Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on February 02, 2022, 12:26:24 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 02, 2022, 12:03:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 02, 2022, 10:15:00 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/colm-bonnar-if-i-was-worried-about-pressure-i-wouldn-t-have-taken-on-this-role-1.4791336

Did he ever reflect on the pressure of having to rebuild a team while at the same time not falling off the competitive standard demanded by a county with Tipperary's traditions?
"No, I never mentioned pressure. If I was worried about pressure, I wouldn't have taken on this role. This is a challenge. I love being a Tipperary man and putting on that jersey is part of my DNA. Going up to Tipperary [from where he lives in Waterford] just feels so much like home to me. No, I'm not bothered.
"This might look easy to say but pressure doesn't come into my head in terms of what we are doing. I'm just trying to build those connections with the players, trying to develop a team and bring it as far as I can – wherever that is – once I know I'm getting the best from the players and the support we're offering them is the best, and we're getting the reaction.
"If I start focusing on results or start focusing on having to win an All-Ireland, then yeah I'm going to add huge pressure on myself, but also on the team. It's a work in progress and I'm excited to see where this journey is going to end."

I don't think anyone in Tipp questions the need for a rebuild but the amount of grace that Bonnar gets will depend on how far they fall, if at all.

Getting beat by Cork or maybe Waterford by a small margin whilst blooding new players can probably be tolerated, but if the Clares and Wexfords and even the Dubs start beating them in qualifiers then questions may be asked.
They probably won't be expecting to dethrone Limerick for the next 2 seasons. The big prizes are afterwards.

The only team that can beat Limerick are Limerick themselves having a bad day and with the way Kiely is giving some panelists their noses for the big time there'll be fierce pressure for lads to keep a hold of a starting jersey.

Tipp are indeed a 2/3 year project in terms of getting to AI contenders but signs of progress will be needed early on for Bonnar to continue to have the supporters behind him.
They're a demanding bunch but there's realism in there as well.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2022/0201/1277214-bonnar-planning-fresh-foundations-for-tipperary-rebuild/

Sometimes when you win an U21 or U20, you feel next year, I'm gonna be playing senior and it's just an automatic transition," he reflects.

"But even Jake, in terms of the first two or three years, how much he's grown in the strength and conditioning, and athletic development side.

"It nearly does take two or three years to develop into that type of player where they can take the impacts. If they hadn't conditioning done over those two or three years they wouldn't be getting back up or they'd be so winded that the game would be gone for nearly half an hour before they get back into it.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

tippmaninlaois

Bonnar will have this year to rebuild and  making an all ireland semifinal is a realistic target

Next year the expectation is that he will build on a semifinal appearance

Maher at full back will be a loss as  his experience would be vital in bedding in probably Craig Morgan at corner back

Doubts persist over both keepers also

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that for 2023

You could have a back 4

Of Rhys Shelly in goals

Barrett Eoghan Connolly Craig Morgan

It could happen even sooner

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 02, 2022, 02:09:32 PM
https://twitter.com/GAA__JOE/status/1488563389043515393

Paudie Maher. Slightly tougher than the average person lol.

Got it half way up the hurl shaft, not as bad as it looks.

If he'd taken full brunt of the boss then that's a different story.

johnnycool

Quote from: tippmaninlaois on February 02, 2022, 02:34:16 PM
Bonnar will have this year to rebuild and  making an all ireland semifinal is a realistic target

Maher at full back will be a loss as  his experience would be vital in bedding in probably Craig Morgan at corner back

You could have a back 4

Of Rhys Shelly in goals

I think he'll be needing the luck of the draw to achieve that this year and get an easy run in the qualifiers.

Limerick are favourites for a top two finish in Munster IMO, Waterford next, which would leave Cork, Tipp and Clare fighting it out for the third spot with Cork probably most likely but nothing is guaranteed in Munster.
It's doable for Tipp but will depend on how quickly Bonnar can settle on a good spine of the team with more pace in attack and in defence.

Brendan Maher is a huge loss and a hugely underestimated hurler in my book. Loved watching him in full flow.

tippmaninlaois

Quote from: johnnycool on February 02, 2022, 03:02:02 PM

You could have a back 4

Of Rhys Shelly in goals

I think he'll be needing the luck of the draw to achieve that this year and get an easy run in the qualifiers.

Limerick are favourites for a top two finish in Munster IMO, Waterford next, which would leave Cork, Tipp and Clare fighting it out for the third spot with Cork probably most likely but nothing is guaranteed in Munster.
It's doable for Tipp but will depend on how quickly Bonnar can settle on a good spine of the team with more pace in attack and in defence.

Brendan Maher is a huge loss and a hugely underestimated hurler in my book. Loved watching him in full flow.

Your a brave man if you think you can predict the top 3 in a round robin Munster championship,the likes of Cork playing Clare in Thurles on account of Ed Sheerin could tip the balance

Tipp have a good spine the issue is bedding in the lads on either side of them as quickly as possible will be Bonnars test of management

Brendan would have been a fair option at corner back for even 20/25 minutes

johnnycool

Quote from: tippmaninlaois on February 02, 2022, 04:53:51 PM

You could have a back 4

Of Rhys Shelly in goals

Your a brave man if you think you can predict the top 3 in a round robin Munster championship,the likes of Cork playing Clare in Thurles on account of Ed Sheerin could tip the balance

Tipp have a good spine the issue is bedding in the lads on either side of them as quickly as possible will be Bonnars test of management

I know it's a minefield in Munster as you never really know what Clare are going to turn up, the same could be said of Waterford in the past but I think Cahill has got a bit of consistency in them and they'll be hard to work with.

