Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 24, 2023, 12:04:42 AM
Yeah trying to get off Loyalist drug dealers involved in dodgy activity would give a step to you day alright.

Even they are entitled to a fair trial.

Wildweasel74

Maybe so, but don't triumph a republican background then bend over for the pound to get off a person involved in a organisation who carried out attacks on the GAA.

RedHand88

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 24, 2023, 10:15:37 AM
Maybe so, but don't triumph a republican background then bend over for the pound to get off a person involved in a organisation who carried out attacks on the GAA.

Lucy Letby killed God knows how many babies. She still got legal representation and nobody here took issue.

Is Irvine worse than her??

Rossfan

Do barristers have a choice or are they simply allocated cases by the Court?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tbrick18

Perhaps its the mark of a professional who doesn't allow the personal prejudices or opinions to get in the way of doing a professional job.
I don't know, but I wouldn't hold it against a solicitor/barrister when they do their job.
For too long in this country have we been dictated to by politicians and authorities who's decisions have been driven by personal beliefs, be that religion or race, rather than a remit to serve us all.

Aristo 60

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 24, 2023, 10:30:26 AM

Lucy Letby killed God knows how many babies. She still got legal representation and nobody here took issue.

Everyone would have taken issue if the defending senior barrister was also a public face of Barnados or some other similar vunerable children charity. That would have been a f6cked up scenario and media and maybe gaaboard (WTF thread) would have and should have called it out.

I was a small part of a serial child killer defence team several years ago so I understand the 'everyone needs a defence' angle.

Wildweasel74

Even if u fairly sure they guilty, but u job as the defence is to get them off or as liitle sentence as possible. So where in turn would the justice be there. I just couldn't do it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 24, 2023, 10:11:54 PM
Even if u fairly sure they guilty, but u job as the defence is to get them off or as liitle sentence as possible. So where in turn would the justice be there. I just couldn't do it.

As I understand it, legal counsel never personally make that judgement, or at least never allow themselves to make that judgement -- they'll deal with the evidence as they can determine it, in relation to the individual that they are defending, or prosecuting.

It's a job, and your job as counsel is to argue the case on behalf on the individual you are representing, nothing more, nothing less.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rossfan

You are in effect the defendant  with knowledge of the law etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Are there QCs in the North ? How many ? Would they be very busy ? Is JB a QC or something else ? Once he knows case law he probably has space for other stuff.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dec

Quote from: seafoid on August 25, 2023, 04:17:29 PM
Are there QCs in the North ? How many ? Would they be very busy ? Is JB a QC or something else ? Once he knows case law he probably has space for other stuff.

Not any more, they are all KCs now.

delgany

Quote from: seafoid on August 25, 2023, 04:17:29 PM

There are  38 KC'S- Jim Allister being one and approx 600 barristers - Joe being one !

trailer

Quote from: Aristo 60 on August 24, 2023, 12:54:04 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 24, 2023, 10:30:26 AM

Everyone would have taken issue if the defending senior barrister was also a public face of Barnados or some other similar vunerable children charity. That would have been a f6cked up scenario and media and maybe gaaboard (WTF thread) would have and should have called it out.

I was a small part of a serial child killer defence team several years ago so I understand the 'everyone needs a defence' angle.

The pound rules Joe. I think everything he does and says is about enriching himself. Podcasts are entertainment. Let's not lose sight of that.

bannside

Disagree. Joe could make x5 times his salary by ignoring Gaa and political ongoings, just put head down, make QC and even more dollars. You're wide off the mark there Trailer.

He has a completely different motivation but it's not dollars.

blasmere

You're right Bannside, he isn't driven by money one jot.

He does like the sound of his own voice though.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree