Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd p

Quote from: downjim on November 09, 2020, 08:49:22 AM
A great second half performance yesterday and the subs made a big impact. We need to sort out midfield as this is were Cavan beat Monaghan and their midfield is not bad. I would start Ryan Johnston as he is a better footballer than both midfielders who played yesterday.
Impressed with Fegan , Laverty and Guinness in defence and with Murdock looking solid at 3 there is something to build on there. Up front  we definitely have some classy players who when given room can hurt teams. Interesting use of Kerr and Quinn who are in my opinion in the top 6 forwards in the county but coming on to a tired defence caused a lot of problems and Down were dominant from then on.
The only Branaigan who would get near that team would be Dabs. The gulf between club and county is fierce.

So downjim do you think that the likes of pierce laverty (who played well yesterday no doubt) playing his club football in division 2 is fit for county football but not aaron branagan whose been a standout performer for kilcoo senior championship winning teams every year for the last number of years?? Seems a strange assessment.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Lloyd p on November 09, 2020, 05:36:42 PM
A great second half performance yesterday and the subs made a big impact. We need to sort out midfield as this is were Cavan beat Monaghan and their midfield is not bad. I would start Ryan Johnston as he is a better footballer than both midfielders who played yesterday.
Impressed with Fegan , Laverty and Guinness in defence and with Murdock looking solid at 3 there is something to build on there. Up front  we definitely have some classy players who when given room can hurt teams. Interesting use of Kerr and Quinn who are in my opinion in the top 6 forwards in the county but coming on to a tired defence caused a lot of problems and Down were dominant from then on.
The only Branaigan who would get near that team would be Dabs. The gulf between club and county is fierce.

So downjim do you think that the likes of pierce laverty (who played well yesterday no doubt) playing his club football in division 2 is fit for county football but not aaron branagan whose been a standout performer for kilcoo senior championship winning teams every year for the last number of years?? Seems a strange assessment.

Aaron, Aidan, Dabs, Eugene, Niall DO NOT WANT TO PLAY COUNTY FOOTBALL.. Wee James tried, Jim McCorry tried (he had a good insight with them too), Eamon Burns god rest him tried and paddy Tally has tried. They don't want to play, they are fiercely committed to their club but not county - not ever... can we PLEASE move on...
Joe Fitzpatrick, Gavin Comiskey, Colm ONeill, Anthony Cunningham, Miceal Moley, Martin Calliff, Donal Murtagh all played for Crossmaglen and won 1/2/3 All Ireland's but never played county senior football in Armagh's glory years between 99-08... This happens. Successful club teams have fierce committed players who absolutely excel at club level but don't want to play county or have tried and didn't adjust to the pace, commitment or physicality of it.. Can we please for the love off god move on from the Brannagins and indeed other Kilcoo players not on the panel...

PTC

Can't understand why any kilcoo lads went to the county after county board members cheering for corofin in croke park, ward was dropped for going to rough in training

downjim

Quote from: Lloyd p on November 09, 2020, 05:36:42 PM

Not a strange assessment I am just giving my opinion, the 5 lads have been excellent stalwarts for their club throughout the years and I commend their efforts. But players who excel at club level do not necessarily excel at county level. Aaron a few years ago would have been good enough for the squad  and Choc was around the squad for a few years but could never cement a consistent place in the first 15. But what a club player and that is not being patronising IMA.

There are countless throughout Down and the rest of the country .

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-lundy-latest-to-see-gulf-between-club-and-county-1.2251717

Gaelforce123

Hard to believe they are still being talked about when they are not county players. Aidan was about the county long enough and wasn't good enough for a starting place consistently, he also felt hard done by with the CB in other cases where he felt they could have backed him or been in his corner so there is no surprise that he wasnt selling county football to his younger brothers and pushing them to go to it. They are committed to club yes, no more than other county players are to their clubs. There is a huge difference in county football to club and both Daryl and Aaron could make that jump. C Doherty and P Devlin are on county and not at the level of Daryl and Aaron. To talk about the 5 Brannagans is pointless. 2 of them should be on county but dont want to be and thats fine. D Ward is on panel and didnt make match day squad, we dont be at trainings, we see club games and thats it, so the managers will pick 26 based on what they see. The current panel is very young, bursting with speed and over the next few years with experience could well become a force so rather than run them down until then, support them now until then.....

downjim

Would anyone have an up to date managerial appointments for 2021 please for all four divisions?

Johnnysboys

Quote from: downjim on November 13, 2020, 10:53:46 AM
Would anyone have an up to date managerial appointments for 2021 please for all four divisions?

Division 1

Kilcoo. Micky Moran
Clonduff vacated yesterday
Mayobridge CiarĂ n mc Keever
Burren Jim mc Corry
Ballyholland Justin Lynch
CPN Shane Mulholland
Rostrevor Pete McGrath (senior)
Loughinisland Jody Gormley
Bryansford Stephen Poacher
Carryduff DJ Morgan

Johnnysboys

Division 2

Glen
Longstone - Benny Coulter
Saul - Ronan McCartan
Darragh Cross - DJ Kane/Enda Gormley
Castlewellan - Frank Dawson
RGU -
An Riocht -
Annaclone -
Bredagh - Brendan Mason
At John's

Division 3

Drumgath - Jackie Lynch
Laitroim - Frank Fitzsimmons
Ballymartin -
Saval - Ronan Sexton
Shamrocks -
Tullylish -
Clann Na Banna -
Teconnaught -
Auglisnafin -
Attical -
St. John's Bosco -

Division 4

Dundrum - John Clarke
Glasdrumman -
St Paul's -
Drumaness -
Dromara -
Kilclief -
Mitchell's - John Treanor
Ahaderg -
Bright -
Ardglass -
At Michael's -
East Belfast -

SHEEDY

Brillant win by the hurlers, no one had give them much of a chance. Unreal performance.
nil satis nisi optimum

6th sam

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 14, 2020, 04:00:55 PM
Brillant win by the hurlers, no one had give them much of a chance. Unreal performance.

Serious result. Brilliant work

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Fantastic win.  I wasn't overly impressed with Offaly against us last week, just we were shite

Milltown Row2

Yes watching scores on Twitter, fantastic result well deserved
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dingle82

Serious result today .. well done

Smurfy123

Good second half performance last week. That's what is needed tomorrow. I think we will win with a few to spare. Cavan no great shakes.
Expect Kerr and Johnstone to start
We can't not start them
Can't wait for this match
Well done to the hurlers today. Mighty result

SHEEDY

Quote from: Smurfy123 on November 14, 2020, 07:39:07 PM
Good second half performance last week. That's what is needed tomorrow. I think we will win with a few to spare. Cavan no great shakes.
Expect Kerr and Johnstone to start
We can't not start them
Can't wait for this match
Well done to the hurlers today. Mighty result
don't expect Ryan Johnson or liam kerr to start, one thing about paddy tally is that he very rarely names dummy teams. Expect both to come on in 2nd half when the game opens up.
nil satis nisi optimum