Football All stars 2021

Started by hoynevalley, August 17, 2021, 07:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayop

I dont think McShane will get one but would he be the first man to get one without starting a game all championship???

sid waddell

Quote from: Estimator on September 12, 2021, 09:02:31 AM
Sunday game team of the year:

GOALKEEPER
Niall Morgan - Tyrone

BACKS
Paddy Durcan - Mayo

Lee Keegan - Mayo

Padraig Hampsey - Tyrone

Niall Sludden - Tyrone

Kieran McGeary - Tyrone

Peter Harte - Tyrone

MIDFIELD
Matthew Ruane - Mayo

Conn Kilpatrick - Tyrone

FORWARDS
Conor Meyler - Tyrone

Paudie Clifford - Kerry

Ciaran Kilkenny - Dublin

Darren McCurry - Tyrone

David Clifford - Kerry

Tommy Conroy - Mayo
The certainties there for me would be
Morgan
Keegan
Hampsey
McGeary
Ruane
Meyler
Clifford
Clifford
McCurry
Conroy

Ryan O'Donoghue would be a much more deserving recipient than Ciaran Kilkenny.

Fenton or Moran instead of Kilpatrick. Kilpatrick had a good final but I actually thought Kennedy was better in his time on the pitch.

I think Meyler would be the Tyrone man to move back into the defence rather than Sludden.

Think O'Hora still deserves one. Not sure about Durcan.

Harte probably just about deserves one.

Frank Burns wouldn't be a million miles off, nor McNamee or McKernan.

Mick Fitzsimons won't get one but was Dublin's best back.

Hound

Sky's team:

Niall Morgan (Tyrone)
Pádraig Hampsey (Tyrone), Lee Keegan (Mayo), Ronan McNamee (Tyrone)
Patrick Durcan (Mayo), Kieran McGeary (Tyrone), Peter Harte (Tyrone)
Matthew Ruane (Mayo), Conn Kilpatrick (Tyrone)
Niall Sludden (Tyrone), Paudie Clifford (Kerry), Conor Meyler (Tyrone)
Darren McCurry (Tyrone), David Clifford (Kerry), Daniel Flynn (Kildare)

While Conroy had some great moments, he disappeared plenty too (he'd be better as a sub like Kevin McManamon - if he came on fresh with 20 minutes to go against a tiring defence, he'd run amok, but Mayo probably don't have enough depth in forwards to allow that). But IMO no way was Conroy one of the best 3 full forwards in the country this year. Flynn a better choice, and probably a few contenders up north too.

I was in a pub for the Tyrone-Kerry match, so not sure who the key man for Kerry was in winning the midfield battle, but whoever he was may warrant a place. Although I would have Kilpatrick slightly ahead of Kennedy

thewobbler

Ruane shouldn't be considered.

Fantastic player. But he was blown away in the final.

It's kind of refreshing this year that an absence of marquee forwards might see a half forward picked at full forward, and a half back picked at half forward. I doubt this has ever happened before - it usually works the other way.

yellowcard

Kilpatrick had a good final but All Stars should be handed out on merit for performances over the course of the season and not simply on the basis of one good match. Too much weight is given over to the semi final and final performances when the reality is that by that stage certain top players are targeted by the opposition in order to try to blot them out of the match. How often have we seen some of the perceived lesser lights then benefit from this in an All Ireland final.

On the same basis I would have no problem if Daniel Flynn received an award but I don't think that he will.

Otherwise I think that both the RTE and Sky selections would be not very far off the final team.   

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Hound on September 14, 2021, 09:32:34 AM
Sky's team:

Niall Morgan (Tyrone)

While Conroy had some great moments, he disappeared plenty too (he'd be better as a sub like Kevin McManamon - if he came on fresh with 20 minutes to go against a tiring defence, he'd run amok, but Mayo probably don't have enough depth in forwards to allow that). But IMO no way was Conroy one of the best 3 full forwards in the country this year. Flynn a better choice, and probably a few contenders up north too.

I was in a pub for the Tyrone-Kerry match, so not sure who the key man for Kerry was in winning the midfield battle, but whoever he was may warrant a place. Although I would have Kilpatrick slightly ahead of Kennedy

Thats harsh on Conroy, had great moments in the games against Galway, Dublin & Tyrone. I certainly think he deserves an All Star. I can't make a case for anyone getting one ahead of Conroy, Clifford & McCurry.

