Started by general_lee, September 26, 2023, 11:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Quote from: WT4E on November 27, 2023, 11:38:31 PM
Quote from: intheknowhow on November 27, 2023, 09:03:34 AM
Quote from: WT4E on November 26, 2023, 10:53:05 PMNo foul for me

Well you are from Tyrone ...

Probably live closer to Scotstown than Trillick. Lol

Just checked 33 mile from both clubs..... couldn't be more neutral.

seafoid

Quote from: tbrick18 on November 27, 2023, 10:21:34 AMUnfortunately I didnt get to see the Trillick v Scotstown match but by all accounts it was a very good game.
I had a feeling Trillick would win it and had the potential to win Ulster under the radar, but not to be.

Glen probably deserved to win the first SF, that point at the end to win it was worth it alone.
I still think they are not playing as well as last year, but perhaps that will come yet. Glass has been underwhelming, but that's not to say he's playing badly, just doesn't seem to be hitting the same highs as last year.
I dont think that was a penalty tbh, and had it not been given Glen probably ran out comfortable enough winners. Hurson had a reasonably good game, though I though he was a little harsh on Glen in general, but for me he got the penalty wrong.

Glen and Scotstown will be an interesting game. Glen perhaps slight favourites, but not much between them. Scotstown keeper play could be the difference in the two teams.
Wattys may be pacing themselves. It's tournament football. They want to be ready for the final. They know how it works.

Gold

Quote from: seafoid on November 28, 2023, 10:46:06 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on November 27, 2023, 10:21:34 AMUnfortunately I didnt get to see the Trillick v Scotstown match but by all accounts it was a very good game.
I had a feeling Trillick would win it and had the potential to win Ulster under the radar, but not to be.

Glen probably deserved to win the first SF, that point at the end to win it was worth it alone.
I still think they are not playing as well as last year, but perhaps that will come yet. Glass has been underwhelming, but that's not to say he's playing badly, just doesn't seem to be hitting the same highs as last year.
I dont think that was a penalty tbh, and had it not been given Glen probably ran out comfortable enough winners. Hurson had a reasonably good game, though I though he was a little harsh on Glen in general, but for me he got the penalty wrong.

Glen and Scotstown will be an interesting game. Glen perhaps slight favourites, but not much between them. Scotstown keeper play could be the difference in the two teams.
Wattys may be pacing themselves. It's tournament football. They want to be ready for the final. They know how it works.

Precisely.

Although if the Glenties man held that last kick out and didnt cough it up to Glass (and then the winning point went over 5 secs later) it could be they in the final, not Glen.

Glen 'could' say get a few goals, get a run on Scotstown and win by 10. We'd all then be saying how they'd done well managing the earlier rounds and timed their peak at the right time. Scotstown could also get a run on Glen. It's Sport and over analysed. I remember a line ball in a game given the wrong way in a semi final that changed the game. There's so little in it.

In saying all that though Kilmacud are simply the team to beat. With the refs giving them penalties for fouls well outside the box when things get tight i Cant see them being stopped unless by a lucky drop in mad goal again or something like a few years ago

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

tintin25

Quote from: Gold on November 28, 2023, 11:11:24 AM

Precisely.

Although if the Glenties man held that last kick out and didnt cough it up to Glass (and then the winning point went over 5 secs later) it could be they in the final, not Glen.

Glen 'could' say get a few goals, get a run on Scotstown and win by 10. We'd all then be saying how they'd done well managing the earlier rounds and timed their peak at the right time. Scotstown could also get a run on Glen. It's Sport and over analysed. I remember a line ball in a game given the wrong way in a semi final that changed the game. There's so little in it.

In saying all that though Kilmacud are simply the team to beat. With the refs giving them penalties for fouls well outside the box when things get tight i Cant see them being stopped unless by a lucky drop in mad goal again or something like a few years ago

Never got this idea how teams could pace themselves for certain matches.  As you say, they could have been easily beat.  They hardly 'paced' themselves to come through by a point.  Some teams do however kick on and get that momentum after a couple of matches.

twohands!!!

Quote from: tintin25 on November 28, 2023, 03:08:43 PM

Precisely.

Never got this idea how teams could pace themselves for certain matches.  As you say, they could have been easily beat.  They hardly 'paced' themselves to come through by a point.  Some teams do however kick on and get that momentum after a couple of matches.

