 16 pts with 10 mins left. During our dominace period we didnt miss a huge pile but our direct running opened up several goal chances which werent clincally taken and soft efforts into the gk instead.

Tension was rising, there was an altercation on the sideline which really angered me, the ball went out of play and our selector picked it up as the curry selector was beside him and the ball was dropped but the curry and our selector were side to side (shoulder to shoulder) and the curry fella gave our buck a wee tip of shoulder and our selector replied with a tip of a shoulder back, the curry selector fell to grd holding his face >:(, and shouted CALL THE GUARDS ::), this enraged me and all our support who were no more than 7yards directly behind the incident, our selector was sent off. Then cute curry f*cker then held his nose for what i do not know. This was similar to aidan o mahony incindent except worse. It was  a sneeze of shoulder our selector gave him, his hands were both down by his side and it had little or no force behind it. I was in rage and i roared abuse at the curry selector who went a bit red in the face i might add. f*cking diving b*stard. Great role model for his young team.

The main other negative which pissed me off was I counted nine times in the 2nd half alone the physio came on to tend to curry players who werent injured. it was clearly a tacticall ploy and the gobshite of a ref hadnt the brains to cop it even though our selector let him know. Michael duffy is a useless ref.

So with 10 mins the game was anyones and we were attacking at pace and j kelly gave a vital pass which started a move for curry which ended up in our net sadly. We got a late free and bombarded there goal but curry held on. We probably deserved a draw considering the amount of openings we created but just wasnt to be. Great game full of positves except for the above 2 negatives.

I wish calry the best of luck in the final ;). North Sligo abu.

magpie seanie

Was hoping to meet you there yesterday but circumstances prevented me from arriving. There was a big upset in our camp before the game (to do with jersies) so I had to turn back and ended up arriving late to the game. I think that partially explains our dire first half display. Also, some changes to our team due to lads playing other games that morning hurt us. Glad we played with a bit of pride in the second half but first half was chronic. It was a typical case of the wind ruining a teams approach. The lads completely went away from their normal style of play (shot from too far out, bombed high ball into FF line) and it was only in the second half they played their normal stuff. Our team is very young so hope for the next couple of years. I think you're a bit harsh on our keeper. He's still u-16 and no matter where he kicked it at times we were losing it (I thought he did vary it a bit though late on most kicks ended up under the stand). The wind was tough in the second half for him but he's a good lad and will end up being a top 'keeper.

I had to head off straight after our game so didn't see any of the Curry/Molaise game. From a friend of mine who was there he reckoned it was a much higher standard game with Molaise a little unlucky. He also said that the antics of the Curry manager (originally from Laneboro I believe) were an thundering disgrace. The incident was described to me exactly as Sligonian put it and this eejit went round holding his chin for the rest of the game. From playing against and watching the Molaise Gaels selector involved over the years I'd vouch for the fact that he's a very nice fella and good football man. Sounds like Michael Duffy had a poor hour though to be honest I rate him the best in the county.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 07, 2008, 01:41:32 PM
Was hoping to meet you there yesterday but circumstances prevented me from arriving. There was a big upset in our camp before the game (to do with jersies) so I had to turn back and ended up arriving late to the game. I think that partially explains our dire first half display. Also, some changes to our team due to lads playing other games that morning hurt us. Glad we played with a bit of pride in the second half but first half was chronic. It was a typical case of the wind ruining a teams approach. The lads completely went away from their normal style of play (shot from too far out, bombed high ball into FF line) and it was only in the second half they played their normal stuff. Our team is very young so hope for the next couple of years. I think you're a bit harsh on our keeper. He's still u-16 and no matter where he kicked it at times we were losing it (I thought he did vary it a bit though late on most kicks ended up under the stand). The wind was tough in the second half for him but he's a good lad and will end up being a top 'keeper.

I had to head off straight after our game so didn't see any of the Curry/Molaise game. From a friend of mine who was there he reckoned it was a much higher standard game with Molaise a little unlucky. He also said that the antics of the Curry manager (originally from Laneboro I believe) were an thundering disgrace. The incident was described to me exactly as Sligonian put it and this eejit went round holding his chin for the rest of the game. From playing against and watching the Molaise Gaels selector involved over the years I'd vouch for the fact that he's a very nice fella and good football man. Sounds like Michael Duffy had a poor hour though to be honest I rate him the best in the county.

