Creationism

Started by tyssam5, May 27, 2010, 11:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/may/26/northern-ireland-ulster-museum-creationism

The minister said he wrote a "very balanced letter" to the museum because he wanted to "reflect the views of all the people in Northern Ireland in all its richness and diversity".

Mmmm. Yes. Good man Nelson. Went to Canada once to see a GAA match.

Zapatista

To be fair he has a point.

tyssam5

Quote from: Zapatista on May 27, 2010, 11:40:57 PM
To be fair he has a point.

Only about spiders though. Those webs would nearly suggest intelligent design.

Fear ón Srath Bán

FFS I really did believe that dinosaurs died out in the late creataceous period, what fecking muppets these idiots are  :D :D :D :D

His call was condemned by the evolutionary biologist Professor Richard Dawkins, who said: "If the museum was to go down that road then perhaps they should bring in the stork theory of where babies come from. Or perhaps the museum should introduce the flat earth theory."

Dawkins said it was irrelevant if a large number of people in Northern Ireland refused to believe in evolution. "Scientific evidence can't be democratically decided," Dawkins said.

A large number of people in NI vote for the DUP Richard, nuff said  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zapatista

Quote from: tyssam5 on May 27, 2010, 11:43:37 PM
Only about spiders though. Those webs would nearly suggest intelligent design.

Beavers too ;)

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 27, 2010, 11:48:55 PM
FFS I really did believe that dinosaurs died out in the late creataceous period, what fecking muppets these idiots are  :D :D :D :D

His call was condemned by the evolutionary biologist Professor Richard Dawkins, who said: "If the museum was to go down that road then perhaps they should bring in the stork theory of where babies come from. Or perhaps the museum should introduce the flat earth theory."

Dawkins said it was irrelevant if a large number of people in Northern Ireland refused to believe in evolution. "Scientific evidence can't be democratically decided," Dawkins said.

A large number of people in NI vote for the DUP Richard, nuff said  ;)

Muppets all right but 'I think therefore I am'. If they believe it in big enough numbers then he has a point. I doubt there are very many people believe it though.

Main Street

Do catholics not believe in creationism as well?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Main Street on May 28, 2010, 12:06:59 AM

Doubtless, muppets all.

That's one thing, establishing and running a party (and owc) on that basis is another.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Main Street

There is no escape from the wrath.

tyssam5

Not the version below.

The belief that the Earth was divinely created in 4004 BC originates with the writings of another Ulster-based Protestant, Archbishop of Armagh James Ussher, in 1654. Ussher calculated the date based on textual clues in the Old Testament, even settling on a date and time for the moment of creation: in the early hours of 23 October

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: tyssam5 on May 28, 2010, 02:33:07 AM

Not the version below.

The belief that the Earth was divinely created in 4004 BC originates with the writings of another Ulster-based Protestant, Archbishop of Armagh James Ussher, in 1654. Ussher calculated the date based on textual clues in the Old Testament, even settling on a date and time for the moment of creation: in the early hours of 23 October
No, I'm pretty sure the Catholic Church embraces evolution and therefore doesn't take quite a lot of the bible seriously. You know, the bits that make their modern day theory look stupid. At least the creationists are consistent in that they reckon that everything in the bible is true. But I reckon that I'm God so I'd like a small corner to myself. I have two other followers. Enough?

Zapatista

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on May 28, 2010, 08:34:05 AM
No, I'm pretty sure the Catholic Church embraces evolution and therefore doesn't take quite a lot of the bible seriously. You know, the bits that make their modern day theory look stupid. At least the creationists are consistent in that they reckon that everything in the bible is true. But I reckon that I'm God so I'd like a small corner to myself. I have two other followers. Enough?

Strange run of thought there. Catholism get's a dig for modernising in line with new knowledge while creationists get applauded for being consitantly wrong?

screenmachine

All running hand in hand with Sammy's revelations a while ago that there was no such thing as Global Warming, etc. while he was the minister for the environment.  If this was any other country, these balloons would be laughed out of their positions.  You have to wonder what goes through these people's heads bar hot air and the odd occasional tumble weed... :'(
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Zapatista

Quote from: screenmachine on May 28, 2010, 08:51:08 AM
All running hand in hand with Sammy's revelations a while ago that there was no such thing as Global Warming, etc. while he was the minister for the environment. If this was any other country, these balloons would be laughed out of their positions.  You have to wonder what goes through these people's heads bar hot air and the odd occasional tumble weed... :'(

Not really. This is common in many countries from the US to Iran.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on May 28, 2010, 08:34:05 AM
Quote from: tyssam5 on May 28, 2010, 02:33:07 AM

Not the version below.

The same Catholic Church that believes chowing down on bread and wine is ~ to the body and blood of Christ...

As for Sammy Wilson, he's not exactly alone in his beliefs.

delboy

Quote from: screenmachine on May 28, 2010, 08:51:08 AM
All running hand in hand with Sammy's revelations a while ago that there was no such thing as Global Warming, etc. while he was the minister for the environment.  If this was any other country, these balloons would be laughed out of their positions.  You have to wonder what goes through these people's heads bar hot air and the odd occasional tumble weed... :'(

To be fair to him he's not dening global warming he's questioning the importance of the anthropological role in global warming, he's certainly not alone in that.

Personally i think hes wrong but I would actually agree with his stance (the ends justifies the means), its nonsensical  to think we can hold hold back the tide of global warming like some modern day king canoute with a few windfarms and the odd tax on plastic bags etc :-\
Even if the rabid greenies got their dream wish list it would hold back the inexorable march of temperture rise by a mere few years. Any money thrown at the problem is wasted money so in that respect i agree with sammy.

Now if the government was raising revenues to fund research into long term 'affordable' alternative energy sources in order to ensure the lights don't go out in the future then i'd be happy to see my tax go to that, as it is they don't and any money generated is going to be squandered paying/subsidising people to make very very expensive energy (which is often useless anyway because of the way the grid works) via windfarms and the like.