Cowardly criticism of players

Started by sligoman2, September 21, 2021, 02:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

GAA President Larry McCarthy has added his voice to the criticism of those who harshly criticize players.  I agree that a lot of the abuse has been over the top and excessive, what's the general feeling out there on this subject?
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0921/1248112-gaa-unhappy-with-cowardly-assessment-of-players/
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sligoman2 on September 21, 2021, 02:28:05 PM
GAA President Larry McCarthy has added his voice to the criticism of those who harshly criticize players.  I agree that a lot of the abuse has been over the top and excessive, what's the general feeling out there on this subject?
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0921/1248112-gaa-unhappy-with-cowardly-assessment-of-players/

These threads are loaded with these comments, so you'll not get too many on here agreeing with the GAA President
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Obviously Aidan O'Shea being the main target and some of it has been totally over the top. Anytime you hear anything from him he comes across as an absolute gentleman and anyone I know that has met him had said the same. He obviously was poor in the semi and final, nobody including himself would deny it.

And that article of him running topless on the beach that came out after the Dublin game, I looked at it and thought is he actually for real, not a chance I would let that come out in the build up to a final. That all being said, the lad gives his all for his county and has done for years, really hope himself and Keegan get the medal they deserve.

When all is said and done, he and all his teammates are amateur athletes that make huge sacrifices each year for their county. 

J70

Hound

While social media can be a cesspit, this is squarely directed at mainstream media's criticism of Aidan O'Shea, in particular the Joe Brolly rant in whatever paper he wrote it.

Players who take advantage of media attention to build their own profile are also building a rod for their own backs when things don't go well on the pitch.

Dublin in the Lyons and Caffrey years embraced the hype, but got pilliored for it every year when Sam wasn't won. Although at least they were all on the hype-train together and the abuse was shared around!

In recent years, you could probably compare AOS to Bernard Brogan in terms of media attention, but Bernard was lucky enough to have success follow him so didnt have much personal abuse to deal with.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hound on September 21, 2021, 03:41:08 PM
While social media can be a cesspit, this is squarely directed at mainstream media's criticism of Aidan O'Shea, in particular the Joe Brolly rant in whatever paper he wrote it.

Players who take advantage of media attention to build their own profile are also building a rod for their own backs when things don't go well on the pitch.

Dublin in the Lyons and Caffrey years embraced the hype, but got pilliored for it every year when Sam wasn't won. Although at least they were all on the hype-train together and the abuse was shared around!

In recent years, you could probably compare AOS to Bernard Brogan in terms of media attention, but Bernard was lucky enough to have success follow him so didnt have much personal abuse to deal with.

He's mentioned supporters in this, and they are your behind the keyboard trolls who are faceless, at least Brolly and co don't hide, and can and are pulled on their comments
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ethan Tremblay

I would agree with that statement there 100%, players who build there own profile within the media will undoubtedly come in for more praise/criticism on their performances, strictly because they are more well known. 

My aging mother in law knows fairly little on football but knows who Aidan O'Shea is, so when is is on the ball she knows if he has been good or not, but she wouldn't know O'Donoghue missed the penalty 10 mins after it happened. 

I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on September 21, 2021, 04:02:37 PM

I would agree with that statement there 100%, players who build there own profile within the media will undoubtedly come in for more praise/criticism on their performances, strictly because they are more well known. 

My aging mother in law knows fairly little on football but knows who Aidan O'Shea is, so when is is on the ball she knows if he has been good or not, but she wouldn't know O'Donoghue missed the penalty 10 mins after it happened.

So probably best not having a media profile....

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2021, 03:54:00 PM

He's mentioned supporters in this, and they are your behind the keyboard trolls who are faceless, at least Brolly and co don't hide, and can and are pulled on their comments

Brolly feeds those keyboard warriors with his attention seeking nonsense. The usual routine from him of picking the hot topic (Mayo losing another AI final) and attacking one of the most high profile players on the team (Aidan O'Shea)

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2021, 04:06:24 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on September 21, 2021, 04:02:37 PM

So probably best not having a media profile....

Not necessarily, I would say you have to prepare to take the rough with the smooth, as most people do within the public eye
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

JoG2

Quote from: J70 on September 21, 2021, 03:24:12 PM
I'd add referees too.

Slightly off topic, but refs and respect, well lack of it... Was at girls game last night , club game. The abuse from adults spectating towards the ref and opposition players (we're taking 12 / 13 / 14 year old girls) was off the charts. Both teams management behaviour towards the ref was almost as bad. It was embarrassing to listen to

Rudi

Quote from: JoG2 on September 21, 2021, 04:37:59 PM
I'd add referees too.

Slightly off topic, but refs and respect, well lack of it... Was at girls game last night , club game. The abuse from adults spectating towards the ref and opposition players (we're taking 12 / 13 / 14 year old girls) was off the charts. Both teams management behaviour towards the ref was almost as bad. It was embarrassing to listen to

Derry wans nearly as bad as Mayo ;D

Milltown Row2

I'd add referees too.

Can't do anything to spectators only report the abuse and the CB needs to challenge the club on their 'supporters' and ban home games. As for players and managers if he doesn't deal with them there and then then he's a fool. Report and send them off, otherwise it's a green light for the next refs

JoG2

Quote from: Rudi on September 21, 2021, 05:51:58 PM
I'd add referees too.

Derry wans nearly as bad as Mayo ;D

If we were nearly as good as Mayo on the field... But in all seriousness, genuinely shocked at what I heard

Gael85

Something should have been done about this years ago. Look at threads here set up about Diarmuid Connolly years ago. Then you had garbage written by that clown in mayo news calling Dublin players thugs. Social media pages and 42 comment sections are worse for abuse. Opposition supporters mingle at games but social media is just poison.