Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

I think you will find the average age of the Down team on Sunday was 27

Smurfy123

I'm not saying get rid of any manager. I would like them to come away from the defensive stuff that was played years ago. When Down shoukd have been playing defensive football the were not and now when the game is evolving again we are stuck in what teams were doing 5 years ago. Tally most experienced man for the job but please give us something going forward. 5 points from play in 78 minutes football

OgraAnDun

Playing defensive football when score difference kept us in Div 3 last year after a couple of miracle last gasp 1 points wins is a bit worrying.

ardtole

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 27, 2020, 07:14:55 PM
I'm not saying get rid of any manager. I would like them to come away from the defensive stuff that was played years ago. When Down shoukd have been playing defensive football the were not and now when the game is evolving again we are stuck in what teams were doing 5 years ago. Tally most experienced man for the job but please give us something going forward. 5 points from play in 78 minutes football

I was thinking the same myself over the weekend. When defensive football was at it's most effective, we played into the opposition's hands.

Now when even Donegal and Tyrone, nevermind Dublin and Kerry and by all accounts Galway under Joyce, have found ways to counter the defensive game and are more attacking in their outlook, we again are possibly slow to react.

Could possibly be a bit harsh after just one league game, and we were missing Harrison and Mooney who are huge attacking threats. But in general I hope we are more adventurous and I'd hate to be in Derrys position with Rory Gallagher in charge. The match reports from their opening game was horrific.

Mourne Rover

We created plenty of decent chances yesterday and the fact that we only scored four points from play was down to pretty poor shooting rather than defensive tactics. The dreadful pitch also meant that neither side was likely to run up a big total. It was disappointing that we did not use the extra man to secure the win but we should be judged after a run of league games and not on day one. We will definitely have a better idea about our prospects after the  Derry game.

Ed Hardy

Was Johnny Flynn not fit to start on Sunday? I think currently him and Donnelly probably our strongest midfield partnership. Kerr pushing for a start id imagine this Saturday evening,  any word on Laverty or James Guinness, both still injured?

Team for Saturday

Burns
Fegan
McKernan
McAleenan
Collins
O'Hagan
Annett
Flynn
Donnelly
D Guinness
Quinn
McCabe
Havern
O Hare
Kerr

Truth hurts

With new season fast approaching, any thoughts on year ahead. By all accounts Bryansford and Warrenpoint are training to the max and I expect a good start in the league for them. Division two is going to be a dogfight but experience of Frank Dawson should get the Town back up. Is John Rafferty still managing Downpatrick?

Smurfy123

Ed that's not a bad team and probably our strongest available. Some really good attacking players and a solid defence. I would expect that team to beat Derry. Derry will probably bring a few lads into the team that didn't okay on Saturday night. I think they were missing a few. Harrison on the bench would be good

SamFever

Quote from: hardstation on January 27, 2020, 07:09:49 PM
Not sure what good will come of hounding yet another manager. Down are as good as their players are and at the minute that's weak enough.
HS, Good you got an away win yourselves.

elk

Quote from: Ed Hardy on January 28, 2020, 09:37:28 AM
Was Johnny Flynn not fit to start on Sunday? I think currently him and Donnelly probably our strongest midfield partnership. Kerr pushing for a start id imagine this Saturday evening,  any word on Laverty or James Guinness, both still injured?

Team for Saturday

Burns
Fegan
McKernan
McAleenan
Collins
O'Hagan
Annett
Flynn
Donnelly
D Guinness
Quinn
McCabe
Havern
O Hare
Kerr
Dodgy full back line

Gaelforce123

I am positive about most thinks Red and Black, but McKernan is not our full back. Roasted v Antrim and Tyrone. He will struggle for a starting 15 place but if to get one has to be further out the field as Full back is not it. Johnny Flynn is full of running, but not a midfielder at this level, unfortunately we dont have the players for every position. Donnelly will be strong for midfield, Mooney is a miss. agree Kerr should start

PS Smurfy......  Average age of starting team was 24

Smurfy123

McArdle to go to full back if fit and McKernan on the bench. But he is filling a gap where we are weak so really who else have we to out into full back? Could Flynn do full back and push McCabe to midfield and Poland around the half forward line for his physical attributes

Walt Jabsco

Any dates for the start of the leagues released yet?

Square Ball

Quote from: Walt Jabsco on January 28, 2020, 08:37:34 PM
Any dates for the start of the leagues released yet?
Draft proposals are out, have them in work. Will post the start dates tomorrow if I remember
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

supersub