AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

I genuinely believe that the 'curse' has actually become a curse. The more it is spoken about, coupled with the more often Mayo lose, the more in the minds of people the curse becomes a reality. There is a real subconscious belief in my opinion that they cannot win and this is a real mental block.

Every player in any sport at the top level has an ego. Some wear pinks boots they're that confident, some express it through bleached hair, some just get on with the business of the game and point to the scoreboard when the verbals start. I believe that this 'ego' within the Mayo set up is a false ego. Mentally they think they have it in the, but when push comes to shove they really don't. I often tell a story of an AI club final I played in which we won but never should have.  With 10 minutes to go a comment was made to a Mayo legend about Mayo teams crumbling in AI final and you could actually see him physically shrinking in front of you. That's deep seated. That was over 20 years ago. No amount of sports psychologists will break that. It's there forever until that man dies and then there honestly will be a flood of media coverage of it and it will be like a weight off peoples shoulders. I know it isn't real, I know it isn't logical but the mind is not fully understood and if you hear something often enough and repeat it often enough it becomes 'real'.

yellowcard

Quote from: Rudi on September 13, 2021, 09:02:08 AM
Some points from the game Saturday

Mullen not Rob Hennelly was at fault for McShanes goal.
Aidan O Se is too big & has zero mobility, S&C a major issue here.
Horans decision making during a game is poor, otherwise he is good, but can't think on his feet.
Mayo players should lose the tabloid craving image, even the daft pink boots.
Some of their supporters now look daft counting their chickens before they hatch, free coffee etc.
Left footed free taker from the right hand side of the pitch.
Need to get someone to work on their heads for an All Ireland final.

Mullen took a gamble in marking McShane from the front and lost but Hennelly got caught in no mans land. Once he made the decision to come off his line he should have took ball man the whole lot.

blanketattack

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 12, 2021, 10:51:49 AM
Quote from: knockitdown on September 12, 2021, 08:24:39 AM

Premium
No more excuses please from football's great time wasters

Joe Brolly
<SNIP>
The game was finally over in the 25th minute. Aidan O'Shea was presented with the easiest goal chance I have seen in a final.

Hyperbole much?
Between those scored and those missed, it wasn't even in the top 3 easiest goal chances on Saturday.

tiempo

Quote from: seafoid on September 13, 2021, 05:52:36 AM
Horan should watch Groundhog day

https://youtu.be/GncQtURdcE4

I would be pissed off to be passed out on the roll of honour.
Tyrone didn't have an arse on their trousers in 1951
Now they are purring.

I wonder how many AI's Kerry and Dublin would have if 50%+ of their population was of an ingrained anti-Irish disposition and therefore not taking part in games, while the GAA fraternity of the day were on the defensive against a brutal regime intent on wiping out any semblance of Irish culture.

In another era Padraig Hampsey and any number of lads could have been caught up in the horrors of conflict and war. It makes the team getting to the 86 final so remarkable, Down's achievements of the 60s were off the scale in this context, and Crossmaglen too in the 90s noughties.

Continued political change in the north and integration of the wider populous in playing the games will only strengthen Tyrone's position going forward; 9/1 with the bookies to retain the title next year suggests they see this title as a flash in the pan, I'd suggest its the emerging of a powerhouse. At the present time Tyrone should be looking at 2-3 AI's per decade. Basically replicate Mayo's frequency of getting to the final but not shit the bed every time.

Nice to be team of the decade 2 out of 3 so far since the turn of the millennium ;)

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: tiempo on September 13, 2021, 10:21:13 AM

Now they are purring.

I wonder how many AI's Kerry and Dublin would have if 50%+ of their population was of an ingrained anti-Irish disposition and therefore not taking part in games, while the GAA fraternity of the day were on the defensive against a brutal regime intent on wiping out any semblance of Irish culture.

In another era Padraig Hampsey and any number of lads could have been caught up in the horrors of conflict and war. It makes the team getting to the 86 final so remarkable, Down's achievements of the 60s were off the scale in this context, and Crossmaglen too in the 90s noughties.

Continued political change in the north and integration of the wider populous in playing the games will only strengthen Tyrone's position going forward; 9/1 with the bookies to retain the title next year suggests they see this title as a flash in the pan, I'd suggest its the emerging of a powerhouse. At the present time Tyrone should be looking at 2-3 AI's per decade. Basically replicate Mayo's frequency of getting to the final but not shit the bed every time.

Nice to be team of the decade 2 out of 3 so far since the turn of the millennium ;)

That's something that cannot be underestimated. The impact of the Troubles on the Ulster counties was immeasurable (I include Monaghan and Donegal in that as they were very directly impacted upon due to proximity and you could throw Louth in also. Cavan less so).  The start of the 90's saw a massive change in mentality. Even though there was still a war going on there was a real self belief building within the northern GAA. No more were we going to be talked down or held back by what was going on on our doorstep. The wins from 91-94 were a platform to build on. Tyrone should have won in 95. Could have won in 96. We weren't far off in 99 but on the other side of it during that time my team was dominating the club scene which was helping to grow the confidence. It's no coincidence that since the turn of the 90's and the ceasefire Ulster teams have pushed on,  10 county AI wins and 9 club wins. Prior to that, 3 county wins and 3 club wins.

This Tyrone team has 2-3 AIs in them. Donegal  if they got their shit together could push hard, Armagh and Monaghan not a million miles off. Now that the Dublin train has been stopped there is a belief in other counties that it can be done. Why not us now people should be asking?

tyrone08

Some thoughts following the game.

Some mayo fans need to dial down the expectation, business doing free coffees as they expected to win, fans saying tyrone are in for a tanking etc.

Never have and never will understand the hype around AOS. Fails to deliver on every big occasion.

Mcquillan again done tyrone no favours. Mayo 1st point should have been a free out, never seen a more obvious example of a player charging, ohora should have been black carded, AOS should have been black carded on 68 min as he took out mckernan who was running past him, Mcquillan was in full view. The penalty should have been a free out for a square ball then for a mayo player pushing a tyrone player in the back.

Those sorts of call could have costed tyrone, thankfully it didn't.

Overall tyrone were more composed and should have scored more.

Mayo need to drop AOS and get new management in.

yellowcard

Now they are purring.

Boylesports odds 2022

Dublin 11/8
Kerry 13/8
Mayo 13/2
Tyrone 10/1

I think the general consensus is that the jury is still out on the merit of this Tyrone team but I didn't think they would be quite that far down the pecking order.

tbrick18

As a begrudging Derry man.....hats off to Tyrone. Absolutely deserved it both on the pitch and on the line.
Midfield is the single biggest improvement in this team since the new management came in. That Kilpatrick lad in particular I though was brilliant.

Defensively mature, potent in attack and an unshakeable belief. You have to give to them, worthy winners.

A special mention to Peter Harte too, I thought over the last couple of years he was finished. But he has really stood out this year and whether it's new management or what ever the reason was, he was a real asset in both the SF an final.

Whilst a feel sorry for Mayo, they really need to get over themselves too. The number of missed chances, too much loyalty to certain players who are quite obviously passed it and a lack of depth on the bench. They can't have any complaints about the result. It feels like they need a fresh management team in to progress, though in saying that it's a relatively young team.

I think with the forward line at their disposal and the emergence of a strong MF, Tyrone are going to be there or thereabouts for a while to come.

We'll probably get drew against them in the first round of Ulster next year!

sid waddell

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 13, 2021, 02:04:13 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on September 12, 2021, 10:53:20 PM
To echo a point made earlier..   its amazing that Tyrone beat  Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan, Kerry and Mayo on the way to wining an AI and all many of the pundits can talk about is how poor Mayo and Kerry were.

I think pundits do this to excuse their pre-match predictions if they were wrong
ie "I said Mayo would win and I would have been correct if x, y, z didn't happen"

Fans of both sides will naturally focus more on their team - what could have been better, while ignoring (or partly glossing over) the same type of what-ifs for the opposition.

