Colm Parkinson/The GAA Hour

Started by gallsman, November 09, 2020, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Brendan Devenney's podcast is decent, albeit obviously very Donegal-centric.

If your county is playing Donegal though, he'll have someone on to chat from there.

Last few weeks he's had Peter Canavan, Paul Finlay, Joe McMahon and John Casey.

Think he'd Wooly on about a month ago to push HIS podcast! I'm guessing Wooly did the same for Devenney at some  point.

Tubberman

ah yeah, wooly was on the mayo-focused Ah Ref podcast as well. Doing the rounds I'd say.
Ah Ref is v good for Mayo talk, don't take themselves too seriously, more like a conversation you'd have over a few pints, but with people who actually have a notion what they're talking about.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

twohands!!!

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 25, 2022, 06:41:25 PM

Played a decade with Laois seniors, was part of the panel that won the Leinster title in 2003. Won Leinster U21 title in 1998 and Minor All-Ireland in 1996.

Quote from: ardtole on March 25, 2022, 06:46:55 PM
He played under Mick O'Dwyer as well.

Ah lads - it's clear rosnarun was taking the piss given how frequently Parkinson mentions his time with Laois and time under Micko.

I laughed at your comment rosnarun.

rosnarun

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 25, 2022, 08:15:28 PM

Played a decade with Laois seniors, was part of the panel that won the Leinster title in 2003. Won Leinster U21 title in 1998 and Minor All-Ireland in 1996.

thats all right , i forget how you some of these lads are
anyway I think ,micko had him convinced he was the best player he ever coached .

Ah lads - it's clear rosnarun was taking the piss given how frequently Parkinson mentions his time with Laois and time under Micko.

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

toby47

I can't have Wooly at all, find him very unlikeable although I still listen to his Podcasts. Digs so deep to find negatives and is a moaning wee hoore.

I quite like James O'Donoghue on 'The Football Pod' He's good craic and quite insightful. Paddy Andrews is OK too, but a bit too slabbery at times, i'd say by the end of a night out with him you'd be happy to get home.

I also like Eamon McGee on the GAA hour. Usually not scared to shy away from a controversial opinion and calls a spade a spade. Finian Hanley is good aswell although Darren O'Sullivan must be one of the most boring people ever and nearly makes it boring to listen to.

Thomas Niblock & McConville are good on the GAA social, i like the angle of the Podcast where they quiz a certain individual and dig deep.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 25, 2022, 08:15:28 PM

Just catching up on the last couple of pages here and wanted to see if I was the only one who spotted that!  ;D

I enjoy Wooly's podcasts. He has some great guests and they get right into the nitty gritty. He is not from one of the challenging counties so there is no bias. Most of the big voices in the media have potential for an ulterior motive so you always have to read between the lines.

The thing is, I disagree with Parkinson as often as I agree with him, but that's the point. He has opinions and there are valid reasons for most of them. When he has a dislike for someone, he comes out and says it so you can factor that in when listening!
Agree though, that he has used up his store of stories from his playing days (eg the story about the physio treating a tear as a cramp and making it worse. I've heard that 5 times) so he needs to focus more on anecdotes from other people to make it relevant to recent players.
Find it hard to listen to Ger Brennan at times. He seems to just repeat the question back with a lot more words, uses a lot of generalisms and quite often loses himself in the middle of sentences. I often zone out and forget what the question was. He seems like a nice lad, but it feels like he is concentrating too much on formal wording instead of just saying what he means. Aaron Kernan and Cian Ward are the opposite - just say what they mean in plain speak - and are v insightful
Hasta la victoria siempre

JimStynes

I love Wooly's podcast. He isn't everyone's cup of tea and he makes a lot of silly calls but that's all part of it. I don't listen to agree with everything he says. He has some good guests and some of the segments are quite funny. Oisin and Thomas Niblock have a good podcast and seem to work well with each other. The GAA hour is still finding its feet however I think it'll come good when the lads find their feet. They're insightful and obviously have a lot of experience with the current game.

