Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

It's somewhere between needy and confused to involve such a big management team. The u20 season is not long enough, not exclusive enough (in terms of player availability) and doesn't enjoy enough continuity of players year-on-year, to warrant over analysis, over training, over conditioning.

It's even odder as Laverty has brought a club team up through the ranks at this exact age group, so in terms of scouting, he will be familiar with the all but the springiest of springers sent his way.

Why anyone would want hours of management meetings and calls about something they've so little time to mould into a team with an identity  is, I suppose, beyond me.

But i still have a good feeling about  the top of this tree. If football brains on the field has any correlation with football brains off the field, we should be in for a treat.

Smurfy123

No bitterness here
Was just calling ardtole out on his quite remarkable comment
Lads get carried away and come out with wild statements like that
It's like calling a good player a legend
Everyone's a legend these days

whitegoodman

Or like calling someone who has never won anything a born winner !

Targetman

Good to see Laverty getting involved in the county set up, Sean Boylan's involvement is a bit out there but good luck to them, with a bit of success this could be our senior management team in the next few years

yewtree

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 10, 2020, 06:46:43 PM
Conor laverty, Marty Clarke and Sean boylan set to be confirmed tonight for down u20s.

Disgraceful appointment, to bring in an outsider like Boylan ahead of Pete McGrath.
Conor Laverty has never managed a senior team , he was with Monaghan for a few months and they didn't want him back. Martín Clarke was at St John's and did nothing. If we are going down this celebrity route with Boylan things are at a low ebb.
To overlook the Niall McAleenan management was disgraceful and as I alluded to before , could have easily persuaded Pete McGrath in to mentor him. But to bring in Boylan is laughable.
With respect to him he is hardly relevant to the game now, he has been away from it two decades now.
I thought with Jack Devaney at the helm things would change but Down still stuck in the 90s.

5times5times

Quote from: yewtree on December 11, 2020, 05:36:11 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on December 10, 2020, 06:46:43 PM
Conor laverty, Marty Clarke and Sean boylan set to be confirmed tonight for down u20s.

Disgraceful appointment, to bring in an outsider like Boylan ahead of Pete McGrath.
Conor Laverty has never managed a senior team , he was with Monaghan for a few months and they didn't want him back. Martín Clarke was at St John's and did nothing. If we are going down this celebrity route with Boylan things are at a low ebb.
To overlook the Niall McAleenan management was disgraceful and as I alluded to before , could have easily persuaded Pete McGrath in to mentor him. But to bring in Boylan is laughable.
With respect to him he is hardly relevant to the game now, he has been away from it two decades now.
I thought with Jack Devaney at the helm things would change but Down still stuck in the 90s.

Down still stuck in the 90s.

And yet you want Pete McGrath?????
Sure why not give it to Ross/DJ/Wee James
Also, how do you know Laverty not still with Monaghan?

Gaelforce123

5 times beat me to it. You want McGrath but you want out of the 90's??

Im no fan of Laverty but he is a very good coach and highly regarded one and he gets my respect for that. Has done great things in terms of coaching and development in his own club and with other clubs in Ulster he has been involved unknown to many. Some antics of his his playing and coaching past i dislike but no denying hes good man for the job. Boylan a great idea... someone from outside the county with very experienced head and no predetermined thoughts on any player that will also be a good mentor. I wouldnt be as
Keen on Marty Clarke being in as has done zero in terms of coaching but maybe as a forwards coach or more technical skills stuff he may have a place. Rest of the management spot On and good overall team new and fresh bring new approaches to a good group of players. All not rosey in monaghan obviously as banty has lost Laverty and Peter Donnelly in past 2 weeks

Sandstorm

Great appointment. Down have been stuck with 91/94 for too long. It was like groundhog day.

Verticalball

Delighted to see this to be honest. No sense in having Laverty in Monaghan when we need the best coaches here. Exciting management and if a few more make it through to seniors we can challenge at senior level for an Ulster title.

snoopdog

Is ther much talk of hope for the current Down Minor footballers in this years championship. Obviously it's will be a team heavily resourced from Burren.   Tyrone are prob a strong side as usual. Monaghan have done well recently. I havent seen any odds on this.

whitegoodman

Yes would be a big disappointment if they don't at least make an Ulster final especially with the easier side of the draw.

The only doubts are that it's all on the day and if there is any issues around covid.

Johnnysboys

There is huge expectation on this minor group to deliver. Now I believe they can at least get to the Ulster final and then it's just one performance to win it. They should be relatively fresh by the time they get to the final too as they have an easy side of the draw. They will account for Fermanagh easily next weekend and Monaghan should beat Cavan - Monaghan have done quite well in recent seasons at minor but this years group are not well placed.
The other side of the draw with Donegal, Tyrone and Derry is tough to call. But either Tyrone or Donegal should be the opposition in the final.
Huge representation from burren on this panel and indeed team - add in a couple from Bredagh, young Savage from Loughinisland and big Jack Howlett from CPN and you have a serious team.
Regarding the U20 appointment - I'm not a fan but am willing to give it a go - let's see what happens.

Lloyd p

Caolan Mooney transfer from Rostrevor to RGU has now been confirmed I believe. With word that Anthony Doherty also returning home from oz Downpatrick will be hard to stop in division 2 next season. Any other new management appointments confirmed?

Sandstorm

knockitdown

Why has Mooney transfered to Downpatrick?