Ya when myself and Dad arrived i found it strange that ye were wearing black and white jerseys, i was expecting red as there is no colour clash with calry. What were lads playing other sports on the morning of county semi, that is awful disappointing to hear. Ya with underage teams its hard to instill tactics and make them work the ball in even with a wind behind you. That happens alot where the FF is barely used at all and midfield and HF shooting on sight from 35+ out and missing with wind behind them. Maybe im am being a bit harsh but to be honest i wasnt blaming him totally, i was sitting in the car for the 2nd half about 10 yrds behind yer goal and he was looking for guidance which never came, and too many times messed up short kickouts and nearly everyone ended up under the stand with a calry man sitting underneath because thats where the wind was blowing. Good shot stopper but in fairness you have to have a plan with kickouts especially if keeper hasnt the longest drive and that responsibilty is yer management. I just could see ye can improve alot in that area where i saw no evidence of any gameplan being done thats all. He showed courage with point blank saves and he showed he cared on many occasions too which are good signs but he needs guidance on kickouts.

You know the incident with the curry manager was a disgrace, but the thing that scares me is deviousness of him to shout call the guards. He was doing his best to turn a nothing situation into a monster by falling to ground. He really angered me seeing his antics. I also felt extremely sorry for our selector who merely stood his ground and brush his shoulder and got sent off. In fairness to duffy he didnt see through alot of people but seen yer man collapse and probably assumed he decked him. Our selector went on to the pitch and the end of the game and shook hands with curry fella in front of the ref. Hopefuly that will put an end to it. Personnally our selector showed great restraint and dignity not further fuelling the anger and disappointment at the end. I would of decked properly at the end so he is a bigger man than me. Lets hope this guy doenst get near any other gaa teams in our county, not a great role model.

On a sidenote is there anything a ref can do with players getting treatment after every foul as a tactical ploy, like when it happens over 12 times in a match. Duffy did nothing all day even when our selector went on and told him ffs. It was so blantant.

magpie seanie

QuoteOn a sidenote is there anything a ref can do with players getting treatment after every foul as a tactical ploy, like when it happens over 12 times in a match. Duffy did nothing all day even when our selector went on and told him ffs. It was so blantant.

It is terrible and I've often been frustrated by it but also I'll admit I've seen teams I as supporting do it. To me there is only one solution - ref allows play to continue but one or two deginated "medical" personnel per team are allowed enter the field at any time to tend to a player. If play continued only the really injured guys would stay down. For obvious serious injuries stop play - that goes without saying.

QuoteOur selector went on to the pitch and the end of the game and shook hands with curry fella in front of the ref.

I wouldn't have done that in the same circumstances. "Call the guards" - that was a real sc**bag act. Don't think he'll ever get any job in the county - lads in his own club will be embarrassed with that carry on.

SLIGONIAN

You know lads, watching KK today was an honour and it just got me thinking whats there secret etc..how do they do it?

I think this is as close to the answer as I'll ever get. I went to the Munster hurling final this yr in limerick with aTipp man living in St Molaise gaels area who co manages our u12s. He said they were struggling to get 15 young fellas to turn out for us. He said to me he a brother in law involved with a club the same size as ours in KK and they have over 90 kids at u12 turning up every sat and 6 teams which play each other as training, they have our 20 people involved in u12 for a club the same size as my own. He said to me that even in his native tipp you were a nobody if werent involved in the GAA, an out cast... one thing i took home from the munster hurling final was how early the tipp fans were in for the minor match. Nearly all tipp fans were there early for that game. My tipp friend said you most of them would be asked that evening in the pub to talk about the minor match aswell and youd get castigated for not knowing.

Main reason i say this weve 5 or 6 good players from u16 to u18 due to none interest and these are good players. More we will lose. All the kids that keep at it are from GAA families. There is the answer the amount of GAA families in other counties makes it near impossible for us. Having 90 kids with 6 odd teams is like a county nearly in itself. Your going to produce great players. Its just about facilitating that.

In sligo like look at what seanie said some players played on the morning of county semi final. You be shot for that in other counties but we cant afford to. It just doesnt mean enough etc...

Maybe the starting point is go to door to door and get more families involved. It has huge long term benefits in terms of staying away from negative aspects of life.. Are our clubs selling the ethos of GAA enough. Is it possible to get more youngsters playing GAA. Why cant a club as big as mine not get loads of kids out for u12s?

Are the GAA summer camps enough? Once a yr and from what i saw the FAI camps looked more impressive.. Do clubs bring youngsters up to croker every yr for a day out and all ireland semi? I was clare 95 semi against Galway...which made a lasting impression, but i was already  hooked. Ive spoke to plenty of young lads who may head the soccer route and I always say this its either croke park or showgrounds and i know which id chose..

But its not just about the Kids is about the parents aswell i just think we Sligo forget that maybe well in my club we do. Theres a whole other essay on schools aswell and ive rambled on enough but it does piss me off hearing how alot of other counties are just so far ahead in numbers of kids playing and thats how you create conveyor belts of talent.

magpie seanie

Sligonian - just on the players receiving treatment in the second half its worth bearing in mind that Curry are quite a young team with several U-16's on it. They had played a tough county U-16 final in Markievicz on the Thursday night where they drew with St. Johns (and one of them ended up in hospital I think). So possibly there was a good bit of tiredness in their legs and maybe not so much faking?

Again - isn't it crazy that a club had to play an U-16 county final on a Thursday and a county minor semi final less than 48 hours later?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 08, 2008, 10:44:41 AM
Sligonian - just on the players receiving treatment in the second half its worth bearing in mind that Curry are quite a young team with several U-16's on it. They had played a tough county U-16 final in Markievicz on the Thursday night where they drew with St. Johns (and one of them ended up in hospital I think). So possibly there was a good bit of tiredness in their legs and maybe not so much faking?

Again - isn't it crazy that a club had to play an U-16 county final on a Thursday and a county minor semi final less than 48 hours later?

Fair point and something i didnt think of. Thanks and i take it back. Our CCC have made some very poor decisions this yr and some very unfair on teams.

magpie seanie

I forgot about it myself and it just occurred to me when I looked at sligogaa.ie's results section this morning.

magpie seanie

So a big weekend coming. Senior semis should both be tight affairs. Harps blowout of Farnans and their imperious progression so far suggest their favouritism is justified for the title. Curry though are a very good side and while they haven't fired fully this season their best performance in the league came against Harps in one of the latter rounds. Marren back is a big addition but I expected them to spark a bit better than they have. Still, they will give Harps a tougher examination than to date as its do or die and if they can disrupt Harps' rhythm they have a chance. They may just do it. I'm not fond of talking too much about my own team so I'll keep it brief. We need to improve considerably from the semi but I'm hopeful we will. Tubber are much improved from even last year when we drew with them. They have great pace all round the field and thats a vital asset in Markievicz. I'm hopeful but keenly aware of the toughness of the task facing us. We can do it but need to really up our game.

Intermediate semis will be equally tight in my eyes. I take Michaels to beat Coolaney/Mullinabreena as they have enough good players to negate the leading lights on their opponents team. As for the other one - well we all know St. Molaise Gaels should win but will they sort themselves out? I haven't seen Harps this year but judging by their results they are pretty good. I'll give a tentative vote to Molaise Gaels.

The senior relegation final is an interesting one. Mary's bill it as the most important game in their history in their notes this week and there's a strong argument for that point of view. Geevagh have been good this year and will relish the chance to send Mary's into intermediate. I think there's not much between the sides in terms of talent but I just think the townies have greater experience and know how and it will probably get them through.

What do the rest of ye think?

SLIGONIAN

Really looking forward to these games. Should all be tight affairs. Harps v Curry for me is the game of the weekend, 2 sligo giants. Harps have been consistent all yr and are a well oiled machine. They have a stronger bench so i give them the nod but i expect a strong curry performance. Marren being back is a huge boost to them.

Coolera v tubber is a tough call. I think cooleras experience of winning a few yrs will carry them through. Are both teams at full strength wil be a deciding factor. The added strength of alan costello is a massive boost with him scoring freely in the qtr for coolera. Tubber have some pace with kelly and mcdonagh up front and will cause coolera plenty of problems. With pat kilcoyne being tubbercurry stalwart it adds a bit of spice to proceedings.

Geevagh v Marys is also another potential cracker with 2 evenly matched teams. To be honest IMO both shouldnt be here but tough group draws has them here in a relegation battle. 2 good sides. Its a tough call i give geevagh the nod just. Winning div2 and they seem to have had a good yr so i think will continue that vein whereas marys have been inconsistent.

