Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: dublin7 on September 12, 2021, 04:02:21 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 12, 2021, 12:47:41 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on September 12, 2021, 12:21:48 PM
Quote from: cjx on September 12, 2021, 12:00:40 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 12, 2021, 12:48:51 AM
Tyrone were worthy winners. Shot selection/decision making/skill levels were piss piss poor form Mayo while Tyrone made their chances count.

What did Mayo work on in training all season. The pressure came on today and the Mayo forwards were embarrassingly bad . Didn't want to know and  when pressure came on tonight.

Serious questions need to be asked of Horan and his mangement team. Shambolic is the only way to describe that Mayo performance and once again Aidan O'Shea scores nothing on All Ireland finals day when the pressure osoon
The dynamic between Horan and especially one of his management team younger fella black hair was bad during the match with Horan turning away in near disgust after the other fella had been very strongly putting points (or giving out). They destroy themselves. The thing is curses only work if you believe them and Mayo, in the back of their minds, clearly do believe that 'curse'.

Ridiculous statement about the curse.
I'm of a certain age and for the first forty years of my life the curse didn't exist, it's a modern invention, spurred aging by a headline grabbing media.
The veracity or otherwise of Mayo's "curse" doesn't matter. The truth is everybody in Mayo including the players and management now has a massive mental block from losing all these finals and that is going to be very difficult for them to overcome. The idea of winning an All-Ireland has taken on such an enormity that it sends brains haywire and turns legs to jelly. It weighs like a ton on them. That is a curse.

Dubs got slagged for years for getting caught up in the hype and getting carried away about how good they were. Gilroy and then Gavin got rid of all that. Being the capital city players can get away from the build up that players from counties like Mayo can't. They must get people constant recognizing them, bringing up the game and mentioning the curse. The senior players have lost so many finals now it has to have an impact on their psychology.

Dub hurlers were pushing in Leinster and couldn't make the breakthrough until Anthony Daly was appointed. He was a winner and brought a huge difference to the team's mentality. I wonder would Jim McGuinness get involved with Mayo.

Jim McGuinness as manager would get Mayo over the line I feel. It wouldn't be pretty but I don't think most Mayo fans would care about that.

yellowcard

McGuinness has almost got his soccer A licence I doubt if he'd just ditch the career change at this point without having had a proper go at managing on his own. I'd say he's more likely to pop up in the LOI than return to top end GAA management.

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: clarshack on September 12, 2021, 04:29:08 PM
Jim McGuinness as manager would get Mayo over the line I feel. It wouldn't be pretty but I don't think most Mayo fans would care about that.

Mayo would be hard pressed to play any more of a boring style than they do under Horan. Any sort of fluid and accurate passing is pushed aside in favour of just charging at the opposition and hoping for a soft free.

thewobbler

I'm not diminishing McGuinness's influence. He changed football forever. The belief he instilled in Donegal was exceptional. But after 8-9 years it really should have filtered  through the masses that those tactics he brought to the game only work if you have at least 2 full forwards capable of both winning any/every type of ball presented to them, and taking scores from everywhere.

Mayo don't currently have those players. In fact, apart from Andy Moran, you'd need to dig through the history books to find any of them produced by the county.

They're (largely) a running team for a reason.

seafoid

Quote from: CK_Redhand on September 12, 2021, 03:22:50 PM
Brolly best ignored. It seems like every text he receives is perfectly appropriate for that situation. What about the hundreds of texts and whatnot he gets that are wide of the mark. A great man for hindsight is Joe.

12 13
16 17
20 21

The pattern is brutal.

Donegal and Tyrone won on the first go.
There is something wrong in Mayo.
Brolly says it's the culture
Why can't they execute ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Why would Mayo be looking to get rid of Horan anyway, if anything he has overachieved with a team in transition.

Hound

Quote from: yellowcard on September 12, 2021, 06:26:59 PM
Why would Mayo be looking to get rid of Horan anyway, if anything he has overachieved with a team in transition.
Odd that runners up often get more criticism than the 30 counties they finished ahead of.

Blowitupref

He overachived in his first period also. I do wonder where Mayo would be if he never became Mayo senior manager. I reckon closer to Galway in recent years than the consistently competitive outfit in the business end of the championship we have seen the last decade.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mouview

Quote from: Hound on September 12, 2021, 06:34:16 PM
Odd that runners up often get more criticism than the 30 counties they finished ahead of.

As do Galway hurlers. What's seldom mentioned is the effort it took to get them there in the first place.
There's no secret to it. You'll win AIs if you have enough good players and if you can minimise the damage done on your weak links. Finding that sweet spot is key.

Sportacus

Quote from: mouview on September 12, 2021, 07:10:51 PM

As do Galway hurlers. What's seldom mentioned is the effort it took to get them there in the first place.
There's no secret to it. You'll win AIs if you have enough good players and if you can minimise the damage done on your weak links. Finding that sweet spot is key.
I'd agree about Horan but it seems to be an unpopular opinion.  A lot of people on social media seem more intent in piling on to him and O'Shea as the scapegoats.  A combination of hindsight and anonymous accounts .

seafoid

Tyrone were the last Ulster county to get the Sam account opened in 2003 and in the year of our Lord 2021 they are just 1 off Down and Cavan
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

6th sam

Agree totally. With rare exceptions, AI champions get there because they have better players, every Tyrone player that played yesterday and several others in the squad have an exceptional skill set . Much as I want to see Mayo get over the line, they still lack the depth of quality in the final third required to win AI. O'donoghue and Conroy will get up to the level required, but they will need more than that. Several Tyrone attackers provided creative attacking quality when it counted. Mayo football ethos emphasises athleticism over flair . No county has won AI without exceptional attAcking talent. Athleticism alone can get u over most teams but when u get to AIF where athleticism is a given in both teams, it's going to take something special to win out. If Mayo want to persist with loading their attack with big athletes they'll never get over the line. Mcshane and matty Donnelly have been exceptional footballers in past few years, but ultimately the additional attacking flair of McKenna , Canavan and a revitalised mccurry was required to get them the AI.

sid waddell

Halfquarter

Quote from: 6th sam on September 12, 2021, 08:17:35 PM

Agree totally. With rare exceptions, AI champions get there because they have better players, every Tyrone player that played yesterday and several others in the squad have an exceptional skill set . Much as I want to see Mayo get over the line, they still lack the depth of quality in the final third required to win AI. O'donoghue and Conroy will get up to the level required, but they will need more than that. Several Tyrone attackers provided creative attacking quality when it counted. Mayo football ethos emphasises athleticism over flair . No county has won AI without exceptional attAcking talent. Athleticism alone can get u over most teams but when u get to AIF where athleticism is a given in both teams, it's going to take something special to win out. If Mayo want to persist with loading their attack with big athletes they'll never get over the line. Mcshane and matty Donnelly have been exceptional footballers in past few years, but ultimately the additional attacking flair of McKenna , Canavan and a revitalised mccurry was required to get them the AI.

That's some load of old codswallop !