What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 10, 2011, 11:57:04 AM
I'm very tempted to take the plunge for 3D but was waiting for the price to come down,999e is excellent for the package you got and I wouldn't mind having Samsung even though I am a Sony fan.
I have a feeling my current TV might have a little accident in the near future...

The way I looked at it was I didn't have a Blu Ray player of any description, and my TV was 9 years old 32'' widescreen, not Plasma or anything, and definitely not HD. So I was going to buy a full HD and when I looked at the deal I reckoned I'd probably be getting the 3D for €150 or so when compared to a Full HD TV without a Blu Ray player.

I like the 3D, and have seen it, so I said I'd go for the 3D on the basis that it was a decent deal and 3D is definitely getting used on Sky HD. Sure worst case scenario is I paid too much for a full HD TV :)

omagh_gael

Sounds like a great bit of kit there AZ!

I bought this yesterday after a bit of shopping around, nothing fancy but it's my first TV so wasn't going to go overboard as i'm moving into my own place on Friday and money is getting tight. Does anyone know if it's a half decent machine? I got it for £280 inc delivery and same TV in local electrical store was £369.

http://www.bhsdirect.co.uk/BH_LG_TVs___LCD_20012903/version.asp 

AZOffaly

Ara there was better there. I'd have liked an LED, but there is a recession on after all :) It'll do me though, and I'm happy with it so far. Can't wait for the Sky HD to really see how good or bad it is.

Bogball XV

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 10, 2011, 11:57:04 AM
I'm very tempted to take the plunge for 3D but was waiting for the price to come down,999e is excellent for the package you got and I wouldn't mind having Samsung even though I am a Sony fan.
I have a feeling my current TV might have a little accident in the near future...
would it not make more sense to wait a few years?  There's very little content out there at the minute and surely the whole set-up will advance significantly over the next year or so?  Not to mention the inevitable decreases in price.

isourboydownyet

Quote from: omagh_gael on January 10, 2011, 12:03:53 PM

I bought this yesterday after a bit of shopping around, nothing fancy but it's my first TV so wasn't going to go overboard as i'm moving into my own place on Friday and money is getting tight. Does anyone know if it's a half decent machine? I got it for £280 inc delivery and same TV in local electrical store was £369.

a decent set omagh,best of the entry models out there

screenexile

Looking for a wee cheap TV about £100 odd ideally with HD and freeview. . . will I be able to do it for that  price or does anyone have any any ideas where I should go??!!

omagh_gael

Quote from: isourboydownyet on January 10, 2011, 01:11:09 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on January 10, 2011, 12:03:53 PM

a decent set omagh,best of the entry models out there

Cheers.

armaghniac

My mid 90s tv is showing increasing signs of demise, so I thought I'd invest in a slim new model (might do the same with the other half).
I have in mind a 37" model with LED backlighting.

However this caught my eye (40" actually cheaper than 37") €639 Powercity.
SAMSUNG 40" 50HZ LED FULL HD UE40C5100:

any observations welcome.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lurganblue

I too am in the market for a new tv as I'm currently getting an extension done that will include another sitting room. Something around the 42" mark and obviously HD. Trying to talk the other half into 3d but it's not happening yet... Any good deals knocking around?

bigfrank

Anyone buy anything lately that was impressive..in the market for maybe a 37/40 tv to mount on my bedroom wall..hope to use it for playing playstation a fair bit so on look out for something suitable...any help be great

take_yer_points

Quote from: bigfrank on February 03, 2011, 08:15:45 PM
Anyone buy anything lately that was impressive..in the market for maybe a 37/40 tv to mount on my bedroom wall..hope to use it for playing playstation a fair bit so on look out for something suitable...any help be great

I bought this one just after Christmas...

http://uk.insight.com/en-gb/productinfo/lcd-tvs-and-displays/SOKDL2200C

Couldn't be happier with it. Can plug in the ethernet cable from the router and watch iPlayer, YouTube, etc... on it as well - very good.

AZOffaly

I bought a Samsung 3D LCD 40'', and I am very happy with it. Picture is class, and while it's not LED, it's more than good enough for me.

hectorsheroes

Panasonic or pioneer - best by miles - always top of the Which* ratings as well

Erne Gael

Hello

I am currently on the look out for a a new TV. I have an LG 32" in the Living Room which I am going to put in the sunroom as the TV in there is a 21 inch and its picture recently is poor.

I want to buy a 40" tv for the living room now. I have my eye on SAMSUNG LE40C530 40 inch LCD TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview.

Would anyone have any other recommendations on any other brands?

Also has anyone ever dealt with http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/samsung/le40c530/sams-le40c530
They seem very reasonably priced and with a 5 year guarantee for £35 extra.

David McKeown

Richer are a great group of guys and are really knowledgeable, I would constantly use them for all my av stuff (to the point where I am now on first name terms with everyone in the store) but they like me are not big fans of the Samsung tv's, the Sony KDL 503 range seem to be winning all the plaudits at the minute but it really depends on your situation what tv is best for you.  I would go have a chat with them if I were you.  I would try to avoid Currys etc as they really try to push older models or lower speced models to drive sales
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner