Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

champion1981

Quote from: Johnnysboys on November 08, 2020, 03:49:57 PM
My god can we please get off this Branagan bandwagon.. even the commentators talked about it.. Aidan is nearly 37, Niall is 33, Aaron is 30, Daryl and Eugene are a hood age to play inter county football but that's it.. plus Doherty loses his first 4 balls in the tackle today and PD fails to shine yet again for county - let's be honest kilcoo have Ryan and Jerome ready for first team and Ryan McEvoy with bit of league football next year could step up - I doubt Sheelan will - I remember him with minors few years back - beat Armagh on his own in extra time but other games - attitude was poor..
Big Murdock was solid in full back ably supported by Peter Fegan, McKernan looks rusty - can't understand teams allowing him to be sweeper!! OHagan was very good, O'Hare will be disappointed with being taken off and Jerome in flashes showed what he is capable off..
subs RJ and Cory Quinn kicked good scores. Bench will be important next weekend v Cavan
sad thing is though @37 aidan choc would walk onto that down team! How Poland and flynn make that team is shocking,

Mourne Rover

Donnelly would probably start at midfield if fit, but the Louth game suggested he has some way to go. While Flynn and Poland are seldom going to win much possession in the air, they run themselves into the ground for the team. Down got stronger and stronger as the game progressed today, and our bench should give us a chance in a tight match against Cavan.

5times5times

Let's he honest... Have we really a hope against any of cavan, Armagh or donegal? Each of those sides have settled mfs. We don't.

Johnnysboys

sad thing is though @37 aidan choc would walk onto that down team! How Poland and flynn make that team is shocking,

He cudn do it in his 20s when we aren't exactly world beaters so I doubt he could now..

whitegoodman

Quote from: champion1981 on November 08, 2020, 04:03:38 PM
Quote from: Johnnysboys on November 08, 2020, 03:49:57 PM
My god can we please get off this Branagan bandwagon.. even the commentators talked about it.. Aidan is nearly 37, Niall is 33, Aaron is 30, Daryl and Eugene are a hood age to play inter county football but that's it.. plus Doherty loses his first 4 balls in the tackle today and PD fails to shine yet again for county - let's be honest kilcoo have Ryan and Jerome ready for first team and Ryan McEvoy with bit of league football next year could step up - I doubt Sheelan will - I remember him with minors few years back - beat Armagh on his own in extra time but other games - attitude was poor..
Big Murdock was solid in full back ably supported by Peter Fegan, McKernan looks rusty - can't understand teams allowing him to be sweeper!! OHagan was very good, O'Hare will be disappointed with being taken off and Jerome in flashes showed what he is capable off..
subs RJ and Cory Quinn kicked good scores. Bench will be important next weekend v Cavan

If that isn't a wind up it's one of the most ridiculous statements I have heard in a long time.

Ed Hardy

Noticed Dylan Ward wasnt named on the bench, he injured? Hopefully still involved in the panel, he definitely has something to offer, especially given how badly we struggle in the middle.

whitegoodman

5times5times

Quote from: Ed Hardy on November 08, 2020, 06:06:36 PM
Noticed Dylan Ward wasnt named on the bench, he injured? Hopefully still involved in the panel, he definitely has something to offer, especially given how badly we struggle in the middle.

Maybe he missed his lift? Prob spending his time ringing Paul faloon

Dubh driocht

Hopefully Ward is still involved as Cavan are beatable, would have preferred to face them than Monaghan.
Fermanagh were poor; they have had a difficult preparation and lost key players but Down did well in the second half. Tally got his selection and tactics spot on, as he usually does. Nobody had a bad game and while O'Hagan scored four super points, Mooney was the class act on show. Three critical turnovers in the first half, two great points and a brilliant run for the goal was some return for a man coming back from a fractured skull. While his talent is clear, his reading of the game has improved beyond recognition and Marty Clarke called it right that he thrives when surrounded by good players. He was a worthy captain today in the absence of Darren so well done to all involved.

SHEEDY

Quote from: 5times5times on November 08, 2020, 05:03:24 PM
Let's he honest... Have we really a hope against any of cavan, Armagh or donegal? Each of those sides have settled mfs. We don't.
wise up. It's no secret Donegal and Tyrone are on different level to rest of ulster but on any given day any of the other teams could beat each other. To say down have no hope against cavan is just ridiculous.
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Rover

Tally called it right again today, as Dubh Driocht says, and we need him to come up with a plan which will restrict Cavan's influence at midfield. It's amazing that Paddy Power is quoting Down 4/6 and Cavan 6/4 when it should probably be the other way about, but, if it comes to a tight finish, our bench is capable of making the difference.

thebar

Quote from: 5times5times on November 08, 2020, 06:11:30 PM
Quote from: Ed Hardy on November 08, 2020, 06:06:36 PM

Maybe he missed his lift? Prob spending his time ringing Paul faloon

Are they big mates?

RadioGAAGAA

Some good scores in the second half (and O'Hagans at end of first).

Still massive problems winning primary possession though. Hard to see how we'd survive if someone pushed up on our kickouts for the full 70.
i usse an speelchekor

downjim

A great second half performance yesterday and the subs made a big impact. We need to sort out midfield as this is were Cavan beat Monaghan and their midfield is not bad. I would start Ryan Johnston as he is a better footballer than both midfielders who played yesterday.
Impressed with Fegan , Laverty and Guinness in defence and with Murdock looking solid at 3 there is something to build on there. Up front  we definitely have some classy players who when given room can hurt teams. Interesting use of Kerr and Quinn who are in my opinion in the top 6 forwards in the county but coming on to a tired defence caused a lot of problems and Down were dominant from then on.
The only Branaigan who would get near that team would be Dabs. The gulf between club and county is fierce.
I am hopeful for next week but it will be won with our match ups and line up. Its a massive opportunity to get to an Ulster final . But the pace we possess is frightening and if we can utilize it then we will cause plenty of teams problems.

johnnycool

Quote from: downjim on November 09, 2020, 08:49:22 AM
A great second half performance yesterday and the subs made a big impact. We need to sort out midfield as this is were Cavan beat Monaghan and their midfield is not bad. I would start Ryan Johnston as he is a better footballer than both midfielders who played yesterday.
Impressed with Fegan , Laverty and Guinness in defence and with Murdock looking solid at 3 there is something to build on there. Up front  we definitely have some classy players who when given room can hurt teams. Interesting use of Kerr and Quinn who are in my opinion in the top 6 forwards in the county but coming on to a tired defence caused a lot of problems and Down were dominant from then on.
The only Branaigan who would get near that team would be Dabs. The gulf between club and county is fierce.
I am hopeful for next week but it will be won with our match ups and line up. Its a massive opportunity to get to an Ulster final . But the pace we possess is frightening and if we can utilize it then we will cause plenty of teams problems.

Good win in my limited opinion.

The number 2 looks like a proper defender, able to dispossess an opponent in one on one situations, like hens teeth in the modern game. The forwards can score from distance rather than having to walk it into the 21 yard line first, plenty of pace in and around the middle which is good, but kick outs and high balls into the defence must be a concern as it looks to be a small enough team in general. Breaking the ball down in midfield is okay if you've numbers waiting on it, but in the first half in particular Fermanagh won quite a few of those balls pretty easily.

Down improved immeasurably in the second half, but a lot of the Fermanagh players didn't exactly look like prime athletes but a win is a win and move on to this weekend.