Armagh18

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 14, 2021, 10:20:15 AM
Sky's team:

Niall Morgan (Tyrone)

Thats harsh on Conroy, had great moments in the games against Galway, Dublin & Tyrone. I certainly think he deserves an All Star. I can't make a case for anyone getting one ahead of Conroy, Clifford & McCurry.
What did he score against Tyrone and Kerry? 2 points in each game? As much as I rate him and love watching him, that's not a good enough return for an all star standard inside forward. He also messed up the goal chance against Tyrone, McShane has a strong argument to be in ahead of him.

shark

Quote from: yellowcard on September 14, 2021, 10:02:23 AM
Kilpatrick had a good final but All Stars should be handed out on merit for performances over the course of the season and not simply on the basis of one good match. Too much weight is given over to the semi final and final performances when the reality is that by that stage certain top players are targeted by the opposition in order to try to blot them out of the match. How often have we seen some of the perceived lesser lights then benefit from this in an All Ireland final.

On the same basis I would have no problem if Daniel Flynn received an award but I don't think that he will.

Otherwise I think that both the RTE and Sky selections would be not very far off the final team.

It's such a short season though when there is no backdoor. If there are any Kerry players involved in the conversation then surely Kildare and Donegal would have some too, seeing as they also won 2 out of 3 games played, beating 2 mid level teams each - the same as Kerry.
It's a nice enough thing for the players to win an all star I'm sure. But it's an individual award, where the ability to win the award is based on a collective effort enabling the eventual individual winners to play more games than non-winners. If Mayo had played Tyrone in the first round they'd probably get zero.

yellowcard

Quote from: shark on September 14, 2021, 10:25:23 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 14, 2021, 10:02:23 AM

It's such a short season though when there is no backdoor. If there are any Kerry players involved in the conversation then surely Kildare and Donegal would have some too, seeing as they also won 2 out of 3 games played, beating 2 mid level teams each - the same as Kerry.
It's a nice enough thing for the players to win an all star I'm sure. But it's an individual award, where the ability to win the award is based on a collective effort enabling the eventual individual winners to play more games than non-winners. If Mayo had played Tyrone in the first round they'd probably get zero.

I think you have to take League form into account given the nature of the shortened season. For me Kerry played the best football out of any side this season, it was reminiscent of the Dubs in 2014 when they went Harlem Globetrotters style and got caught in a semi final with one below par performance. I don't think either Donegal or Kildare players come close to the level of some of the individual performance that Kerry produced over the course of the season. I know people will say it is only the League but it still remains the best barometer of a teams overall level especially in a season of straight knockout football. Plus it was played in mid spring/early summer just prior to the championship beginning so it was taken seriously by every county. I have no problem with 2 Cliffords being selected, they were both easily among the top 6 forwards over the full course of the season. Same with Daniel Flynn although I don't think he will get selected. It probably will be Conroy.     

sid waddell

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 14, 2021, 10:23:56 AM
McShane has a strong argument to be in ahead of him.
He has in his hoop. McShane carries threat but touching that ball in (and he should never have been allowed to, it was a terrible goalkeeping mistake) was his only contribution in the final, he was desperate otherwise. I'd have about six or eight forwards at least ahead of him in the queue for an All-Star.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on September 14, 2021, 10:53:51 AM
He has in his hoop. McShane carries threat but touching that ball in (and he should never have been allowed to, it was a terrible goalkeeping mistake) was his only contribution in the final, he was desperate otherwise. I'd have about six or eight forwards at least ahead of him in the queue for an All-Star.

Skill wise at the minute he's been limited but his contributions in both games have been massive, do you win an All star based on that?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

As a Tyrone man, I don't think McShane deserves one. McCurry and Meyler are nailed on and prop both in contention for the POTY. Sludden would be my next option and he's a maybe. None of the rest in the reckoning given some of the other displays.
In defence, Morgan, Hampsey, McNamee, Harte and McGeary I think will get ones. This is where our strength lies.
If Conn gets one in midfield he'll be blessed. Good final and solid but unspectacular for the rest of the games. Might say more about a lack of midfield talent this year. Ruane only one stood out for me.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Armagh18

It's moments like that that win all irelands. He scored what, 1-3 off the bench in the semi? He probably won't win one but is in with a shout.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 14, 2021, 10:20:15 AM
Sky's team:

Niall Morgan (Tyrone)

What did he score against Tyrone and Kerry? 2 points in each game? As much as I rate him and love watching him, that's not a good enough return for an all star standard inside forward. He also messed up the goal chance against Tyrone, McShane has a strong argument to be in ahead of him.

Conroy got 0-3 against Galway, 0-3 against Dublin and 0-2 against Tyrone all from play.

McShane certainly has had a huge impact and can see why you'd mention him but apart from him I don't see anyone else in the running. Flynn is top class but he can't get one based on one good game against Dublin, some might say that's all Clifford did but his performance was spectacular against Tyrone and a level above Flynn's.

I don't see anyone else in the running.

sid waddell

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 14, 2021, 11:59:57 AM
It's moments like that that win all irelands. He scored what, 1-3 off the bench in the semi? He probably won't win one but is in with a shout.
Kevin McManamon made consistently greater contributions off the bench and never got within an arse's roar of an All-Star.