AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanderson

Will this be the last year of the knockout format?

red hander

Quote from: Nanderson on September 11, 2021, 08:38:10 PM
Quote from: red hander on September 11, 2021, 08:34:55 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on September 11, 2021, 08:26:57 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on September 11, 2021, 08:19:57 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on September 11, 2021, 07:51:55 PM
They never mentioned it in commentary or on rte at all but I thought Morgan was off his goal line before the penalty was taken. Should it not have been retaken?

You watch too much soccer.
They have a point
(b) For the goalkeeper defending a penalty kick to
move nearer than 11m before the kick is taken.
PENALTY -
If a goal is not scored, the referee shall
allow the penalty kick to be retaken.
Although i don't think i've ever seen it enforced in GAA

Look out. The Bottom Inspectors are in the building. Clench those cheeks.
What are you on about? Do you not want to know the rules?

What rules? Sure the refs haven't a clue about the black card, let alone anything else.

red hander

Quote from: tyrone08 on September 11, 2021, 09:14:04 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on September 11, 2021, 07:30:15 PM
Taking off O'Hora instead of O'Shea was criminal. Horan has a lot to answer for yet again after a failed AI final.

Can we finally stop this crap about oshea being a top quality player. Scored 1 poor from play in all the finals prior to this game. Is too slow, takes the ball into the tackle and goes down everytime at any contact.

OShea has been treading water for couple of years. Horan showed balls in semi, but calved the big decision in final. We were delighted to see him in team.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: sid waddell on September 11, 2021, 07:56:12 PM
Worst final defeat ever. Mayo defeated themselves. They played the occasion, not the match.

I can only rationalise it by thinking that Mayo have Stockholm Syndrome and their identity is too attached to losing finals. This is one they should never have lost. They had the winning of that match and then some. They should have been winning it by seven or eight points.

All this has to stop. It's too painful for the rest of the country, never mind Mayo.

Tyrone are the most average team to win an All-Ireland for a loooong time.
Like in last years All-Ireland final with Dublin winning 2-14 to 0-15  Tyrone fully deserved their 5 point win.

In the terms of defeating themselves and one's they should never have lost then look no further than the 2013,2016 drawn and 2017 finals. Today Mayo was simply beaten by the better side on the day individually and collectively.

Sportacus

All the experts who never won a thing on here slagging AOS.  Wise up. He is what he is, has good days and bad days. Twice the player almost every person on this board ever was.

thewobbler

O'Shea wasn't the problem today.

Ruans went missing for maybe the first time in his life. loftus made a mess of everything in the final third. McLaughlin couldn't get into it. Walsh was found wanting. DOC was largely a passenger.

Aidan generally did okay without ever threatening the game. Better than most.

His role / position was beyond confused. But he didn't do much wrong in my book.

shawshank

This is a final where the analysis is simple.  A story of one team taking their goal chances the other didn't. The result would be been reversed if Mayo took their gl chances and Tyrone had not. Congratulations Tyrone on a deserved All Ireland

red hander

Quote from: Sportacus on September 11, 2021, 09:41:06 PM
All the experts who never won a thing on here slagging AOS.  Wise up. He is what he is, has good days and bad days. Twice the player almost every person on this board ever was.

Very true. Measured by his All -Ireland medals.

dublin7

Quote from: red hander on September 11, 2021, 09:45:10 PM

Bullshit. If he was a Dublin player under Jim Gavin he'd have dropped him. He's a great fielder but in all his years he's never worked on the other parts of his game.

He's actually unlucky he never had Jim Gavin as his manager. He wouldn't accept his poor football/shooting skills and he'd have made him work on them or he'd have dropped him from the panel.

How can a lad who's been playing inter county football for so many seasons gave such poor football skills

Nanderson

Quote from: dublin7 on September 11, 2021, 09:50:31 PM

Bullshit. If he was a Dublin player under Jim Gavin he'd have dropped him. He's a great fielder but in all his years he's never worked on the other parts of his game.

He's actually unlucky he never had Jim Gavin as his manager. He wouldn't accept his poor football/shooting skills and he'd have made him work on them or he'd have dropped him from the panel.

How can a lad who's been playing inter county football for so many seasons gave such poor football skills
He sort of reminds me of someone who at underage had a massive physical advantage over everyone else but once they get to senior level the balance swings against them and they can get found out for lack of skill

straightred

And just to emphasise the point. He won the 2nd half throw in and duly kicked it to a Tyrone lad. There wasn't a Mayo player within 10 years of the Tyrone player. That's him all over. No end product.

I'm not going to resort to personal insults or anything like that. I've never met him and probably never will. Off the pitch he's probably sound. However he's not good enough at this level and i can't understand how Mayo continue to try to build their game around him. In the semi final after he went off Mayo unleashed the shackles and played some great football. Why wasn't he taken off at say the 2nd water break when it was patently obvious that we wasn't contributing anything. That's on Horan and not O'Shea. Its not his fault he wasn't taken off.

whitey

Quote from: shawshank on September 11, 2021, 09:42:56 PM
This is a final where the analysis is simple.  A story of one team taking their goal chances the other didn't. The result would be been reversed if Mayo took their gl chances and Tyrone had not. Congratulations Tyrone on a deserved All Ireland

What do you think?

Mayo

A missed penalty (0 goals)

2 clear cut goal chances (0 goals)

2 half chances (0 goals)

Tyrone

2 clear cut goal chances (1 goal)

1 half chance (1 goal)

red hander

Quote from: Nanderson on September 11, 2021, 09:55:51 PM

He sort of reminds me of someone who at underage had a massive physical advantage over everyone else but once they get to senior level the balance swings against them and they can get found out for lack of skill

I'm being honest here. I watched him in 2008 minor final and replay, I've never been impressed. For lad that size he went down far, far too easy. Sorry he'll never win an All Ireland, but.......

RedHand88

That's our Aidan! Scores 5 or 6 against Leitrim or London.

chrissears

Aidan O'Shea is one of ther most overrated GAA players of his generation, watch how many times he drops or juggles a ball in every game, you should not be picked on size, its your ability that counts. That said too many Mayo players mis-placed or dropped simple hand passes. How many chances do we need? This was not a great Tyrone side