Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Big headlines in the Irish news
This is wrong on so so many levels
Whoever authorised that training session should go and go now
I don't mind about loosing and men trying their best at running this county but to go against GAA guidelines is one thing but to go against a major public health announcement is another
This should not be happening and is downright disgraceful on so many levels
So many rules broken
Mixing
Training
Travelling
Using a school that can't take kids
Seriously Down GAA need to make a statement ASAP and someone has to take responsibility for letting this happen.

snoopdog

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 07, 2021, 09:52:55 AM
Big headlines in the Irish news
This is wrong on so so many levels
Whoever authorised that training session should go and go now
I don't mind about loosing and men trying their best at running this county but to go against GAA guidelines is one thing but to go against a major public health announcement is another
This should not be happening and is downright disgraceful on so many levels
So many rules broken
Mixing
Training
Travelling
Using a school that can't take kids
Seriously Down GAA need to make a statement ASAP and someone has to take responsibility for letting this happen.

It's very worrying that they are prepared to go against the govt and gaa guidelines. They could possibly get a ban here. I think the GAA  are only waiting to use some county as an example.and with police involvement it's not hearsay.  This was on the 5th jan and the gaa made the statement on 5th. What were the guidelines in the North for so called elite sports training? Is there a loophole here somewhere? I assume it was at the abbey? I cant see report on the IN website

Smurfy123

The GAA guidelines were clear a breach in the rules will result in a minimum 8 week ban
I'm flabbergasted our secretary and chairman give the go ahead here
The rules are clear and very clear
Disgusting on so so many levels

Smurfy123

A man who I thought woukd have had better sense the Down chairman was telling blatant lies in the Irish news. It was a full training session. In the current circumstances with are very worrying I find this hard to believe woukd happen. Things are much much worse now than what they were 6 months ago. I would think some Downpatrick people wouldn't be to happy with the chairman's words
I got word on Tuesday evening about 10 about this. The one thing you can be sure of with Down is that nothing and I mean nothing stays within the team. The players can't wait to tell tales. The leaks that come out of that squad is frightening

SamFever

1) Have the players not the b-lls to say NO?
2)Paddy Tally and fellow selectors/Sean Og/Jack Devaney
and indeed the Governors/Headmaster of the Abbey Grammar
should all make a public apology.
Jack Devaney should go further and apologise for his public lies
as there were at least 36 players plus back room team
on site at the Abbey.

Godsown

Think Smutfy is right Sam. The players can't hold their own water. That info is all over SM. Serious questions to be answered by the powers that be.

Gaelforce123

I don't agree with this in the slightest, they had no need to be training when the GAA had only that day made the decision to extend the ban on county training. However, people saying about all the rules they have broken.... the only rule is the GAA rule, in terms of Government guidelines they are allowed to train and play matches the same way that Ulster and Leinster Rugby are they classed as an elite sport however the GAA decided to lead by example and rightly so to extend an internal ban on county training. There is no minimum penalty for teams in breach, any talk of bans for possible breach was never released though maybe it should have been. Training bans have been broken before and no doubt the GAA and down will hope this goes quiet and forgotten about soon, i am sure its a case of they were the ones that got caught as other counties likely doing similar and this will ensure they no longer risk it either. County Board should have shown leadership and made sure this didnt happen

meatsy86

There will be no ban the training did not take place on a GAA owned pitch therefore no sanctions can be handed down by Croke Park.

5times5times

Quote from: meatsy86 on January 08, 2021, 10:15:51 AM
There will be no ban the training did not take place on a GAA owned pitch therefore no sanctions can be handed down by Croke Park.

Did Armagh not get sanctioned for going away to Portugal during a training ban? Doubt there's too many GAA pitches over there?

2nd time in 3 lockdowns where Down GAA have disgraced themselves regarding training sessions when they should have shut up shop.

meatsy86

A bit different in that there was a specific restriction placed on going abroad for training in the month of April to allow county players play for their clubs in the closed month. Law states they can train so why shouldn't they?

Taylor

Quote from: meatsy86 on January 08, 2021, 02:49:15 PM
A bit different in that there was a specific restriction placed on going abroad for training in the month of April to allow county players play for their clubs in the closed month. Law states they can train so why shouldn't they?

That is just daft.

If you are playing GAA you abide by the GAA rules.

Law doesnt say I will get sent off for telling someone to f**k off but if I do it on a field to a referee I should be sent off

manwithnoplan

Serious amount of people try so hard to be offended and outraged these days. They are adults, they assessed their own risks and made a choice. The same way we all should in life. Virtue signaling is the latest trend I suppose. Laws broken? No. 'Guidance' not strictly adhered to? Yes. Let's all move on.

As an aside, any players keen to leak things to their mates or others maybe aren't of the right mentality to complete/contribute in a high level team environment. And as mentioned, they are adults so if they didn't agree with whatever was planned, they can speak up and make their own choice.

Lotto

Quote from: manwithnoplan on January 08, 2021, 04:01:26 PM
Serious amount of people try so hard to be offended and outraged these days. They are adults, they assessed their own risks and made a choice. The same way we all should in life. Virtue signaling is the latest trend I suppose. Laws broken? No. 'Guidance' not strictly adhered to? Yes. Let's all move on.

As an aside, any players keen to leak things to their mates or others maybe aren't of the right mentality to complete/contribute in a high level team environment. And as mentioned, they are adults so if they didn't agree with whatever was planned, they can speak up and make their own choice.

This was not 'guidance'. It was a directive from Croke Park stating in first paragraph in the instruction:
Given the current exceptional rise in infection rates of Covid 19 and the increased risk of community transmission, the GAA has taken the decision that there will be no collective training permitted for inter-county teams for at least the remainder of the month of January.

How exactly do you make this out to be guidance? As for assessing their own risk and making their own choices, the fear that if they didn't attend they could be dropped or playing chances being limited would have been the reason they attended, they would not have said no to Paddy Tally so they had no choice.

Johnnysboys

Who will the front runners be for the vacant minor job?? Surely Poacher has to get it - they didn't get him out of Carlow to train the minors for a year and disappear again??

thewobbler

Of course there's the GAA edict in place, which I accept we all must follow.

But on the other hand, what is it that people want to get so upset about?

We were happy enough for elite status to be placed upon same players in November, thereby allowing them to use changing rooms. And now we don't want them to meet at all?

Furthermore we were all witness to a countrywide GAA success story over the summer, when teams trained and played outside only. It worked. It genuinely worked.

So I can't help but think that if teams are willing to meet strictly outdoors for training in January, and practice social distancing wherever possible, then there's no harm in it. In fact I'd prefer they do that than go running alone on frosty, dark roads. Gyms are closed and as most of them do actually work for a living, it would mean frosty, dark roads.

I don't wish to sound like I'm defending GAA rule breaking. But this isn't a golf gate type scenario. Not even close. It's really not far off a "nothing to see here" story.