Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnysboys

With the way the game is moving particularly at intercounty level - can you realistically start out your career at 28/29?? I understand savage and mcgarry being very good club players and not intercounty standard - that has happened loads in the past and I'm sure will again in the future.. intercounty is seriously pacy and conditioned players who are usually early to mid 20s when establishing themselves.. Are there any potential u20 players who could feature this year???

Dubh driocht

Tally will stick with the players he trusts so the current panel will have to step up. Nobody will know more than themselves and they could win the next two games if the kick out strategy is addressed immediately and players believe in themselves.  One practical suggestion; Burns always seems to be in a rush, presumably under orders, he should compose himself more and get it right.
On a separate note, great win for the hurlers. Down were 5 to 1 according to the Irish News so that result from Ballycran is a big one

6th sam

Quote from: Dubh driocht on May 16, 2021, 06:56:49 PM
Tally will stick with the players he trusts so the current panel will have to step up. Nobody will know more than themselves and they could win the next two games if the kick out strategy is addressed immediately and players believe in themselves.  One practical suggestion; Burns always seems to be in a rush, presumably under orders, he should compose himself more and get it right.
On a separate note, great win for the hurlers. Down were 5 to 1 according to the Irish News so that result from Ballycran is a big one

Massive result for the hurlers. Carlow had been threatening to break into top 10 in recent years , and are surrounded by Hurling counties compared to Down's isolation, massive credit to all involved

johnnycool

Quote from: 6th sam on May 16, 2021, 09:15:46 PM

Massive result for the hurlers. Carlow had been threatening to break into top 10 in recent years , and are surrounded by Hurling counties compared to Down's isolation, massive credit to all involved

TBH I didn't see that one coming and thought like everyone else thought there would be 10+ points between the teams.

Soundings from some of our lads on the panel were that the previous week they'd just run out of puff after driving all the way to Kerry in the morning and then to play a game of hurling is unrealistic after 6 odd hours on a bus.

Wicklow next, a game they'd be expecting to win so hopefully they can kick on and get another few points on the board before facing Offaly and Meath.

grounded

Quote from: 6th sam on May 16, 2021, 09:15:46 PM

Brilliant result from the hurlers. As others have said totally unexpected. Roll on Wicklow.
      As for the footballers, is anybody seriously  surprised by the result? Apart from Dublin who are in different stratosphere, Mayo along with Kerry are probably the best of the rest.
      Its also the first game of the league in a most disjointed year, preparation wise.
       I wouldn't be too disheartened. We definitely have potential to improve.

Johnnysboys

Footballers home to Meath this weekend - now a must win game to keep divisional status.

Who should start??

SHEEDY

Quote from: Johnnysboys on May 17, 2021, 10:55:02 PM
Footballers home to Meath this weekend - now a must win game to keep divisional status.

Who should start??
a home match but in the athletic grounds 🙄 this week's match will give us a better idea of where we stand
nil satis nisi optimum

Smurfy123

Must win match for Down in Armagh on Sunday
Not to often Armagh do Down any favours but the allowed Down to train on it

Down team for Sunday

My pick

O hare
Fegan
McEvoy
McGovern
Annett
O Hagan
D guiness
J Flynn
C Mooney
Poland
Devlin
McConville
Quinn
O Hagan
McArdle Sweeper

Nanderson

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 18, 2021, 07:51:06 PM

Down team for Sunday

My pick

O hare
Fegan
McEvoy
McGovern
Annett
O Hagan
D guiness
J Flynn
C Mooney
Poland
Devlin
McConville
Quinn
O Hagan
McArdle Sweeper
Something tells me O'Hare isn't county this season. Think he lined out for Glenn last weekend. Marc Reid is back up goalie I believe

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 18, 2021, 07:51:06 PM

Down team for Sunday

My pick

O hare
Fegan
McEvoy
McGovern
Annett
O Hagan
D guiness
J Flynn
C Mooney
Poland
Devlin
McConville
Quinn
O Hagan
McArdle Sweeper

Annett not on panel either...

Smurfy123

Why are they not in squad?

Would have liked to see both in Action

It's a massive match.

Meath supporters seem to feel they have went back in 2 years and put in a poor performance on Sunday so we may see the backlash

Thinking about the keeper situation. Whilst I'm certainly not his biggest fan Burns seems to be hung out to dry by management and players. No kickout strategy falls back on him. He has obviously been told to hit that famous pack where all the players bunch and try win the break ball.

redandblackareback

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 19, 2021, 06:53:33 AM
Why are they not in squad?

Would have liked to see both in Action

It's a massive match.

Meath supporters seem to feel they have went back in 2 years and put in a poor performance on Sunday so we may see the backlash

Thinking about the keeper situation. Whilst I'm certainly not his biggest fan Burns seems to be hung out to dry by management and players. No kickout strategy falls back on him. He has obviously been told to hit that famous pack where all the players bunch and try win the break ball.

Annett left and O'Hare hasnt been on the panel in two years. Why would you not play your own club man Smurfy?

Massive game is right, we really need to win this Sunday (and we can) or else its a battle on the final day to see who gets the handier relegation play off. Staying up is all we can hope for because we wont beat Donegal.

Smurfy123

Down team for tomorrow

M Reid
C McCartan
G McGovern
P Fegan
P Laverty
C Mooney
D o Hagan
J Flynn
C Poland
D Guiness
J guiness
R McEvoy
P Devln
B o Hagan
C Quinn

I like the sound of Mooney in defence coming onto the ball. He had great year when Down reached the ulster final
Poland and Flynn better at midfield as both were played out of position last week
Burns McKernan Murdock Collins and Doherty pay the price for last weeks performance
Is Darren ready for a full match
Is Reid up for it
A strong team hopefully a big performance

Lloyd p

Some recovery from C Mccartan after you telling us he'd done his cruciate Smurfy!? Something tells me you are a complete spoofer  ::)

Smurfy123

How can you spoof naming a team?