Yeah - unless there is a massive gap in standards with the opposition (which you're very unlikely to get in most provincial games) I think an entire team trying to pace over a course of games is extremely difficult, if not impossible.

brokencrossbar1

It's not pacing themselves in games,  it's 'pacing' the training they are doing to have them peaking enough. We used to do it all the time. Glen have another gear or 2 in them but it's a dangerous game sometimes as sometimes a team can get a run on you and the gear change doesn't always kick in

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tintin25 on November 28, 2023, 03:08:43 PM

Precisely.

It happens, when you are dominant within your county you can, it's about peaking for the latter stages
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Captain Obvious

Quote from: marty34 on November 27, 2023, 11:15:15 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 27, 2023, 07:58:55 PMSenior Football Final 10th December
Glen v Scotstown
Athletic Grounds 4pm

Probably on TG4 if on at 4pm.

More than likely. Munster football final also on that day and will probably get the 2pm TG4 coverage.

Armagh18

Likes of Kilcoo and Cross at their best years ago definitely would be looking to hit top form/fitness for the provincials because they walk through their county.

Wildweasel74

I just think they playing poor, even to what I seen them, before the county men came back. I am expecting Scotstown to beat them unless there a 70% improvement, May depend on J Doherty back and Tallom actually scoring.Suprised O'Rourke hasn't done positional change to strengthen the forwards.

ranch

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 28, 2023, 08:46:10 PMLikes of Kilcoo and Cross at their best years ago definitely would be looking to hit top form/fitness for the provincials because they walk through their county.

Possibly, but the fact it was straight knock out for years in Armagh probably took away any complacency for Cross. But i did always wonder did winning the championship mean as much to them as it would another club, as it was just a stepping stone to competing in Ulster?
Around the 2001-2007 period Dromintee were incredibly strong in Armagh and Pearse Og were also improving a lot around then so I'd imagine when they were drawn to play those sides the level of intensity at training would have picked up for Cross.
I recall Pearse Og drawing with them (I think it was played in Keady) on one occasion, Dromintee always seemed to get close to them but would be left to rue missed chances, and Killeavy drew with them in Carrickcruppen in a great game one year.
Maybe another poster can correct me on this or confirm, but wasn't it the case that the only side to beat Dromintee in the championship between 2001-08 was Cross? Very unfortunate for them that their best ever side coincided with Cross being such a force.

intheknowhow

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 28, 2023, 08:46:10 PMLikes of Kilcoo and Cross at their best years ago definitely would be looking to hit top form/fitness for the provincials because they walk through their county.

No offence but cross wouldn't have had the top end coaches and s and c to be tapering and peaking. They just went out and played

Armagh18

Theres Cross lads that' tell you most years they barely trained for most of the league lol they certainly wanted to peak for the championship

intheknowhow

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 29, 2023, 10:56:40 AMTheres Cross lads that' tell you most years they barely trained for most of the league lol they certainly wanted to peak for the championship

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/former-gaa-star-faces-trial-over-12m-in-criminal-assets/a979772697.html

Too busy with crime....

Honestly, what is it about there? Can no one do a honest days work..

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ranch on November 29, 2023, 02:31:19 AM

Possibly, but the fact it was straight knock out for years in Armagh probably took away any complacency for Cross. But i did always wonder did winning the championship mean as much to them as it would another club, as it was just a stepping stone to competing in Ulster?
Around the 2001-2007 period Dromintee were incredibly strong in Armagh and Pearse Og were also improving a lot around then so I'd imagine when they were drawn to play those sides the level of intensity at training would have picked up for Cross.
I recall Pearse Og drawing with them (I think it was played in Keady) on one occasion, Dromintee always seemed to get close to them but would be left to rue missed chances, and Killeavy drew with them in Carrickcruppen in a great game one year.
Maybe another poster can correct me on this or confirm, but wasn't it the case that the only side to beat Dromintee in the championship between 2001-08 was Cross? Very unfortunate for them that their best ever side coincided with Cross being such a force.

I think you're right about 2001 to 2008. We definitely beat them in 4 finals and I recall beating them in 2 semis I think it was. They invested an awful lot in management during that period,  not being funny, and had some of the top club managers on the scene. McIvor from Derry, John Rafferty, few others. I recall a few testy post match manager's 'well done's',  one in particular. Dromintee were very unfortunate,  they would have won Ulster if it hadn't been for the fact they were against us.

The Armagh championship in those days was horrendous for us. Straight knock out,  Dromintee, Mullaghbawn in the early days, Clans, Pearse Ogs, and Armagh Harps were all strong teams. How we won 13 in a row I'll never know