Keyser soze

Quote from: laoislad on March 25, 2022, 01:55:59 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 25, 2022, 11:17:05 AM
Some of the BBC GAA Social podcasts are very good. Niblock and McConville have guests on and let them do the talking. Laverty's after the Kilcoo win was as good an hour of a podcast as I've ever listened to.

Notable others were Rory Gallagher and Shane McGuigan.

I just can't have Wooly at all.
Nordie man prefers Nordie content shocker!!!

Laois shittalker defends Laois shittalker shocker!!!

Snapchap

What grates with me about Wooly's show (at least when he was with The GAA Hour) is that he always had guests who agreed with every word he said on any topic. There never was any sort of two sided debate to be had on anything.

I recall when the debate was raging about the upcoming vote on championship restructuring a while back, and when everyone was pushing 'Proposal B' Cahair O'Kane was a guest on Off the Ball, and he was actually arguing against the ratification of Proposal B - saying that as a proposal, it was 'almost' spot on but that we shouldn't settle for 'almost' and that it will be generations before it will ever be revisited, so it needs to be done right. He made a great argument, and the debate between him and the presenter who was in favour of Proposal B was properly interesting. It was a proper delve into the pros and cons of Proposal B.

Then I listened to The GAA Hour. Wooly went on one of his lengthy rants about how stupid it would be to not back Proposal B, then threw out a few personal digs at people who were opposing it, then he brought on his guest Conor Henehan and the two of them spent the guts of a half hour or more agreeing with eachother and making the same points. No debate whatsoever. It was just tedious stuff.

Haven't listened to his new show, because I can't imagine it being any different.

Louther

Don't listen to Parkinson, use to enjoy it but, as some as said, he ended up him just repeating same stories and opinions and the guests agreeing. He certainly has cast himself as been edgy and out there and plays that game. Can be very petty at times - slating other reporters, RTE coverage, refs, admin etc without ever having to do anything about it. His new subscribers seem to be onboard so more power to him and he has an audience

The examiner Podcast is very good. Good range of views and bit more substance to it. Puts a bit of meat to a story and develops it rather than just going off a newspaper report.

GAA social has been a great listen this year. Not purely a preview/review type show but a  interview with interesting characters and not afraid to let them talk and then dig a bit. Looking forward to listening to Mulroy this week. They don't just go after the big names but those with a story to tell.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Louther on March 30, 2022, 11:41:16 AM
Don't listen to Parkinson, use to enjoy it but, as some as said, he ended up him just repeating same stories and opinions and the guests agreeing. He certainly has cast himself as been edgy and out there and plays that game. Can be very petty at times - slating other reporters, RTE coverage, refs, admin etc without ever having to do anything about it. His new subscribers seem to be onboard so more power to him and he has an audience

The examiner Podcast is very good. Good range of views and bit more substance to it. Puts a bit of meat to a story and develops it rather than just going off a newspaper report.

GAA social has been a great listen this year. Not purely a preview/review type show but a  interview with interesting characters and not afraid to let them talk and then dig a bit. Looking forward to listening to Mulroy this week. They don't just go after the big names but those with a story to tell.

GAA social best by a mile.

imtommygunn

Yeah that is a big thing - they let them talk.

5times5times

Your one McGee is some pup. Crying about Armagh and demanding suspensions before cship game in April.. James O'D also spilled on his podcast that McGee snapped a Kerry players finger out of place during a league game.

Not the brightest pair of brothers all the same.

omagh_gael

Wooly and the GAA social are the top pods for me. The football pod with Tommy Rooney was excellent when Andy Moran was on it, it was worth putting up with Paddy Andrews to listen to Andy.

full moon

Quote from: 5times5times on March 30, 2022, 12:31:37 PM
Your one McGee is some pup. Crying about Armagh and demanding suspensions before cship game in April.. James O'D also spilled on his podcast that McGee snapped a Kerry players finger out of place during a league game.

Not the brightest pair of brothers all the same.
Can't stand McGee, was a very dirty player yet acts holier than tho and often tweeting rubbish.

Has a serious hatred for Cavan, I don't know why or what from. It was long before we upset Donegal in the Ulster final.  Even his new podcast started off with him mocking Cavan for being in Division 4 and other rubbish. We are a small enough county, what's his problem?