Poll

Who will win?

Tyrone by 1-3
Tyrone by 4+
Kerry by 1-3
Kerry by 4+

Author Topic: Tyrone v Kerry - All-Ireland SF 2021  (Read 70496 times)

Fear ůn Srath BŠn

• View Profile
    • Cumann Mhic Sioghair CLG, An Srath BŠn
Re: Tyrone v Kerry - All-Ireland SF 2021
« Reply #750 on: August 18, 2021, 03:56:20 PM »
Be interesting to see the intensity these Covid players, that play, bring to the game and how long they can keep it up.

Friend of mine was saying a girl mid thirties she works with, who plays GAA and netball had caught Covid and the only way she can breath is standing up, she says itís like drowning, was anti vaccine.

Hopefully the team doctors/coach  put these lads through a rigorous fitness test to see if they are able to last a game. Player welfare should be top of their agenda
That, I'm afraid, is the problem and I don't think Tyrone have a hope iin hell of winning or even coming close.
Nothing personal here but I did have the virus and I know how much it can take out of anyone unfortunate to be caught by the little bastard.
The actual infection was unpleasant but the recovery period lasted weeks.I spent Easter weekend of last year in hospital. I was there only three days but, even to this day, I wouldnt say I have 100% recovered.
Even if they got a month's postponement I could see a Covid victim being fit enough to play any football never mind an AI semi.

Fair point, however, would be hoping that these younger lads (no offence) will be a little more resilient where this cursed affliction's concerned, and not subject to quite as much of the not inconsiderable after-effects.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

trueblue1234

• View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 18, 2021, 11:30:27 PM »
Havenít been down in Dublin since the start of Covid. Any good options for hotels with a decent bar to save heading out anywhere else after the match. Normally do Skylon but donít mind if itís close to CP or city centre. Advice welcome?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 18, 2021, 11:42:35 PM »
Havenít been down in Dublin since the start of Covid. Any good options for hotels with a decent bar to save heading out anywhere else after the match. Normally do Skylon but donít mind if itís close to CP or city centre. Advice welcome?

Always hit Meaghers Pub, best craic, Iíll be there on Sunday for the hurling
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

trueblue1234

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 18, 2021, 11:49:31 PM »

Yeah used to go there. But Iím kind of thinking how to keep things simple given current circumstances. Donít really want to get into booking tables in pubs or doing the usual pub crawls etc. Be good to just go back to bar in the hotel afterwards.
Do you have to book tables for pubs in Dublin at the minute or whatís current regulations?

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 18, 2021, 11:57:32 PM »

Yeah used to go there. But Iím kind of thinking how to keep things simple given current circumstances. Donít really want to get into booking tables in pubs or doing the usual pub crawls etc. Be good to just go back to bar in the hotel afterwards.
Do you have to book tables for pubs in Dublin at the minute or whatís current regulations?

Was in Carlingford for couple of days, one bar key us in without asking for vaccine card other did, Meaghers Pub has outside part
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

highorlow

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 19, 2021, 12:15:12 AM »

Harcourt Hotel. LUAS then gets you to Connolly station, you know where you are then

StPatsAbu

• View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 19, 2021, 12:46:14 AM »
Cahir O'Kane has suggested that regardless of player welfare concerns Tyrone should have fielded this weekend whether players were suffering from Covid or not. Jesus wept, pray such fcuktards get removed from active society

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 19, 2021, 12:51:56 AM »
Cahir O'Kane has suggested that regardless of player welfare concerns Tyrone should have fielded this weekend whether players were suffering from Covid or not. Jesus wept, pray such fcuktards get removed from active society

As long as the Tyrone medical set up and coaches donít put pressure on sick or unhealthy players to play, the players welfare is paramount

Ball Hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 19, 2021, 06:03:13 AM »
Is there many Kerry posters left on here? Ball Hopper and??? Kerry Mike and Mike Sheehy long gone.

I'd say I'm on my own here, but don't post as often these days.  I have, however, seen nearly all the games this year and am looking forward to a great semi-final.  I'd say Kerry are looking to win in an old-fashioned shoot-out.  It might resemble the 1980 semi-final, 4-15 to 4-10, only 5 points of a win - but there was ever only going to be one winner.

Gavin Whyte and Conor McKenna could battle each other in some serious speed-work up and down one wing.

Cathal McShane, if near full fitness, could take Matt Connor's Offaly role from 1980.

How will Tyrone handle Paudie Clifford?  David Clifford has taken quite the fall from Best on Planet to Second in Your Own House, but will still cause problems.  Sean O'Shea will convert every free plus another few from play...but I think Paul Geaney scoring goals is the key.   Stopping the other three from feeding him is the challenge.  The Kerry forwards are very adept at close passing in very congested quarters before someone finally has room to swing a leg at it and it goes over the bar - Killian Spillane gets his few points this way in each game.