Will Bonnar start Ronan Maher at 3 or 6?

tippmaninlaois

Quote from: johnnycool on February 02, 2022, 04:59:12 PM
Quote from: tippmaninlaois on February 02, 2022, 04:53:51 PM

You could have a back 4

Of Rhys Shelly in goals

I know it's a minefield in Munster as you never really know what Clare are going to turn up, the same could be said of Waterford in the past but I think Cahill has got a bit of consistency in them and they'll be hard to work with.

Will Bonnar start Ronan Maher at 3 or 6?

Clare in Cusack Park are a tough proposition

Them v Limerick at home will be tasty

Ronan wins all star at centre back at 19 years of age

I'd be hoping that he stays at 6,it's his best position

Hoof Hearted

Joe quaid on laochra gael tonight 9.30
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

imtommygunn

His testicle exploded  :o (I saw it on an advert for this show)

seafoid

I.know it's February when anything is possible but Tipp haven't set the world on fire in the last 2 seasons and building a new  team to follow one that went all the way to the top and stayed there takes time. Ask Cody. Or Barcelona.
Plus Limerick have more money.

Cork, Kilkenny and Tipperary probably won't be adding to their collections over the next while.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on February 04, 2022, 07:53:36 AM
I.know it's February when anything is possible but Tipp haven't set the world on fire in the last 2 seasons and building a new  team to follow one that went all the way to the top and stayed there takes time. Ask Cody. Or Barcelona.

Cork, Kilkenny and Tipperary probably won't be adding to their collections over the next while.

Kilkenny would still be favourites for Leinster even with dropping off a bit but Leinster medals fall down the backs of sofa's down there and don't carry much currency.

They'll always fancy themselves to win an AI semifinal all the same.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/p%C3%A1draic-maher-and-the-stark-warning-that-forced-him-to-call-time-on-playing-career-1.4793047
Pádraic Maher and the stark warning that forced him to call time on playing career
Doctor asked him: 'Do you want your girlfriend lifting you off the couch to put you to bed every night?'
about 16 hours ago
Seán Moran

Pádraic Maher has known extraordinary weeks. In the space of six days in 2010 he went from winning Tipperary's first All-Ireland in nearly a decade to captaining the county's under-21s as they stamped their authority on Galway in the All-Ireland final. More than 20,000 were in Semple Stadium to watch.
"We put the champagne on ice; we can take it out of the ice now," he said afterwards.
On Thursday he held a remote media conference to outline a different sort of week: one where he had gone from nursing an ankle problem before the start of a new season, his 14th, to having to explain publicly how a neck injury had ended his career .
Maher thinks he may have picked up a knock during training with his club Thurles Sarsfields last November because the symptoms occurred around the time of that month's county final.
Although the symptoms faded away when the season was over, he decided to make sure before the new season got under way. Dr Paul Ryan, the Tipperary doctor, and his predecessor Brendan Murphy, the former Offaly hurler, mediated the news from various consultants. It was over.
"To be honest with you, they are hurling people so they know the way I am thinking as well and they were very straight up that this was the best choice to make now.
"When the lads were . . . fairly adamant in their decision, it was taken out of my hands because I was not going to go against the medics' advice. There was no point at this stage of my life."
There certainly wasn't. The alternative suite of possibilities made that clear.
"The list was very eye-opening. He only listed off what the damage could be, especially when you are working in the head and neck area. He put it to me, 'do you want your girlfriend lifting you off the couch to put you to bed every night?'
"It was that extreme so when he started talking like that, I said, this is a fairly black and white decision for me."
Pádraic Maher raises the All-Ireland under-21 trophy after Tipperary's win over Galway in the 2010. Photograph: Morgan Treacy/Inpho
Encouragingly he was assured that he it was still possible to get out before anything serious happened.
"That's exactly it. The doctor said to me I was walking in as a fit 32-year-old and everything working relatively all right. I asked what my health was going to be like going forward and he said I'd be fine once I took the risk out of it, and the risk is contact sport. Unfortunately that was not the news I really wanted but when he showed me the scans and what was involved."
He leaves as new manager Colm Bonnar has to come to terms with the departure of arguably the two most influential players of the whole era, as Brendan Maher had already retired after last season, but he remains confident for the future
"You see Brendan gone there now and now myself," he says. "Niall O'Meara has gone travelling for the year and there's a bit of experience gone all right but there's still loads of it there.
"You still have Séamie [Callanan] and Noel [McGrath] there and the likes of Séamus Kennedy and Ronan [his brother], Barry Heffernan, Jason Forde – they've all been there since 2014 and 2015 so they are only coming into the main part of their careers. There's a lot of experience there."

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on February 04, 2022, 09:58:15 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 04, 2022, 07:53:36 AM

Kilkenny would still be favourites for Leinster even with dropping off a bit but Leinster medals fall down the backs of sofa's down there and don't carry much currency.

They'll always fancy themselves to win an AI semifinal all the same.
Leinster would be the weaker province at the moment.
Previously Cody could offer hurlers 5 all Ireland medals if they followed the programme. Now he can't. 
KK used to be able to reel teams in . There was something ominous about it. Now they can't.