Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 04, 2021, 10:33:25 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on January 04, 2021, 08:12:01 PM
I thought Clarke might stay on since it's only a 6 month season this year.

Yes another reason for why I find it strange he's called time on his county career.

Mind you the poor lad puts up with a lot of negative scrutiny, not just the head cases online but the amount of coverage to his kick outs was over the top, especially when he has done his main job so well for over a decade or so. At least he went out with no one able to say he had a bad kick out in the All-Ireland final.

reillycavan

Tom Parsons. Some man to come back from that injury.

reillycavan

Quote from: Silver hill on January 05, 2021, 08:44:03 PM
Always thought Vaughan was completely overrated as a footballer. Probably cost mayo an all Ireland with a crazy tackle on Small in 2017. Slow around the pitch and slow in thought as well. Unforgivable that he left his home club,  ballinrobe, to seek greater glory with Castlebar. Karma that he can't even get on the mitchels side. I did note that neither club were thanked in his eulogy. 10 miles up the road, why would you bother?

A bit OTT?

reillycavan

Shane Enright Kerry retired.

Taylor

With it going to be a condensed season and with the Mayo lads having given so much service, if they had thought for one second they could win the holy grail this year, I dont believe they would have retired.

If the above is true and the second best team in the land dont believe they can win Sam then what hope for the lesser counties?

Tubberman

As per Edwin McGreal on Twitter:

The number of current players with All-Ireland medals outside Dublin is now down to 14, from 17 last month, following the three Kerry retirements. So not even enough to pull a team together.

https://twitter.com/edmcgreal/status/1346754909824286722
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Players from Counties 2 to 5 in the rankings now realising they're only there to see who gets the role of token opposition on AI Final day.
Hello Tom Ryan, Hello Central Council, Hello 31 County Boards.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

MayoBuck

Laois Rising

Quote from: Tubberman on January 06, 2021, 09:59:06 AM

The number of current players with All-Ireland medals outside Dublin is now down to 14, from 17 last month, following the three Kerry retirements. So not even enough to pull a team together.

And only one active player in Leinster with a Leinster championship medal and that is a 38 year old Ross Munnelly who incredibly looks like they will be still be there come 2021. His commitment is all the more commendable considering Laois have not had a team that is capable of matching Dublin since McNulty was manager.

reillycavan

Quote from: Laois Rising on January 06, 2021, 01:29:20 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on January 06, 2021, 09:59:06 AM

And only one active player in Leinster with a Leinster championship medal and that is a 38 year old Ross Munnelly who incredibly looks like they will be still be there come 2021. His commitment is all the more commendable considering Laois have not had a team that is capable of matching Dublin since McNulty was manager.

Correct Munnelly is lone survivor after Meath Graham Reilly retired

imtommygunn

macdanger2

Best of luck in retirement Seamie, top quality midfielder. I remember watching himself and Parsons in the U21 semi final (05 maybe?) against Kerry and they were brilliant

Lar Naparka

Quote from: macdanger2 on January 06, 2021, 03:35:00 PM
Best of luck in retirement Seamie, top quality midfielder. I remember watching himself and Parsons in the U21 semi final (05 maybe?) against Kerry and they were brilliant
Can't see Zippy hanging on much longer either.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

square_ball

Who's turn is it to retire in Mayo tomorrow? Higgins on Thursday and Boyle on Friday?

WhoDat

any truth that lee keegan is walking away from the game