China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 11, 2021, 03:37:26 PM
9 deaths today so ramping up unfortunately :(

On the plus side looks like less than 200 in the hospital for the first time in a very long time.

They need to get all the regular treatment going again, that has been disrupted for two thirds of the last year in some cases. The backlog will be horrendous.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: clarshack on March 11, 2021, 11:11:53 AM
Is there evidence that the vaccine stops transmission?

Yes.
i usse an speelchekor

Smurfy123

Plenty of real life evidence that it stops transmission
If I was putting 2 and 2 together I would say the outbreak at Belfast city hospital last week has something to do with ye high number of deaths Wednesday and Thursday?

A big day Tuesday for the executive. Will any restrictions be lifted?
By then we are likely to have double figures in hospital if the drop rate continues. 170 approx in now
At what numbers in hospital is it hard not to start lifting restrictions.
By Easter we have the potential of as low as 10 or 20 in hospital

lenny

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 11, 2021, 11:48:12 AM
Quote from: clarshack on March 11, 2021, 10:56:00 AM
https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0311/1203346-coronavirus-vaccine/

I've never been anti-vaccine but this time I think i'll go with my immune system and a 99.97% recovery rate.

Not dead ≠ recovery

I was talking to a doctor yesterday evening and he was telling me that the latest thinking around the people who have long COVID is that it's something they're going to have to live with. The research shows that there is chronic damage to the heart which is causing the fatigue and there is no treatment which is going to help. Considering that around 5% of infected people go on to get long COVID including young people then that's an extremely serious risk.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: lenny on March 12, 2021, 10:35:06 AM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 11, 2021, 11:48:12 AM

I've never been anti-vaccine but this time I think i'll go with my immune system and a 99.97% recovery rate.

Not dead ≠ recovery

I was talking to a doctor yesterday evening and he was telling me that the latest thinking around the people who have long COVID is that it's something they're going to have to live with. The research shows that there is chronic damage to the heart which is causing the fatigue and there is no treatment which is going to help. Considering that around 5% of infected people go on to get long COVID including young people then that's an extremely serious risk.

Yes, throughout the pandemic many people have failed to recognise that there is a substantial and significant middle ground between death and full, uninhibited recovery.

Some of this is down to naive misconception, some of it more nefarious. Either way, you hope those with responsibility for encouraging vaccine uptake could communicate more effectively on these matters.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Evil Genius

From earlier today:

Countries should not stop using AstraZeneca's Covid-19 vaccine over fears it causes blood clots as there is no indication this is true, the World Health Organization says.

Bulgaria, Denmark and Norway are among the countries that have paused its use.

But on Friday a WHO spokeswoman said there was no link between the jab and an increased risk of developing a clot.

Margaret Harris said it was an "excellent vaccine" and should continue to be used.

Around 5 million Europeans have already received the AstraZeneca jab.

There have been about 30 cases in Europe of "thromboembolic events" - or developing blood clots - after the vaccine was administered. There were also reports that a 50-year-old man had died in Italy after developing deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

The WHO is investigating the reports, as it does any safety questions, Ms Harris said.

But no causal relationship had been established between the shot and the health problems reported, she said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-56370636
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

J70

What would the normal incidence of these clots be in a similar population who had not received the vaccine?

South Laois man

Quote from: J70 on March 12, 2021, 08:20:30 PM
What would the normal incidence of these clots be in a similar population who had not received the vaccine?
the amount of clots as a percentage is lower in all the people vaccinated with the astra Zenica vaccine than it is in the general population.

armaghniac

Some populations have more Clots than others.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Gmac

Quote from: South Laois man on March 12, 2021, 10:15:14 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 12, 2021, 08:20:30 PM
the amount of clots as a percentage is lower in all the people vaccinated with the astra Zenica vaccine than it is in the general population.
wasn't blood clotting killing a lot of people who got the virus?!

Smurfy123

So it seems Wales and Scotland have raced ahead of us with the reopening and England with a clear plan and also all school kids back in
Wales now allowed all outdoor sports to resume from today and hairdressers open from Monday
Scotland outdoor sports never stopped
England to start the bug reopening in 2 weeks time

Big indications from Foster that Tuesday will see us move to level 2 in most of the 9 sectors
Considering we have a further 3 levels after that and the numbers we have level 2 was the least we expected on Tuesday

Cases have plateaued at around the 170 seven day average which really is as good as it's going to get
If we can keep things below 3/400 cases in the next few months we are doing well

As per what the vaccine said the number of people entering hospital on the back of covid have plummeted and with the role out moving fast that should only improve. Over 650000 first doses given out and a further 200000 expected by the end of March. We could see 60% of the adult population jabbed in 2 weeks. Amazing achievement by the NHS

NUMBERS

Hospital 180
ICU 25
Cases per week 2/300
Vaccines 650000 first

2 options on Tuesday

Lift nothing and really blow the hopes and motivation of the public
Lift some restrictions to give everyone a lift

We are in a much better place than pre Christmas opening

Christmas
20000 vaccinated
600 cases per day
All open with the exception of pubs
Streets packed
Better weather
Hospitals generally under pressure November-March
Household mixing

Anyone who says looked what happened when we opened Christmas don't

It will be hard for Celebrity McBride to let go

Dubh driocht

With the decision by the Irish National Immunisation Advisory Committee to suspend use of the Astra Zenica vaccine will any Nordies reconsider getting the jab in the next few weeks?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dubh driocht on March 14, 2021, 10:28:00 AM
With the decision by the Irish National Immunisation Advisory Committee to suspend use of the Astra Zenica vaccine will any Nordies reconsider getting the jab in the next few weeks?

I've taken the Phizer one, due the second jab soon, mum and in laws have had the Oxford , they haven't expressed any issues and seem to be looking forward for their second jab.

Is the south looking at getting a different vaccine now?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 14, 2021, 11:13:04 AM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on March 14, 2021, 10:28:00 AM

I've taken the Phizer one, due the second jab soon, mum and in laws have had the Oxford , they haven't expressed any issues and seem to be looking forward for their second jab.

Is the south looking at getting a different vaccine now?

I suppose with the numbers being administered the world over, they'll always be links to certain major and minor ailments. Every country has the right to be cautious when it sees fit.
Don't think I've ever heard a North man use the term 'Nordie'before (Dubh).. Such a weedy wee word

Dubh driocht

Aye, agree nordie is  a weedy word alright.  Couldn't think of a handier one to make the point that this dilemma only applies to the wee six.
For what it's worth I plan to go ahead with Astra Zenica