The Kerry corner backs, O'Beaglaoich and Tom O'Sullivan are well able to take scores, so allowing them to wander upfield (even if chasing their man) could prove interesting on the scoreboard.

But the real difference could well be Tommy Walsh and the mark in the final 20 minutes.  He could easily pick up 5 or 6 points without breaking a sweat if the likes of Diarmuid O'Connor and other subs like Adrian Spillane can steer reasonably flighted balls toward Tommy.

Kerry backs won't dominate and will do well if they get a "reasonable" ranking - that should mean enough ball for the Kerry forwards to do their thing.

Could Kerry do the unthinkable...and use a scubadoir, expecting 4 or 5 forwards to score enough at the other end?  Uncle Pat would have some fun talking about that.

The other noticeable thing about the Kerry players is their individual strength this year - rarely is anyone knocked off the ball and all are well able to take and give a shoulder.

Areas of concern - kick out strategy never tested; can David Moran last 50-55 mins; subs in the backs very similar to starters and probably won't improve the overall defending by much - Foley/Morley, O'Beaglaoich/Paul Murphy, Breen/Sherwood are some examples.  Keeper never really tested under high balls.

I'm looking forward to a run and gun trackmeet, where whatever set of backs is less porous than the other will win.

But there will be great scoring and I'm really looking forward to the Whyte/McKenna speed challenges, especially when they get to the fourth and fifth sprint of each half.

I'll stick with the goodguys, 4-15 to 4-10.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 06:05:20 AM by Ball Hopper »

nrico2006

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 19, 2021, 10:15:05 AM »

What a tube - trying to make a name for himself by being controversial.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JoG2

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 19, 2021, 10:57:05 AM »

Better to read the article for yourself and not listen to Fr Jack's drunken ramblings

tiempo

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 19, 2021, 11:13:58 AM »

Better to read the article for yourself and not listen to Fr Jack's drunken ramblings

Can someone post it please. No doubt there is a reasonable debate to be had on that topic. How can 35 grant funded players be justified if you are gonna concede because a few front line men are ill (speculating here as the exact breakdown hasn't been put out). Don't the other 20+ get on with the job at hand and if needed pull a few in from the club scene to top up the bench? So you have a fella in mind for the 2022 season and you pull him in 6 months early, how's that any different to Ruairi Sludden or Colm McCullagh joining the panel mid season previously

trueblue1234

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 19, 2021, 11:22:06 AM »

Can someone post it please. No doubt there is a reasonable debate to be had on that topic. How can 35 grant funded players be justified if you are gonna concede because a few front line men are ill (speculating here as the exact breakdown hasn't been put out). Don't the other 20+ get on with the job at hand and if needed pull a few in from the club scene to top up the bench? So you have a fella in mind for the 2022 season and you pull him in 6 months early, how's that any different to Ruairi Sludden or Colm McCullagh joining the panel mid season previously

I think someone returning to a panel is fair enough, but you would need to be careful with pulling younger ďstarĒ players in. The conditioning at senior level is a big step up. You can imagine the outcry if you pulled up a 20 year old and he got seriously injured.
I think itís a case of which was the easier and more sensible thing to do. Did it cause the GAA that much pain to move it back another week? I think this was the simple, fair and straightforward option.

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 19, 2021, 11:28:47 AM »

That article is from earlier in the week in the Irish News if it is the same one I am thinking of. I'm not sure if you actually read the article or simply seen the headline and just went off on a rant.

He basically said that the player welfare issue was one for Tyrone to deal with after assessing their players and that it wasn't the GAA's issue to solve. And when you stop to think of it logically, if the Tyrone management team relayed their concerns to players about the potential for getting ill for 2 weeks from taking the vaccine (as Fergal Logan appeared to suggest), then they shouldn't be looking to the GAA to assist with issues of player welfare when those unvaccinated players subsequently took ill from Covid.   

tiempo

• View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 19, 2021, 11:28:54 AM »

I think someone returning to a panel is fair enough, but you would need to be careful with pulling younger ďstarĒ players in. The conditioning at senior level is a big step up. You can imagine the outcry if you pulled up a 20 year old and he got seriously injured.
I think itís a case of which was the easier and more sensible thing to do. Did it cause the GAA that much pain to move it back another week? I think this was the simple, fair and straightforward option.

Jes ye wouldn't get out of bed in the morning if ye took that approach to life. So Tyrone pull 3 or 4 star "23yos" and Colm Cav and Padraig McNulty back into the panel. For me that's easier than a fixture reschedule impacting tens of thousands of people.

Sorry I know its easy to be facetious, but just trying to be devils advocate. Anyway my prediction is this plays out again in the Tyrone club champ and the Tyrone CB who would stand by the county not fielding in an AI semi final turn around and tell clubs to get on with it or be put out of the competition... time will tell.