Ros v Galway Connacht Final 2019

Started by Rossfan, May 28, 2019, 09:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Buck's sake, sounds like Mayo were robbed. Again.
Can't catch a break.
At least the lads weren't there to see it!

joemamas

Quote from: seafoid on June 18, 2019, 11:24:57 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/kevin-mcstay-sliding-doors-moment-has-worked-out-very-well-for-roscommon-1.3928559

Kevin McStay: sliding doors moment has worked out very well for Roscommon

Scenes from Salthill on Sunday showed the best side of the provincial championships

Kevin McStay

I left RTÉ after the Sunday Game and made it back to Roscommon town shortly before one in the morning. The doors were open to all houses and the streets were busy and merriment was general.

It's funny. In a year in which many people, including myself, have been advocating for a new order which would probably see the end of the provincial championships, it's as if the old rivalries have been mocking us.

This year's Connacht championship has been one big surprise and Roscommon have been at the heart of it. So they enjoyed Sunday night as much as any Connacht winning year.

The build-up to the game had been odd for me. I met Derek McGrath, the former Waterford hurling manager, a few weeks ago. We agreed that being "the ex-manager" is a surreal existence. Because people see you and automatically still link you with the team and ask you about things as if you are still there: in the dressing room, at training, on the phone to the players. What they don't realise is that that phone is dead: the cord is cut. You don't even have the number. You know a bit more than the guy on the street – but not much more!

So I was driving up to RTÉ on Sunday morning wondering about the Roscommon substitutes – who would they bring in; in what scenario would such and such work? Two years ago, that was my decision. Now, I was just guessing like anyone else. You go from a situation where you know everything about these lads – their exams, their partners, their car problems, their tractor problems, their work aspirations. And then one day it is the sound of silence. It is over.
Roscommon's Cathal Cregg celebrates after beating Galway to win the Connacht senio football championship. Photo: Tommy Dickson/Inpho Roscommon's Cathal Cregg celebrates after beating Galway to win the Connacht senio football championship. Photo: Tommy Dickson/Inpho 
The point is: the week reminded me that I am outside of that bubble. And we do not know what is going on inside that group. There's a (bleak) saying: the train you don't see coming is the train that's going to kill you. And what we don't know is how hungry and hurt and desperate Roscommon were for this victory. We can only guess at their internal motivations and belief.

So on Sunday, I was headed east and all the cars with flags were setting out – early – for Galway. There was great excitement around the county. It felt different to 2017, which was a win that came as a massive surprise. That final was supposed to be the implosion of us as a group. On Sunday, Roscommon people felt that if a few things worked out, then a good result was a strong possibility.

And part of me would have loved to have been on the bus as the man leading that charge. But then you remember the eight months of unglamorous slog on the field, the constant stress of thinking and thinking about the team – I would fall asleep convinced I had to drop X and then wake up absolutely certain that X was the man to drive midfield.

It is always, always on your mind. It runs your life. And it is worth it: if you win. That is the killer bit about a final. For Anthony Cunningham, all of the mental and physical hours he has put in are worth it this week. And for Kevin Walsh, the question is: what now?

"The expectation to win is ingrained in Galway and Mayo minds. It just is

How good are Roscommon? They were decent in the opening quarter and then lost their energy and enthusiasm in that second period. They had a brilliant third quarter and maybe just hung on to see the game out. So it was a good performance but also one on which they need to build. I thought Hubert Darcy and Colin Compton did extremely well when introduced: they were significant substitutions.

It was a puzzling day from a Galway perspective. I felt that as a management, they needed to figure out the Roscommon full-forward line. And they didn't. They didn't contain Diarmuid Murtagh (1-3), Conor Cox (0-4) or the general influence of Enda Smith.

Related Kevin McStay: Mayo's progress to Super 8s far from guaranteed 
Kevin McStay: Cavan's win shows the value of focused planning 
Kevin McStay: Provincial championships losing their lustre 

I think what is lost sometimes is this: there is a hierarchy in Connacht. Roscommon are the pesky neighbours to Galway and Mayo. What that means is that the expectation to win is ingrained in Galway and Mayo minds. It just is.

I had Galway up there in my list as contenders prior to this year's championship. And I know how the squad must have felt on Monday morning. I would have a lot of empathy for them – my people are from Galway.
Cathal Cregg celebrates a late point. Photo: Tommy Dickson/Inpho Cathal Cregg celebrates a late point. Photo: Tommy Dickson/Inpho 
I think it's clear that the Galway public has never loved this set up and that media people have gone after Kevin for the way they play. And I'll say this: Kevin is a very decent human being. He was a marvellous footballer. And stand back at look at his record. Galway had no Connacht titles since 2008 when Kevin took over in 2015. That is a massive gap for the brand leader in the province. Kevin came in and he broke the Mayo monopoly. He has won two Connacht titles, reached All-Ireland quarter-finals; an All-Ireland semi-final; a national league final.

But the general negativity goes back to this defensive formation that Galway have favoured. Why do you suppose he does that? Well, he knows that in order to thrive, a team must have defensive solidity and organisation. That became their calling card.

The criticism directed at Kevin and Galway is predicated on the belief that this system is stifling Galway's creativity and attack and that any team that wants to win an All-Ireland has to show more ambition and thrust and get more players further up the field. Does nobody ever stop to think that Kevin Walsh knows this better than anyone? We don't see what he sees at training. We don't know what happens if Galway defenders are left exposed in one-on-one situations, isolated against their direct opponent.

Advertisement

We don't know this because Kevin hasn't allowed it to happen in competitive games. There may be a good reason for that. He can't ever come out and say it. He can't say: hey, I can't leave these guys on their own or we'll get cleaned out. But maybe that is the reality.

Within the context of this final, the answer as to why Galway collapsed in the second half is not immediately obvious. Leadership and intensity is too simplistic. But Damien Comer, Paul Conroy and Ciaran Duggan are big physical presences and they were missing through injury. Fintan Ó Curraoin had to leave the field with an injury. It can be hard to win big games when significant players are out. But the nature of the collapse has to be worrying for the management group.

"You have to give massive kudos to Roscommon. They blew the game open in six minutes after half time

There wasn't a man in Roscommon who felt confident of victory at half-time. But, astutely, Colm Cooper noted on the Sunday Game, you just can't back Galway to tidy a game like that up: to finish it off. The easiest answer, of course, is that Galway are just not quite good enough.

It is going to be a tough week in Galway football land. The group needs to stick tight this week and next. Because they can win a round four qualifier and get back on the horse. But I believe yesterday ended their chances of a long summer. The confidence is being drained from the group and what little support there is among the public will likely evaporate.
Conor Cox and Tadgh O'Rourke goe past Thomas Flynn. Photo: Tommy Grealy/Inpho Conor Cox and Tadgh O'Rourke goe past Thomas Flynn. Photo: Tommy Grealy/Inpho 
I thought Kevin looked tired and a bit haunted. And I recognised that look. You can see Brian Silke's frustration and this recognition of: "God, this is gone from us again".

The cold stats are alarming. Four of the Galway forward line taken off. Two points in 44 minutes; outscored 1-8 to 0-2 in the second half. The first point of the second half only arriving 21 minutes into that half. The second, a 45, when the game was into injury-time. Kevin will be disappointed, frustrated and livid.

Against that, you have to give massive kudos to Roscommon. They blew the game open in six minutes after half-time. Galway were 10 for 11 from shots taken in the first half. In the second, they had nine shots and scored two. Roscommon were 50 per cent in the first half. But in the second half, they were nine scores for 11 shots. The halves were mirror images statistically.

In slightly different circumstances, Roscommon could now be a three-in-a-row team this week. The confidence this win brings – a three-week rest and a first Super Eights game at home against a round four qualifier – is inestimable.

What was lost in the commentary is that Roscommon had nine new starters from last year's final. Niall McInerney, Cathal Compton and Ciaran Murtagh were not available to Anthony and they would be automatic picks if playing to full potential. Roscommon now have a defensive mindset and a desire and a feeling, surely, that they must belong in elite company.

"The two teams I would hate Roscommon to meet between now and the end of the year are Mayo and Galway

The challenge now is to perform and compete at that highest level. People forget that Roscommon had agreed on a new manager prior to this season. Then he withdrew his name. And then Dublin hurling went in a different direction and Anthony became available. It was a sliding doors moment and it has worked out very well for Roscommon. Sport can be funny.

Advertisement

So where can Roscommon go with this? Five Connacht finals in four years mean they are not newbies. They have two titles out of four attempts, which is above the Rossies' mean average. The challenge now is to perform but it may not be this year that we see the best of this group.

The two teams I would hate Roscommon to meet between now and the end of the year are Mayo and Galway. Mayo, in particular, are just more grizzled and experienced.

Roscommon's massive ambition for 2019 would be an All-Ireland semi-final. So when can they burst through this glass ceiling and dream the impossible with conviction? Well, when they perform and compete seriously at the Super Eights level.

They are in a different space now and the championship is opening up for them.

Excellent article, it gives a great insight into what goes through a managers head.
I have always respected him for leaving his cozy seat in the studio and getting back into the heat of the battle.
Would still love to see him back with mayo, but that may be wishful thinking.

Tubberman

Wishful thinking on your part - he's a likeable fella, but he hasn't shown to be a top level manager. His attention to S&C in particular is way off what's needed.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Tubberman on June 18, 2019, 02:11:35 PM
Wishful thinking on your part - he's a likeable fella, but he hasn't shown to be a top level manager. His attention to S&C in particular is way off what's needed.
And picking forwards in defence and thinking attack was the best form of defence was a major flaw in his management.

joemamas

TBH, He is not without flaws, but he did win a connaught final with what you could argue was a lesser quality team on paper. Also an all-Ireland club, admittedly with a team that were knocking on the door. As for S&C not a valid enough reason to shoot someone down, hopefully a good coach would tick that box.

At least by all accounts he did accept input into selection and game management, something I feel we are not currently experiencing in Mayo at the moment. Hope i am wrong on the latter.

weareros

Quote from: joemamas on June 18, 2019, 08:36:17 PM

TBH, He is not without flaws, but he did win a connaught final with what you could argue was a lesser quality team on paper. Also an all-Ireland club, admittedly with a team that were knocking on the door. As for S&C not a valid enough reason to shoot someone down, hopefully a good coach would tick that box.

You wouldn't be just getting a good coach, but the "best coach in Ireland."

Maroon Manc

Watched the game again, I'm hoping the rumours about Tom Flynn carrying an injury are true because his performance was pathetic. Over the last 12 months he's been one of Galways most consistent performers but he'll be very embarrassed when they do the video analysis session. He was directly responsible for 3 points when his man took him on and then on two other occassions he made poor attempts at stopping Smith & Killoran as they entered the D; His attempt at tracking back for their goal wasn't great either and then he barely got to a kickout all game, you'd have to assume he was injured. Roscommon hit 1-9 from play, from a Galway point of view 1-6 of that were appalling scores to give away, Roscommon didn't have to do anything special to score them. As for Sean Andy its all been stated on here, he was probably unlucky with 2 of the frees he gave away, they were very harsh and in fairness Cox hit 2 brilliant scores with his left foot for 2 other scores but his defending for the goal was a joke, simply not good enough. There was no goal on unless Roscommon produced something special but luckily they could rely on Sean Andy's day dreaming.

Kerin has took a lot of stick this year and a lot of that has been warranted but he had a great game on Sunday, one of Roscommons scores was a result of him and that was only because he had to bring Kilroy down as O'Donnell had completely fallen asleep as Kilroy had run of him, a simple case of wanting it more which was a familar scene during the 2nd half.

Cooke was crap but another one who didn't look fit, gives the ball away needlessly all too often with daft balls. Heaney & O'Donnell barely got on the ball during the game, both should have been hooked after 45 minutes. The lack of cohesion and intensity during that second half was all too obvious, so many times players were isolated as they crossed the Roscommon 45 and all too often Roscommon entered the Galway 45 without a glove been put on them. I've defended Lavelle but he was very poor. John Daly continues to improve played well, would say he won more breaks than anyone else and actually knows how to dispossess an opponent.

No need to go into Kevin Walsh's mistakes on the day, their very obvious. This collapse a bit different to some of the others given Galway had a 5 point lead, either way its been a familiar pattern under his reign.

magpie seanie

Interesting analysis. KW obviously hasn't learned the lesson about picking injured players against Roscommon in Connacht Finals.

mouview

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 18, 2019, 11:42:21 PM
Watched the game again, I'm hoping the rumours about Tom Flynn carrying an injury are true because his performance was pathetic. Over the last 12 months he's been one of Galways most consistent performers but he'll be very embarrassed when they do the video analysis session. He was directly responsible for 3 points when his man took him on and then on two other occassions he made poor attempts at stopping Smith & Killoran as they entered the D; His attempt at tracking back for their goal wasn't great either and then he barely got to a kickout all game, you'd have to assume he was injured. Roscommon hit 1-9 from play, from a Galway point of view 1-6 of that were appalling scores to give away, Roscommon didn't have to do anything special to score them. As for Sean Andy its all been stated on here, he was probably unlucky with 2 of the frees he gave away, they were very harsh and in fairness Cox hit 2 brilliant scores with his left foot for 2 other scores but his defending for the goal was a joke, simply not good enough. There was no goal on unless Roscommon produced something special but luckily they could rely on Sean Andy's day dreaming.

Kerin has took a lot of stick this year and a lot of that has been warranted but he had a great game on Sunday, one of Roscommons scores was a result of him and that was only because he had to bring Kilroy down as O'Donnell had completely fallen asleep as Kilroy had run of him, a simple case of wanting it more which was a familar scene during the 2nd half.

Cooke was crap but another one who didn't look fit, gives the ball away needlessly all too often with daft balls. Heaney & O'Donnell barely got on the ball during the game, both should have been hooked after 45 minutes. The lack of cohesion and intensity during that second half was all too obvious, so many times players were isolated as they crossed the Roscommon 45 and all too often Roscommon entered the Galway 45 without a glove been put on them. I've defended Lavelle but he was very poor. John Daly continues to improve played well, would say he won more breaks than anyone else and actually knows how to dispossess an opponent.

The trouble with Galway is that many of players are a bit of a job lot; good one week, bad the next. Hurlers were like that going back 10 years or more. One of the reasons a player earns the definition 'good' is because he does his stuff consistently, even when playing not at the top of his form, he can do something worthwhile or relevant. Galway just don't have many 'good' players at present.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: mouview on June 19, 2019, 03:37:42 PM

The trouble with Galway is that many of players are a bit of a job lot; good one week, bad the next. Hurlers were like that going back 10 years or more. One of the reasons a player earns the definition 'good' is because he does his stuff consistently, even when playing not at the top of his form, he can do something worthwhile or relevant. Galway just don't have many 'good' players at present.

Results show Galway are too inconsistent but not sure I'd put that down to the players not been good enough. Players have to take plenty of responsibility but ultimately the blame lies with the manager, Galway always struggle when they go 3 or 4 points behind. Whether it be Tipp in 16, Kerry in 17, Monaghan & Dublin last year they just don't have the answers or mindest to get back in the game. We've not seen any improvement in this department in since the Tipp game so that has to be put down to Kevin Walsh. There's also the case when we're in total control of the game like we were against Kerry & Kildare midway through the 2nd half last year that we don't kick on and put the game to bed during that period. There's a lack of killer instinct about this team just yet. Look at the first half with Galway kicking 10 points from 11 attempts, there were some really great scores in there from Walsh, O'Laoi, Bradshaw & FOC. Thats a brilliant return that you very rarely see matches. Then you get the shitshow in the second half were Galway looked devoid of any ideas, Roscommon certainly upped their intensity levels when they got the goal but Galway went in the opposite direction and lacked any sort of idea to break Roscommon down. In the first half the players always a support runner but that stopped in the 2nd half and players became isolated when they got into their 45. The players look afraid to take responsbility when in possession, how many times did we see one of the Galway players try and take on an opponent which would then create some space, I can barely remember that in the 2nd half apart from Walsh, Brannigan & Sean Kelly, Kevin Walsh claimed a lack of possession was their biggest problem which was true but you've got to factor in the lack of effort in which Galway attempted to press Roscommon in that 2nd half, that  was the biggest noticeable different between the sides. As soon as Galway went into the Roscommon half they were ravenous and all over Galway like a rash whilst Galway let Roscommon waltz all the way into the Galway 45 and even then made no attempt to win the ball back, just happy to keep shadowing the Rossies. Surely after 45 minutes the instructions should have come in to press them higher up the pitch to try and change the direction of the game. This is how Galway got plenty of joy in that last 10 minutes of the 1st half.

I've probably over analysed the game to death here but ultimately there was a total systems in that 2nd half in every aspect of play and the manager has too take most of the blame.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 20, 2019, 10:08:49 AM

Results show Galway are too inconsistent but not sure I'd put that down to the players not been good enough. Players have to take plenty of responsibility but ultimately the blame lies with the manager, Galway always struggle when they go 3 or 4 points behind. Whether it be Tipp in 16, Kerry in 17, Monaghan & Dublin last year they just don't have the answers or mindest to get back in the game. We've not seen any improvement in this department in since the Tipp game so that has to be put down to Kevin Walsh. There's also the case when we're in total control of the game like we were against Kerry & Kildare midway through the 2nd half last year that we don't kick on and put the game to bed during that period. There's a lack of killer instinct about this team just yet. Look at the first half with Galway kicking 10 points from 11 attempts, there were some really great scores in there from Walsh, O'Laoi, Bradshaw & FOC. Thats a brilliant return that you very rarely see matches. Then you get the shitshow in the second half were Galway looked devoid of any ideas, Roscommon certainly upped their intensity levels when they got the goal but Galway went in the opposite direction and lacked any sort of idea to break Roscommon down. In the first half the players always a support runner but that stopped in the 2nd half and players became isolated when they got into their 45. The players look afraid to take responsbility when in possession, how many times did we see one of the Galway players try and take on an opponent which would then create some space, I can barely remember that in the 2nd half apart from Walsh, Brannigan & Sean Kelly, Kevin Walsh claimed a lack of possession was their biggest problem which was true but you've got to factor in the lack of effort in which Galway attempted to press Roscommon in that 2nd half, that  was the biggest noticeable different between the sides. As soon as Galway went into the Roscommon half they were ravenous and all over Galway like a rash whilst Galway let Roscommon waltz all the way into the Galway 45 and even then made no attempt to win the ball back, just happy to keep shadowing the Rossies. Surely after 45 minutes the instructions should have come in to press them higher up the pitch to try and change the direction of the game. This is how Galway got plenty of joy in that last 10 minutes of the 1st half.

I've probably over analysed the game to death here but ultimately there was a total systems in that 2nd half in every aspect of play and the manager has too take most of the blame.

Not always, last years Connacht final Roscommon led by 4 points after 40 minutes and Galway ended up winning by 4. Roscommon seemed to learn more from that defeat than Galway did in victory and when Roscommon took the lead 2nd half last Sunday there was only going to be one winner.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 20, 2019, 12:26:31 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 20, 2019, 10:08:49 AM

Not always, last years Connacht final Roscommon led by 4 points after 40 minutes and Galway ended up winning by 4. Roscommon seemed to learn more from that defeat than Galway did in victory and when Roscommon took the lead 2nd half last Sunday there was only going to be one winner.

Fair point, forgot about that. There was certainly going to be only one winner with Kevin Walsh's tactics; All very disappointing.

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

Quote from: Rossfan on June 17, 2019, 06:14:47 PM
Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on June 17, 2019, 02:56:29 PM
Roscommon won because they were the hungrier outfit and when the game was in the melting pot, their appetite was in stark contrast to the galway one.

Alas, I fear hunger and honest application may only get you so far, and there is a strong possibility that the Rossie will not win another game, in fact, I dare say, many will view them as a weak link in the Super 8s and those coming through the qualifier route will be hoping they are in the Rossie group.
I'd say the GAA will ban us from the so called Super8s due to not being good enough. ::)
-
The solution will be to drop Roscommon into Tier 2 when the upstairs/downstairs policy of the GAA's polit-bureau is implemented.