Laois Senior Hurlers 2024

Started by mcwregor, November 26, 2023, 11:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcwregor

Clean Slate - New thread
Can we win the Joe Mc in 2024??
I believe they are back in training.
Who are the new members of the squad? Do we have everyone back from last year?

Verbal

Presume our fixtures will be (based on reversing last year's);
Offaly (Home)
Down (Away)
Kerry (Home)
Meath & Westmeath?

Westmeath at home would be ideal.
Not sure how they decide the final two fixtures.

I am unsure that we are capable of beating two of Offaly, Kerry & Westmeath
AND
Beating one of them again in the final.

Galtee1

If Laois get their best 15 on the field this year they will win the McDonagh.
The trouble is certain players not committing as always and also management not selecting the best players available. The best player in the club championship this year couldnt start for Laois which makes little sense to me

Laois man

So we have offaly at home in April in first round of the Joe McDonagh big game a win would be a great start.

Verbal

Quote from: mcwregor on November 26, 2023, 11:02:02 AMClean Slate - New thread
Can we win the Joe Mc in 2024??
I believe they are back in training.
Who are the new members of the squad? Do we have everyone back from last year?
Quote from: Verbal on November 26, 2023, 01:30:55 PMPresume our fixtures will be (based on reversing last year's);
Offaly (Home)
Down (Away)
Kerry (Home)
Meath & Westmeath?

Westmeath at home would be ideal.
Not sure how they decide the final two fixtures.

I am unsure that we are capable of beating two of Offaly, Kerry & Westmeath
AND
Beating one of them again in the final.

Confirmed
20/21 April- Offaly (Home)
27 April- Meath (Away)
4/5 May- Kerry (Away)
18/19 May- Down (Home)
25/26 May- Westmeath (Away)

Kerry away again.
3 out of 5 away again.
Laois can feel hard done by.
Unfortunately, we are at a point where away makes a difference against the likes of Kerry & Westmeath.
I don't think we will win both of those games.
We can't afford to lose both.

burdizzo

It'll be hard for us to win that Joe McDonagh on last year's form. Almost more important to have a good showing in the league, ensure we're back in Div 1B for '25 when the leagues are restructured into divisions of 7.

redsetanta

First campaign with a new manager last year and our form got better as the season went on. Let a couple of games slip which done us in the end. Had a good away win against Kerry. Hopefully lessons learned from last year. No reason why we can't win the McDonagh in my opinion.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Laois man

Any update will cha Dwyer ór Seán Downey bé back for next year?

County Man

Looking forward to what should be an interesting year for the Laois hurlers.

The standout fixture in the league is the game at home v Carlow, see how we are progressing when playing the Joe McDonagh champions and a team preparing for the Leinster championship. The top 2 in the division will qualify for the newly restructured Division 1B in 2025.

The Joe McDonagh cup campaign promises to be as competitive as ever. My feeling is that the final will involve 2 of Laois/Westmeath/Offaly. Our first game at home v Offaly is massive. Winning that would take a lot of the heat off. If we lose to Offaly, the pressure would be huge to get the win away against Westmeath in the last round. Obviously, we couldn't afford to lose both.

Would be great to be McDonagh champions again. Hopefully we can get to the final anyway and give it a crack.

mcwregor

Good to hear of Lee cleere returning. Not sure of the panel mKe up but there are plenty of lads that might not be available which will weaken what we could potentially have. I understand Paddy Purcell is unlikely to return. Jack Kelly has not been asked back. Ross king is currently not with the squad and uncertainty around his future. James keyes is in America and would be a big loss if he stays out there. Cha Dwyer and Sean Downey are still abroad, not sure if they will he around either. PJ Scully is not part of the panel for 2024 either. A couple of others we could do with are Ciaran McEvoy, Eanna Lyons etc.
On the positives Picky Maher and Willie dunphy are back along with a few youngsters like cathal and Tom cuddy, David dooley, jer quinlan, Aaron phelan and a couple more. Also heard that Mark kavanagh might be making a return.
We will need them all, westmeath and an up and coming offaly will be hard bet. Be great to get to a mcdonagh final and a day out in croker.

les Antiques

Quote from: mcwregor on December 17, 2023, 04:04:05 PMGood to hear of Lee cleere returning. Not sure of the panel mKe up but there are plenty of lads that might not be available which will weaken what we could potentially have. I understand Paddy Purcell is unlikely to return. Jack Kelly has not been asked back. Ross king is currently not with the squad and uncertainty around his future. James keyes is in America and would be a big loss if he stays out there. Cha Dwyer and Sean Downey are still abroad, not sure if they will he around either. PJ Scully is not part of the panel for 2024 either. A couple of others we could do with are Ciaran McEvoy, Eanna Lyons etc.
On the positives Picky Maher and Willie dunphy are back along with a few youngsters like cathal and Tom cuddy, David dooley, jer quinlan, Aaron phelan and a couple more. Also heard that Mark kavanagh might be making a return.
We will need them all, westmeath and an up and coming offaly will be hard bet. Be great to get to a mcdonagh final and a day out in croker.

According to this article everyone is back on board.

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/gaa/1373513/theres-no-stone-being-left-unturned-laois-hurling-manager-willie-maher.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Blow-in

Quote from: les Antiques on December 18, 2023, 07:14:42 PM
Quote from: mcwregor on December 17, 2023, 04:04:05 PMGood to hear of Lee cleere returning. Not sure of the panel mKe up but there are plenty of lads that might not be available which will weaken what we could potentially have. I understand Paddy Purcell is unlikely to return. Jack Kelly has not been asked back. Ross king is currently not with the squad and uncertainty around his future. James keyes is in America and would be a big loss if he stays out there. Cha Dwyer and Sean Downey are still abroad, not sure if they will he around either. PJ Scully is not part of the panel for 2024 either. A couple of others we could do with are Ciaran McEvoy, Eanna Lyons etc.

According to this article everyone is back on board.

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/gaa/1373513/theres-no-stone-being-left-unturned-laois-hurling-manager-willie-maher.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I heard Mark Kavanagh has reluctantly left the panel due to his knee holding him back.

One worry I have is the amount of u20s on the panel. A few players are only gone 18 and on the panel. Personally I think it's wrong. Let them develop at their own age.

Laois man

Hard to see pitches playable for games this week shocking rain falling.

les Antiques

Quote from: Laois man on January 02, 2024, 12:55:21 PMHard to see pitches playable for games this week shocking rain falling.

Match Thursday in C/B moved to COE in Portlaoise.

G@@

Good result on the scoreboard.
Laois 2-18 v 0-18 Offaly.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!