Guess the Sindo Headline

Started by mylestheslasher, October 14, 2011, 10:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 12, 2013, 09:31:41 AM
Was waiting on some food in a bar yesterday and picked up a copy of the sindo. A front page story... Gerry Adams travelled in a vehicle which had darkened windows, which apparently is a form of transport which is often used by gangsters and drug lords. Yep. Seems Gerry Adams is now even more evil than the sindo have always been telling us. They already have said for years that he is a gangster but now we know he is linked (however tediously) with being a drug Lord.
Clearly the darkened windows are to dim the glow of his halo.
:P

muppet

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 12, 2013, 09:51:57 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on August 12, 2013, 09:31:41 AM
Was waiting on some food in a bar yesterday and picked up a copy of the sindo.
I love how everybody feels the need to explain the circumstances in which they commandeered a copy of the Sindo, but never actually bought it.

It is free in any hotel, brothel or show house.
MWWSI 2017

thewobbler

Quote from: Itchy on April 29, 2021, 08:47:25 PM
https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1387742272171696128?s=08

As shit at maths as they are at journalism

What a bunch of absolute c***ts.

Journalism isn't dying because of social media. It's killing itself.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: thewobbler on April 29, 2021, 10:58:40 PM

Jesus wept! How embarrassing! The comments are worth it though

Main Street

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 29, 2021, 11:08:38 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 29, 2021, 10:58:40 PM

Jesus wept! How embarrassing! The comments are worth it though
Journalists never write the headlines.

Eamonnca1

The buck stops with the editor though

Orior

I once applied for a job as an editor.

In the interview, they asked me why I wanted to be an editor.

I said "Well, to cut a long story short..."
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

north_antrim_hound

Tweet had been deleted, what was the content.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Angelo

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 30, 2021, 09:06:21 AM

Presumably relates to this:

When the likes of Rossfan take their cues from the Indo it explains a lot.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

johnnycool

Quote from: Angelo on April 30, 2021, 09:13:26 AM

Dear god, that can't be true, can it?

Angelo

Quote from: johnnycool on April 30, 2021, 09:38:06 AM
Quote from: Angelo on April 30, 2021, 09:13:26 AM

Dear god, that can't be true, can it?

That's Irish journalism for you.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Louther

Journalism is a dying trade now and good journalism is buried among the trash and click bait headlines aimed to shock and peddle agendas. This is across all borders and topics.

The Daily Mail in UK is poison. Some of the stuff they lead with is shocking. Express not much better and not even mention the Tabloids.

Plenty of guilty parties in Ireland too. The broadsheets all following suit down the line of driven agendas. Then you've the likes of McKenna and others who are moved out of mainstream and they go to extremes and slowly align with the likes of Gript and new media.

Modern journalism nowadays seems to be entry level click bait like joe.ie, ladbible, balls.ie, sportsjoe etc etc. They barely even fact-check their stories and sources. One mans tweet or Instagram post is a full article on loop for 4 days.

One positive in recent times has been the emergence of independent areas like podcasts and blogs. Has been some brilliant ones over the years that are free of the required view that many of traditional media require. Sports in particular has had plenty of offerings in this area with fans creating lots of content and attracting high levels of interest.

Itchy

Quote from: Louther on April 30, 2021, 10:45:50 AM
Journalism is a dying trade now and good journalism is buried among the trash and click bait headlines aimed to shock and peddle agendas. This is across all borders and topics.

The Daily Mail in UK is poison. Some of the stuff they lead with is shocking. Express not much better and not even mention the Tabloids.

Plenty of guilty parties in Ireland too. The broadsheets all following suit down the line of driven agendas. Then you've the likes of McKenna and others who are moved out of mainstream and they go to extremes and slowly align with the likes of Gript and new media.

Modern journalism nowadays seems to be entry level click bait like joe.ie, ladbible, balls.ie, sportsjoe etc etc. They barely even fact-check their stories and sources. One mans tweet or Instagram post is a full article on loop for 4 days.

One positive in recent times has been the emergence of independent areas like podcasts and blogs. Has been some brilliant ones over the years that are free of the required view that many of traditional media require. Sports in particular has had plenty of offerings in this area with fans creating lots of content and attracting high levels of interest.

You forgot to mention editorial line being bought by external forces too.

The sad thing is, within all these broadsheets there is the occasional brilliant journalist. I think Malachy Clerkin and Miriam Lord are very good for example but I could never pay for a paper that is not fair and impartial in its editorial and I say that as someone who has a fully paid subscription in two local papers. The way forward may be to break out sports subscriptions or subscribe to read certain journalists but not others. Like imagine paying for a paper that allows Ruth Dudley Edwards to write bare faces lies every week, imagine your money paying for her bills - no chance?

Louther

Quote from: Itchy on April 30, 2021, 11:16:29 AM
Quote from: Louther on April 30, 2021, 10:45:50 AM

You forgot to mention editorial line being bought by external forces too.

The sad thing is, within all these broadsheets there is the occasional brilliant journalist. I think Malachy Clerkin and Miriam Lord are very good for example but I could never pay for a paper that is not fair and impartial in its editorial and I say that as someone who has a fully paid subscription in two local papers. The way forward may be to break out sports subscriptions or subscribe to read certain journalists but not others. Like imagine paying for a paper that allows Ruth Dudley Edwards to write bare faces lies every week, imagine your money paying for her bills - no chance?

Very true. Agendas are often facilitated through shady deals, ownership alliance and good old straight forward payment!

Over the years sports have tried to go out on their own but can't think of many papers making it in Ireland or UK that have been solely sports based - Gaelic Life only one that has lasted to its credit. On continent it's a big part of the print media. The Athletic has some very good stuff but is purely online and came from USA.