China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

Quote from: In hiding on March 10, 2021, 07:44:58 AM
Where can you find the age breakdown of the 230 people who tested positive yesterday.
Were there many over 70s ?
Is the vaccine working ?
the vaccine doesnt stop one getting covid , it simply reduces the effects of covid on the person
covid will still be about

Milltown Row2

Quote from: naka on March 10, 2021, 11:47:22 AM
Quote from: In hiding on March 10, 2021, 07:44:58 AM
Where can you find the age breakdown of the 230 people who tested positive yesterday.
Were there many over 70s ?
Is the vaccine working ?
the vaccine doesnt stop one getting covid , it simply reduces the effects of covid on the person
covid will still be about

Exactly, its purpose is to reduce the death rate and make it a treatable illness, like the Flu  ;) then we can go about as normal
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ed Ricketts

I think the above is the relevant data from the north's dashboard, and at a glance it does seem like the vaccine is doing something.

First two weeks of the year in the 80+ group the proportion of tests returning positive was 11.7%
Most recent two weeks in the 80+ group the proportion of tests returning positive was 1.3%

But the proportion of tests returning positive is down across all age groups. This is the impact of the lockdown. However, to use the (largely unvaccinated) 20-39 age group as a control, it does seem like the percentage of those testing positive is falling much more steeply in the vaccinated age groups.

First two weeks of the year in the 20-39 age group the proportion of tests returning positive was 16.8%
Most recent two weeks in the 20-39 age group the proportion of tests returning positive was 4.8%

So in early January a young person taking a Covid test was 44% more likely to test positive than someone over 80 taking a test (16.8 v 11.7). Now a young person is 369% more likely to test positive than a person over 80 (4.8 v 1.3), who has probably had the vaccine.

Very rough calculations that don't tell anything like the full story, but still, it looks to me like the vaccine is doing its job. The picture will become more clear as things reopen.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Taylor

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 10, 2021, 01:02:13 PM

I think the above is the relevant data from the north's dashboard, and at a glance it does seem like the vaccine is doing something.

First two weeks of the year in the 80+ group the proportion of tests returning positive was 11.7%
Most recent two weeks in the 80+ group the proportion of tests returning positive was 1.3%

But the proportion of tests returning positive is down across all age groups. This is the impact of the lockdown. However, to use the (largely unvaccinated) 20-39 age group as a control, it does seem like the percentage of those testing positive is falling much more steeply in the vaccinated age groups.

First two weeks of the year in the 20-39 age group the proportion of tests returning positive was 16.8%
Most recent two weeks in the 20-39 age group the proportion of tests returning positive was 4.8%

So in early January a young person taking a Covid test was 44% more likely to test positive than someone over 80 taking a test (16.8 v 11.7). Now a young person is 369% more likely to test positive than a person over 80 (4.8 v 1.3), who has probably had the vaccine.

Very rough calculations that don't tell anything like the full story, but still, it looks to me like the vaccine is doing its job. The picture will become more clear as things reopen.

But that cannot be anything to do with the vaccine - the vaccine makes you less sick - it doesnt stop you getting or spreading it - unless my understanding is skewered?

Armagh18

Quote from: Taylor on March 10, 2021, 01:28:00 PM

But that cannot be anything to do with the vaccine - the vaccine makes you less sick - it doesnt stop you getting or spreading it - unless my understanding is skewered?
makes you less likely to get it or spread it as far as I know

HiMucker

Quote from: Taylor on March 10, 2021, 01:28:00 PM

I could be wrong here, but is it not just that they don't have the data to prove that yet? Historically has vaccines not been found to do just that, especially were the viral load is  such a factor in transmissibility? Again open to correction here, that was my limited interpretation of it.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: HiMucker on March 10, 2021, 01:43:33 PM
I could be wrong here, but is it not just that they don't have the data to prove that yet? Historically has vaccines not been found to do just that, especially were the viral load is  such a factor in transmissibility? Again open to correction here, that was my limited interpretation of it.

That's my understanding too. Can't promise that vaccines will cut transmission without the data, but the logic is that they probably will.

It's just going to take a while to collect, analyse and publish the relevant data.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

GetOverTheBar

The proof is not yet in, but all indicators are, that having the vaccine reduces your viral load....as a result lowers your ability to spread. The Isrealis I think put out a study saying it reduced symptom transmission by 85%, asymtomatic was a bit lower if I recall correctly both after a certain number of days.

The vaccine is still the way out, but yeah....it doesn't actually stop you getting it....or spreading it. But hopefully the uptake of the vaccine in turn with help push through this "herd immunity".

It's still a better spot to be in than we were 6 months ago. It's going the right way.

armaghniac

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 10, 2021, 01:52:02 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on March 10, 2021, 01:43:33 PM

That's my understanding too. Can't promise that vaccines will cut transmission without the data, but the logic is that they probably will.

It's just going to take a while to collect, analyse and publish the relevant data.

From Israel, it seems to eliminate three-quarters or more of transmission. This would increase the R rate. So if most people were vaccinated and you still had some restrictions than the virus would die out in that country as each person would infect less than one other person.
https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/coronavirus/1615215547-under-1-of-fully-vaccinated-israelis-contracted-covid-19-health-ministry-reports
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Smurfy123

Celebrity McBride doom and gloom on again about don't plan anything for Patrick's day or Easter. Then it will be May Day. Then the 12th and so on
4 people admitted to hospital today in a population of 1.9 millions
Our biggest order of vaccines has arrived
Only 50 over 85s have passed away on four consecutive days in the uk in January that number was 597. And I say that with the upmost respect to each of those
When is celebrity McBride going to give us some hope
Any hope
Just something to cling onto

bennydorano

Next review is 18th March, but I'm sure you knew that. You know talking shite on an Internet discussion board will change nothing right?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 10, 2021, 05:08:02 PM
Celebrity McBride doom and gloom on again about don't plan anything for Patrick's day or Easter. Then it will be May Day. Then the 12th and so on
Only 50 over 85s have passed away on four consecutive days in the uk in January that number was 597. And I say that with the upmost respect to each of those
Any hope

Yesterday you said the previous day 5 people had been admitted to hospital. If you look that number has now been updated to 14 (the previous days number always seems to be too low as data must not be through). Also I notice you didn't mention 8 people died of covid in the last 24 hours here - not sure why the jump - wonder if there was an outbreak in a hospital or something.

Taylor

47 more deaths and 631 new cases in the 26  :-\

Rossfan

It hasn't gone away ya know :-X
601,000 1st jabs in the 6, 47,000 got 2nd.
Circa 350,000 and 160,000 here.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 10, 2021, 05:16:53 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 10, 2021, 05:08:02 PM
Any hope

Yesterday you said the previous day 5 people had been admitted to hospital. If you look that number has now been updated to 14 (the previous days number always seems to be too low as data must not be through). Also I notice you didn't mention 8 people died of covid in the last 24 hours here - not sure why the jump - wonder if there was an outbreak in a hospital or something.

Yeah they seem to not get all the numbers the next day so you can see a jump alright. The numbers were basically exponentially decreasing for a good while there but that has tapered off and we seem to have pretty much flatlined. Thankfully more are going out of hospital than coming in so that is progress.

Not good on eight deaths as that is definitely a jump :(