Podcasts

Started by Soup an Samajiz, November 06, 2015, 09:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

Quote from: Snapchap on May 01, 2024, 11:44:40 AMOK I really like the gaa social podcast, but can someone please have a word in Tommy Niblock's ear and tell him to tone it down on the self praise for the podcast ffs lol

Prompted by his most recent tweet today, here's more his tweets introducing entirely different episodes in just the past year or so:

• "Some will say this is the best podcast we've created. Considering the powerful people we've had, I appreciate that's big speak."
  • "This podcast has everything. Beyond powerful"
  • "This is the story of Frank McGuigan. It is among the most powerful podcasts we've ever recorded."
  • "Tristan our videographer, turned to me after recording and said "I don't think there's many we've done as powerful". I think he's right."
  • "It's probably our most powerful podcast yet."
  • "In perhaps the most powerful episode of the GAA Social, former Armagh manager Brian Canavan talks about the 1998 killings of Damien Trainor & Phillip Allen in his Bar. "
  • "Probably the most powerful episode of the GAA Social we've ever recorded. Armagh Gaelic footballer Aoife Lennon & her remarkable story.
  • "This is the most powerful podcast yet. Richie Power has won 12 inter-county All-Ireland's with ⁦@KilkennyCLG - a hurling icon."

And while you're at it, tell him to stop asking every guest if they listen to this podcast and to stop telling us each week how phenominal the rsponse has been to the previus week's episode.

All that aside, it's still, unquestionably, the no 1 GAA podcast by some distance!

Yeah 100%, I really like the podcast but I find Niblock incredibly smarmy.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Truthsayer

Quote from: Saffrongael on May 01, 2024, 12:12:13 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on May 01, 2024, 11:44:40 AMOK I really like the gaa social podcast, but can someone please have a word in Tommy Niblock's ear and tell him to tone it down on the self praise for the podcast ffs lol

Prompted by his most recent tweet today, here's more his tweets introducing entirely different episodes in just the past year or so:

• "Some will say this is the best podcast we've created. Considering the powerful people we've had, I appreciate that's big speak."
  • "This podcast has everything. Beyond powerful"
  • "This is the story of Frank McGuigan. It is among the most powerful podcasts we've ever recorded."
  • "Tristan our videographer, turned to me after recording and said "I don't think there's many we've done as powerful". I think he's right."
  • "It's probably our most powerful podcast yet."
  • "In perhaps the most powerful episode of the GAA Social, former Armagh manager Brian Canavan talks about the 1998 killings of Damien Trainor & Phillip Allen in his Bar. "
  • "Probably the most powerful episode of the GAA Social we've ever recorded. Armagh Gaelic footballer Aoife Lennon & her remarkable story.
  • "This is the most powerful podcast yet. Richie Power has won 12 inter-county All-Ireland's with ⁦@KilkennyCLG - a hurling icon."

And while you're at it, tell him to stop asking every guest if they listen to this podcast and to stop telling us each week how phenominal the rsponse has been to the previus week's episode.

All that aside, it's still, unquestionably, the no 1 GAA podcast by some distance!

Yeah 100%, I really like the podcast but I find Niblock incredibly smarmy.
Had the same thought... is constant... "this week is our most powerful yet..." kinda of diminishes saying that for previous ones. Tho some have been very good.

J70

To me, Niblock is not praising his own work per se, more the individual they're interviewing and their story.

Each to their own. I find him a superb interviewer and the people they showcase almost always with an interesting story to tell.

Armagh18

They can't all be the most powerful yet. But absolutely love the interviews, Margaret McConville, Frank McGuigan, Hinphey last week and Seamus Kennedy from Tipp speaking about Dillon Quirke were all serious listens.

Snapchap

The interviews are top class, and Niblock is a fine interviewer, but he does need to tone it down on the superlatives.

Claims that a podcast is "the most powerful one yet" do tend to become a bit meaningless when the same claim is made on an almost weekly basis, and when, as I say, each episode seems to have it's own dedicated section for talking about how "phenominal the response has been to last weeks episode".

Milltown Row2

Do you pay for these?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Free on Apple pods like other BBC productions

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2024, 02:20:16 PMDo you pay for these?

No, but you get to listen to excellent content, say it is excellent and then get a good moan about, all for nuthin! A bargain  ;D

quit yo jibbajabba

I don't even listen Jog, but still moan 🤣🤣

Intend more times than enough to tip in. I then hear this is the best one yet, then soon after no this is the best one yet. I don't know which to listen to then, so don't 😆😆

Armagh18

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 01, 2024, 02:44:42 PMI don't even listen Jog, but still moan 🤣🤣

Intend more times than enough to tip in. I then hear this is the best one yet, then soon after no this is the best one yet. I don't know which to listen to then, so don't 😆😆
:o

Seriously though it's well worth a listen.

Snapchap

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2024, 02:20:16 PMDo you pay for these?

Well I suppose the presenter does get his pay packet from my licence fee but in any case, what does it matter whether or not it has to be paid for? I often have positive and/or negative opinions about things I don't pay for. I think most people do. I'd go as far as to say most of the podcasts discussed in this thread are free, so was it ok to talk about those ones? Or do we have to live in a world where we can't express opinions on media output unless the opinions are about paid content?

All besides the point. I've repeatedly said the podcast, and its host, are top drawer. I was merely stating that his constant attempts to crown each episode as "the most powerful yet" are a bit daft. But chill. I'm not calling for his head to roll over it.

Sportacus

Quote from: Snapchap on May 01, 2024, 01:37:51 PMThe interviews are top class, and Niblock is a fine interviewer, but he does need to tone it down on the superlatives.

Claims that a podcast is "the most powerful one yet" do tend to become a bit meaningless when the same claim is made on an almost weekly basis, and when, as I say, each episode seems to have it's own dedicated section for talking about how "phenominal the response has been to last weeks episode".
I'm ok until he says "Tyroo-ann", and then I switch it off!

lurganblue

It is powerful stuff though

quit yo jibbajabba

Hampshey
Phenomenal
Most powerful one yet

That's me done. For now

Truthsayer

I don't think he's praising himself either but trying to draw people to listen to the next podcast. There have been excellent ones and indeed powerful but to constantly say this is most powerful yet becomes a bit meaningless and kind of diminishes previous ones.