Or sometimes teams actually do beat themselves and lose a game they should have won hands down. Off the top of my head I can think of at least two big championship games in recent years where Tyrone beat themselves rather than have the opposition do it for them - 2010 against Dublin and 2016 against Mayo. They should have had both of those in their pockets and conspired to throw them away with ridiculous profligacy. That's what Mayo did on Saturday.

tyrone08

Quote from: yellowcard on September 13, 2021, 10:45:53 AM

Now they are purring.

Boylesports odds 2022

Dublin 11/8
Kerry 13/8
Mayo 13/2
Tyrone 10/1

I think the general consensus is that the jury is still out on the merit of this Tyrone team but I didn't think they would be quite that far down the pecking order.

It's mad to think kerry are far better favourites than tyrone. However I think normal service will resume next year with Dublin back as strong as ever. Nothing much has changed, they still receive majority of the funding, population is still there, talent pool and set up is still there. I expect dublin to win 4-5 of the AIs until to 2030.

omagh_gael

Quote from: tbrick18 on September 13, 2021, 10:48:33 AM

We'll probably get drew against them in the first round of Ulster next year!

Cute Derry hoor, I still have mental scars from 2006 when you came to Healy Park!!

seafoid

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 13, 2021, 09:56:22 AM
I genuinely believe that the 'curse' has actually become a curse. The more it is spoken about, coupled with the more often Mayo lose, the more in the minds of people the curse becomes a reality. There is a real subconscious belief in my opinion that they cannot win and this is a real mental block.

Every player in any sport at the top level has an ego. Some wear pinks boots they're that confident, some express it through bleached hair, some just get on with the business of the game and point to the scoreboard when the verbals start. I believe that this 'ego' within the Mayo set up is a false ego. Mentally they think they have it in the, but when push comes to shove they really don't. I often tell a story of an AI club final I played in which we won but never should have.  With 10 minutes to go a comment was made to a Mayo legend about Mayo teams crumbling in AI final and you could actually see him physically shrinking in front of you. That's deep seated. That was over 20 years ago. No amount of sports psychologists will break that. It's there forever until that man dies and then there honestly will be a flood of media coverage of it and it will be like a weight off peoples shoulders. I know it isn't real, I know it isn't logical but the mind is not fully understood and if you hear something often enough and repeat it often enough it becomes 'real'.

The flip side of the psychology of losing is that there is a way to win. Tyrone's mantra was "no goals"

There is no reason why Mayo couldn't learn it.
There is also the element of luck. Mayo never got to play Kildare during the run of 11 losses since 89

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Now they are purring.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/goalposts-smeared-with-excrement-in-newtownabbey-before-young-gaa-players-due-on-the-pitch-40842959.html
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sid waddell

Quote from: tyrone08 on September 13, 2021, 10:52:41 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on September 13, 2021, 10:45:53 AM

Now they are purring.

Boylesports odds 2022

Dublin 11/8
Kerry 13/8
Mayo 13/2
Tyrone 10/1

It's mad to think kerry are far better favourites than tyrone. However I think normal service will resume next year with Dublin back as strong as ever. Nothing much has changed, they still receive majority of the funding, population is still there, talent pool and set up is still there. I expect dublin to win 4-5 of the AIs until to 2030.
A lot has changed with Dublin.

Cluxton and Gavin are gone. A gifted generation of players has largely moved on and the hangers on from that generation have little time left. The 2011 minor generation who are now or should be the core of the team will all be 29 next year and what's replacing what's leaving is a serious downgrade.

The new manager is not nearly as good.

Dublin are just another contender now and other teams should not fear them.

Taylor

O'Connor was an absolutely huge loss to Mayo - it cannot be under estimated.

Mayo needed a leader up front - someone who could bring the game to us with an element of nastiness as well as guaranteed scores.

I would hazard to say our defenders couldnt believe how toothless the Mayo attack was on Saturday