?

?
9 (47.4%)
?
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

toby47

Brilliant work Estimator.

I remember 10 years ago people used to ask 'who do you think will win a championship first Glen or Magherfaelt?' Magherafelt have won theirs and been in a final since and Glen have probably been in the semi-final the past 4/5 seasons and got to a final.

Lavey/Bellaghy probably a similar argument at the minute. Who do you think will win one first?

Franko

Quote from: Estimator on March 12, 2021, 11:10:30 AM
Bored again, and there hasn't been much action on this board for a while...
Quick look at the last 30years of the Derry SFC with a small bit of analysis..

SFC 2010 - 2020 (Inc)
ClubPlayedWonLost
Slaughtneil651
Ballinderry532
Coleraine321
Magherafelt211
Ballinascreen202
Loup101
Lavey101
Glen101
Kilrea101

9 Teams making final appearances, 5 non-winners, 4 have won and lost finals. Slaughtneil top of the pile in the last decade, with Ballinderry in second spot. Which was pretty much the split half way through the decade. No sign of Bellaghy the record title holders with 21.

SFC 2000 - 2020 (Inc)
ClubPlayedWonLost
Ballinderry1064
Slaughtneil862
Bellaghy523
Loup523
Coleraine321
Magherafelt211
Ballinascreen202
Glenullin110
Lavey101
Dungiven101
Glen101
Kilrea101

12 Teams making final appearances, 5 non-winners from those 12 clubs, 6 have won and lost finals. 

Ballinderry's haul of 6 titles include back to back titles and a 3 in a row.  Slaughtneil have a 4 in a row. These two are top of the tree, with the Shamrocks making a couple more appearances than Slaughtneil.

4 teams (Ballinderry, Slaughtneil, Bellaghy Loup) with 27 appearances between them (15 victories)

Though, for 3 of them final appearances are getting further away:
Loup 2016, Ballinderry 2014, Bellaghy 2007

Bellaghy are joint 3rd on the list despite not appearing in a final since 2007 and haven't won one since 2005.

2018 & 2019 First time we'd 4 different teams in the final since the period 2007 – 2010 where there were 7 different teams in the final and 4 different winners.

Now looking at it for the last 30years inclusive.

SFC 1990 - 2020 (Inc)
ClubPlayedWonLost
Ballinderry1275
Bellaghy1064
Slaughtneil862
Lavey532
Loup523
Ballinascreen505
Dungiven422
Coleraine321
Magherafelt211
Glenullin101
Castledawson101
Glen101
Kilrea101
Newbridge101
Swatragh101

Looking at the two tables a couple of things stand out.  Ballinascreen have played the same amount of finals as Lavey & Loup but they've lost on each occasion. Though it appears to be lucky to beat  'Screen in the final.  As each team went on to win Ulster in each of the respective years ('90, '92, '94, '13 & '17)  Lavey won the AI, and Bellaghy and Slaughtneil got the AI Final.

Bellaghy's record dramatically improves including the 1990's. Moving them up to second in the table. They won 4 in the 90's from 5 final appearances.

6 teams have made a solitary appearance – with only Glenullin having made the most of that appearance.

Predicting the future!?!

You'd expect Glen to start winning senior titles now, great age profile for the side and they have been playing together for a good few years.  When they were winning their minor titles, and progressing to senior football, they were going into a team with only a very small number of seasoned senior players.  The return of Glass and having O'Rourke at the helm should be the catalyst required to get them over the line.

Magherafelt probably have a pick of well over 70 senior footballers, given the amount of players that have come through the last few years.  Remember seeing the photos of the senior/reserve/minor squads of a couple of years ago, they had huge numbers in their ranks.  They could easily field a completely different competitive side in each one of the Derry leagues. Their task will be putting them together in a formation that can continue to win titles for them, and keeping everyone happy. Might be wise for some to transfer to other local clubs to gain senior football experience, rather play reserves or thirds.

Bellaghy and Lavey, to me, they are in a similar position as Glen were a few years ago.  Excellent minor sides recently, but they are entering senior football without too many seasoned campaigners.  Bellaghy's last great side was off the back of superb 91 & 94 minor sides mixing with a few lads who had won in '86. Lavey's minor sides of '83 & '84, were the main reason behind their victories in the late '80s early '90s, but they still had the likes of Anthony McGurk on the panel.  Could be another couple of years before those two sides start to make their mark on the SFC. But they are definitely not too far away.

Slaughtneil, they're still going strong, but their total dominance has to come to an end, with the other sides emerging. Yeah, they have younger players like McGuigan and McKaigue (Jr), but others will have to be replaced soon. The like of Bradley and McEldowney cannot go on forever. McKaigue (Snr) is 31/32?, and has a couple of injuries recently. But, they'll definitely not go quietly into the night, and could still have a couple of C'ships left in them.

There you are, you can agree with me if you want, disagree with me if you want or add your own thoughts/opinions, and double check that I've got the facts right

Very interesting stuff Estimator - well done.

Just one thing - Glenullin in your 1990-2020 table should read 1 - 1 - 0.

They have the honour, along with many other clubs in Ireland, of never having lost a Derry County Final in 30 years!

