10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

clubman21

Quote from: Rawhide on February 02, 2022, 12:31:40 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on February 01, 2022, 09:52:02 AM
Quote from: toby47 on January 31, 2022, 10:55:49 PM
Gallagher is exactly what Derry needed when he came in & over the next year or 2. He will sort the culture, sort the crap, get a consistent panel, give game time to players who will play 10+ years of county football (Murray & Downey) & stop the revolving door.

The football he plays will always limit Derry, however people need to be realistic about Derry over the next couple of years. They shouldn't be winning Ulster titles & are probably a Divison 2 team at present, if Gallagher gets them to Division 1 in the next couple of years he's done some job. I think it'll be the next Derry manager who realistically should be looking at Ulsters etc.

Derry still lacking the forwards for me. McGuigan is the talisman but IMO he still gets kept fairly quiet a lot in county football (maybe because teams can double up on him because of the lack of threat elsewhere) Also physically small up front. Laughlin looks like a great talent & is motoring well however will take a couple of years to really get into his stride. Benny is a work horse but not a big scoring threat at county level, more of an industrious footballer for Derry. Niall Toner is a whippet but quite small, Paul Cassidy looks to have gone up a level but is also very slight. Niall Loughlin was quiet on Saturday, finished off a good team move and is a great option for frees. Derry are going to need to get at least 3 scoring forwards on to the pitch to start challenging bigger teams.  Lachlan could get there in a couple of years, as could Paul Cassidy potentially. Niall Loughlin also has the ability to step up and add more scores to his game.

Glass could do with a natural midfield partner aswell, and possibly a back up aswell if Glass gets injured. McFaul is brilliant, but not a natural midfielder at county level. Would be great to be able to utilise McFaul in the half forward line & the likes of McKinless, Tad, CD & other chipping in with the odd point from defence.
What are your options here though? If pushing McFaul to Half Forward it's probably Tad or E Bradley? Maybe Oisin McWilliams? No real obvious answer for me. I'd like to see McKinless kept at 6.
I'd be content with the named starting defense against Down come championship to be honest. Might get slated for this and i'm actually a fan of how they play but one thing I wasn't sure of with Tad at half back was the tackling against a good opposition forward (same applied to Ethan D too). Whilst appreciating what they offer from there on the ball i'd rather see them at Half Forward.

Glass mf isn't big enough for the top end of football. None of the options are. l was really surprised he didn't take a look at Tohil at mf in the Mc kenna cup. If I know how Mc Faul can function at mf you can bet Gallagher does to, so what did he/we gain. 6:5 and mobile, he had nothing to loose by checking it out. Opportunity lost
To question Glass' ability to play midfield at the top level is laughable, as for Tohill glad he hasnt been deemed to get a league place as it's not warranted. If he impresses at club consistently so be it but not near the level.

Wildweasel74

Glass 6ft 2inch, ?Not big enough for top tier midfielders? I take him over all but Fenton at the minute.

Wildweasel74

There may he potential with Tohill but haven't been away from the game a right while, I thought a season with swatragh would be a better assessment if he's up for it, instead of throwing him in at the top level from the go.

Derry Optimist

Does anyone have an update on our injured County players, especially Gareth McKinless,Padraig Cassidy, Emmett Bradley and Enda Downey?

restorepride

Tohill has to prove himself both in training and in game time. Having only seen the latter, safe to say that he has not made an impression - as yet!  Wish he would and I am sure Gallagher wishes the same!  Main thing is picking up 2 more league points v Uíbh Fhailí.

OakLeaf

Some performance from Steelstown today. Despite a harsh sending off they totally dominated. Congratulations.

screenexile

Brilliant from Steelstown fair play!!!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

JoG2

Good comprehensive win in Tullamore. Rogers and McGrogan the standouts. Mcguigan was excellent in the 2nd half against a fierce strong win. Scored a well taken goal from about 45 M out when the keeper went a wandering out the field.

Some win for Steelstown by the looks of it. The stuff of dreams!

tbrick18

Absolutely delighted for Steelstown.
Some result and totally deserved

Newbridge Exile

Yep congratulations to Steelstown , a magnificent  achievement.

oakleaflad

Congratulations to Steelstown. Massive achievement for the club.

lenny

Quote from: oakleaflad on February 07, 2022, 10:58:19 AM

Well done to Steelstown. Great for GAA in the city. Wonder if many will be on the Derry panel after that. I'd say they should do well at senior football and at the least be able to hold their own.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: lenny on February 07, 2022, 11:20:16 AM

Well done to Steelstown. Great for GAA in the city. Wonder if many will be on the Derry panel after that. I'd say they should do well at senior football and at the least be able to hold their own.

Probably Ben and Donncha. Cant see anyone else at the minute. Cahir has everything except height but hasn't deterred him yet and his vision and skill gets him through a lot, not sure he would be interested in county

clubman21

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 07, 2022, 11:50:35 AM
Quote from: lenny on February 07, 2022, 11:20:16 AM

Probably Ben and Donncha. Cant see anyone else at the minute
Mcmonagle seems a hell of a talent