The intermediate semis Michaels scraped past enniscrone in a poor game, seem to have gone backwards since beating us with losing to pats aswell. Coolaney were beaten by our juniors in the div4 final. Very physical side but not great footballers. I think Michaels will come through with a few to spare. The bigger pitch will suit them. I remeber last yr too michaels had massive support, the guts of 5 or 600 and if they get that backing again it will help there cause.

I expect our lads St Molaise Gaels to win this sunday. Our team is extremely young with average age 22 but we have serious quality there too. Im expecting big games from Martin feeney, mark quinn, eoin mchugh, peter wilson, darren gilsenan, gavin gilsenan, aaron mchugh all players who have county experience at various levels. On paper counts for nothing though and we have been grossly inconsistent with a run of 5 good performances followed by 1 atrocious one. Lets hope the 1 was marys qtr.

I think harps will tough opposition, they beat us in Grange in the league but we werent at full strength. We are now, and expect us to come through despite being disabled by poor managemnet tactics and team selection.

Lets hope these games are very entertaining and best of luck to all especially St Molaise Gaels. We have to get up this yr with the bunnies farnans and marys or geevagh coming down.

Davitt Man

What happened Ballymote, i was hearing alot about them this year. I heard they could have been dark horse for Owen B but tubber snuffed them out of it. Id say the injury to young clarke had an effect on them.

Teeling Gael

Interesting stuff there Seanie and Sligonian on the minor semis. Is there any truth in the rumour ye are putting your names forward as joint managers of minor team for 2009 ?  :D  On a more serious point , feel that while the adult CCC are improving year on year , the underage CCC seems all over the place with scheduling of competitions that does nothing for development of Sligo football.

Expect Harps to beat Curry. Alot of people are expecting Currry to come good at weekend but their form all summer has just been average and I dont believe you can simply turn it on. Tony Taylors return has greatly improved harps and has made their weakest part of team last year competitive again. This coupled with a much bigger half forward line than in previous years gives them greater ball winning abilities which I felt was their achilles heel in last few years. With a frightenly strong bench also , I am expecting a Harps win by 4 points plus.

Hasnt been much between Tubber and Coolera in last few years and expect likewise at weekend. INteresting clash between Gilmartin and Quinn at midfield but perhaps the battle between Niall Quinn and Brian Murphy will be more important. How tubber deal with Costello will be critical . Just actually fancy Tubber to win simply because of their harder last 2 matches since the season recommenced. Coolera had a nothing match against Harps and a 1/4 against an average Castleconnor whilst Tubber had a must win match over Marys and a titanic battle against Ballymote. In a match where there will be little in it , the sharpness accrued by Tubber is what I expect to be the difference.

Expect Mholaisses to beat Harps. In fairness Sligonian , the harps team that beat ye 3 times last season is a much different team that this year. Think Mholaisses will win comfortably.

Coolaney are greatly inconvenienced by a very easy group , flattering 1/4 final win ( their opposition was deceptively poor) and a year in division 4 against reserve teams and this would be the  crucial difference in a close match against a more battle hardened Michaels. That said if Michaels are missing a few , this disadvantage is negated and Coolaney can win. Expect Michaels though to be near full strength and win.

Geevaghs easy win 4 weeks ago against Drumcliffe vrs Marys harder game and more frequently games against the bunnies tips the balance towards Marys in relegation final. The "most crucial game in their history" tab in my view is ill conceived and heaps pressure on Marys and whilst saying that in dressing room is fine, publicising it could easily backfire in a tight game.

The Stand Side

Looking forward to the weekend matches. Feel Harps will be too strong for an improving Curry.  Other one is a close call, Coolera didn't sparkle against Castleconor (Costelloe apart) and Tubber looked very pacey at times against Ballymote.  Coolera will need a bigger contribution from forwards but feel they can just about squeeze it, maybe even a draw first time out!
On the future of underage, I find that kids and families in general just have so many things happening that the dedication to Gaa alone is just not there any more.  Most kids have the option to participate in anything they wish from ballet to Super Nario Kart.  Kids turn their backs and quit at the drop of a hat now.  I feel Clubs have to work alot harder to keep kids up through the age levels and to a large extent their is the volinteers there to do the work, but the backup and support from the GAA needs to be looked at.