Estimator

Apologies Franko, missed that one. Rectified it on the original post.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: JohnDenver on January 14, 2021, 09:57:07 AM
Quote from: toby47 on January 14, 2021, 08:29:14 AM
Quote from: restorepride on January 13, 2021, 07:07:08 PM
Quote from: Peter john on January 13, 2021, 06:25:14 PM
Kelvin Madden in with swatragh,will that be a good appointment ?
If he is anything to Kevin, it could be!! Seriously though, probably a sound enough appointment.  Swatragh, you would think, not that far away from mounting a serious championship challenge - with plenty of local encouragement, of course!

Swatragh have a fair few handy footballers at the minute. The 3 Kearney brothers, 2 McWilliams, McAtamney's however I feel they are very light on defenders. A strong front 8.

Am I right in thinking there is now a 4th younger brother on the scene now? and another handy player he is.  On paper they definitely have the makings of a team that can challenge.
[/quote
Is Jude McAtamney over in Australia  at the minute ,saw something on twitter about Pro kick Australia

Estimator

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on March 17, 2021, 04:46:40 PM
Quote from: JohnDenver on January 14, 2021, 09:57:07 AM
Quote from: toby47 on January 14, 2021, 08:29:14 AM
Quote from: restorepride on January 13, 2021, 07:07:08 PM
Quote from: Peter john on January 13, 2021, 06:25:14 PM
Kelvin Madden in with swatragh,will that be a good appointment ?
If he is anything to Kevin, it could be!! Seriously though, probably a sound enough appointment.  Swatragh, you would think, not that far away from mounting a serious championship challenge - with plenty of local encouragement, of course!

Swatragh have a fair few handy footballers at the minute. The 3 Kearney brothers, 2 McWilliams, McAtamney's however I feel they are very light on defenders. A strong front 8.

Am I right in thinking there is now a 4th younger brother on the scene now? and another handy player he is.  On paper they definitely have the makings of a team that can challenge.
[/quote
Is Jude McAtamney over in Australia  at the minute ,saw something on twitter about Pro kick Australia
His own Twitter account has him in Salt Lake City, (but it does refer to Pro Kick Australia) and there are a few videos of him kicking field goals. Fair play to him.

Estimator

JGDoire

Jeez could be Donegal in Ulster.........maybe we have a chance this year.........ever the optimist !

Derry Optimist

Bear with me all you loyal Derry GAA Folks as I enter dream mode re the forthcoming Ulster GAA championship fixtures.

First of all Down will surprise an over confident Donegal side to edge out the pre championship favourites Donegal. Not to be outdone a resurgent Derry team will defeat their 1994 nemesis Down in the quarter final to claim a brilliant victory. Meanwhile Cavan will play superbly to knock out Tyrone on penalties and qualify  to play the Oakleafers in the semi final.

A mighty performance from a quality Derry side will ensure that Cavan will not retain their provincial title as a dominant Derry half backline of Conor McCluskey, Chrissy McKaigue and Michael McEvoy will be instrumental in Shane McGuigan,Niall Loughlin and Niall Toner getting some super scores to put Derry in their first Ulster final or ten years.

Having narrowly defeated Armagh in the other semi final Monaghan will face  Derry in the decider. Again a very sound defence, aided by a brilliant midfield partnership of Conor Glass and Ciaran McFaul  will mean that the forward line  will get  a very plentiful supply of ball. Here Emmet Bradley, Padraig Cassidy, Shane McGuigan, Jack Doherty and substitutes Paul Cassidy, Benny Heron and Ethan Doherty  will be  particularly impressive in a six point victory!!

All of Ireland  will  enthusiastically await to see a new great Derry side reach headquarters. With our own version of Stephen Cluxton ie Odhran Lynch, the engine that is the non stop Brendan Rogers and the supreme man markers  Padraig McGrogan and Paul McNeill to supplement the talents of those already mentioned, everything is possible. The only question will be will it be this year or next before my dream starts to come true. Good luck to all panellists and management. Your day in the sun will come sooner rather than later.

Hoof Hearted

Your well named !!
Hope your right though
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Silver hill

Never mind about down or Donegal in the championship, Rory Gallagher's biggest challenge this year is getting us out of div 3. The Longford game away is massive. Make the league final and we're up. I'm not a fan of his style of play and remain skeptical that he won't be tempted to part the bus but am hearing very good reports about the shape the players are in and their reciprocal buy in.
Promotion will be a great step forward.

bannside

Should be in some shape, let's leave it at that!

tbrick18

Quote from: bannside on April 24, 2021, 08:14:33 AM
Should be in some shape, let's leave it at that!

Haven't heard much gossip this year, but I'm glad to hear this.
Promotion has to be the first goal and we're bound to be in better shape than last year with Glass getting a year under his belt (even if there wasn't much football played).
There was some good progress last year, progressing further this year hopefully.

Calm Down

Happened to take a dander by a neighbouring club there earlier where Drumsurn were playing a friendly, Jesus lads who gave Brady the job as manager? The (bad) attitude of that man is running through them already, yapping and shouting at another. Going to be a long season for them and I would be shocked if they make it to August without Brady gone after a fall out

Newbridge Exile

Rain  pelting down in Longford , up by one

Newbridge Exile

Glass with a couple of nice points from play