Football All stars 2021

Started by hoynevalley, August 17, 2021, 07:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: sid waddell on September 14, 2021, 12:19:15 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on September 14, 2021, 11:59:57 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 14, 2021, 10:53:51 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on September 14, 2021, 10:23:56 AM
McShane has a strong argument to be in ahead of him.
He has in his hoop. McShane carries threat but touching that ball in (and he should never have been allowed to, it was a terrible goalkeeping mistake) was his only contribution in the final, he was desperate otherwise. I'd have about six or eight forwards at least ahead of him in the queue for an All-Star.
It's moments like that that win all irelands. He scored what, 1-3 off the bench in the semi? He probably won't win one but is in with a shout.
Kevin McManamon made consistently greater contributions off the bench and never got within an arse's roar of an All-Star.
True, but this year there's probably not that many inside forwards who really stood out bar McCurry and Clifford. None of the Dublin lads deserve one, I suppose McCarron and McManus had good performances as did Flynn for Kildare. That last spot is probably between Flynn and Conroy with O'Donoughue and McShane with outside shouts. 

imtommygunn

Way more games in those years though.

sid waddell

The six forward slots seem fairly obvious to me.

Two each from Tyrone, Mayo and Kerry.

Meyler, McCurry, Conroy, O'Donoghue, Clifford, Clifford.

Beyond that you're looking at McManus, McCarron, Flynn, Kilkenny, Sludden, Donnelly, Sean O'Shea, even Conor McKenna on "moments".

rrhf

From a Tyrone perspective: Morgan, Harte, Hampsey, Mc Geary, Meyler and Mc Curry have all legitimate claims to player of the year and are nailed on all stars.  Sludden, Mc Namee, Mc Kernan are nailed on all stars, Donnelly, Burns and Mc Kenna will be very close and possibly Kilpatrick would be in with a  very decent shout.. This year those first 10 or 11 have been consistently excellent in all Tyrone's championship games. 

ONeill

I think you can justify Tyrone getting 1-7 but I don't think they'll do that. Unless they move a couple of them to the HF line.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Armagh18

Quote from: ONeill on September 14, 2021, 10:40:59 PM
I think you can justify Tyrone getting 1-7 but I don't think they'll do that. Unless they move a couple of them to the HF line.
Lee Keegan is nailed on

ardtole

Lee Keegan would be my player of the year. Was mayo's best player v Tyrone, was sky motm v Dublin. Superb all round player.

imtommygunn

Keegan a cert and deservedly so.

Armagh18

Quote from: ardtole on September 15, 2021, 07:56:01 AM
Lee Keegan would be my player of the year. Was mayo's best player v Tyrone, was sky motm v Dublin. Superb all round player.
He's probably mine as well. Could well win it if 2 of Morgan/Hampsey/McCurry/Meyler/McGeary get nominated alongside him.

rodney trotter

Keegan was back to his best this year. He had a few injuries which were affecting his performance for a while.
In line for his 5th All Star.

Cobra

It is hard to overlook McGeary as POTY. However when Tyrone do win an AI they do there best not to select Tyrone players for this award.

TabClear

Quote from: Cobra on September 15, 2021, 09:34:35 AM
It is hard to overlook McGeary as POTY. However when Tyrone do win an AI they do there best not to select Tyrone players for this award.

I would be in the Meyler camp for POTY. I think he has been absolutely outstanding all year on some difficult opponents but he will probably just miss out to McGeary. I think Meyler is Mr Consistent whereas McGeary has more "highlight" moments in matches terms of scores etc and this  will probably see him just edge it

Maroon Manc

Quote from: ardtole on September 15, 2021, 07:56:01 AM

Keegan was poor enough against Galway and didn't play particularly well against Dublin for the first 45 minutes either. He was excellent since though, he doesn't deserve to player of the year. What a player though one of Mayo's best players in the 7 finals including the replay; The best player I've seen for Mayo.

Armagh18

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 15, 2021, 09:33:21 AM
Keegan was back to his best this year. He had a few injuries which were affecting his performance for a while.
In line for his 5th All Star.
Honestly thought when Con O'Callaghan was roasting him a couple of years back Keegan was finished. He has certainly proved me wrong since, one of my favourite players ever.

CK_Redhand

Quote from: Cobra on September 15, 2021, 09:34:35 AM
McDonnell 03. Canavan could have gotten it. Oneill and cavanagh 05 and 08. While the personal accolades are nice, I'm sure the players aren't too worried.