General question on the South - is proof of vaccination required to enter hotels

Started by nrico2006, August 04, 2021, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: BennyCake on August 04, 2021, 09:56:19 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 04, 2021, 09:13:16 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 04, 2021, 08:25:32 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 04, 2021, 07:53:17 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 04, 2021, 07:26:31 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 04, 2021, 06:27:19 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 04, 2021, 06:18:08 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 04, 2021, 04:08:22 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 04, 2021, 03:33:48 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 04, 2021, 03:22:10 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 04, 2021, 02:58:06 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 04, 2021, 01:14:44 PM
Alternatively get the vaccine and not worry

What if those vaccinated get the virus again? They'll still be allowed indoors no questions asked as long as they have a vaccine certificate. Can anyone be certain people will do the right thing and stay away, while knowing they have the virus?

It's about the balance of risk. Current evidence points to a lower viral load for vaccinated people. Lower risk. It's not eliminated but it's lower. Plus if they are vaccinated as shown by current hospital figures the risk of them being a drain on the NHS if they do catch Covid is significantly lower.

Maybe so. But an unvaccinated customer without covid, is still less risk than a vaccinated customer with covid.

You could be in a pub with 50 other people, with everyone of them knowing they have covid or symptoms, but they just don't bother to declare it. They only care they have a certificate that entitles them to drink/eat indoors. That's the reality.
True but the unvaccinated person is just as likely to have Covid as the vaccinated. And is more likely to do damage to him/her self and others.
I know you want to normalise not getting the vaccine but it won't work. Look at the hospitalised figures and you'll see the damage the people who are unvaccinated are causing.

Yes, but take the AI final. Say Mayo (not picking on Mayo btw)  fans want to watch the match in a pub, but can only do so if they have a certificate. Let's say a few have symptoms or tested positive, and think f**k it!, I'm still going for the craic. I'm not watching us potentially win the AI stuck in the spare room. That's where we're heading with this nonsense.

I'm not normalising not getting the vaccine. I'm looking at the bigger picture here. I could understand if these passports were a temporary measure until the vaccine rollout was complete. But you can bet your ass it won't be going away. So why will these passports still be mandatory even if every single person in the country gets jabbed? I don't think it's right that anyone is walking around like a barcode on a tin of beans, being scanned/tracked everywhere they go

I said this was coming over a year ago (I've heard about the plans for it maybe 10-12 years ago), and I didn't like it then. I sure as hell don't like it now.
There's no stopping someone if they are going to do that, but I don't honestly believe many will have that attitude. But at least if they have the vaccine, we'll have restricted their impact.

If everyone has the vaccine, then there would be no need for the passport. But that's not going to happen so the passport is required for the foreseeable. I have no idea about your barcode comment, just smacks of paranoia. No one wants to get the vaccine for the craic of it. It's a necessity given the unvaccinated are exasperating the problem with the NHS.

Yes you're right. Country 100% jabbed, no need for passports. But do you really think they'll go away? This is about more than covid passports. This is a digital ID card.

As for the bar code, that's effectively what your digital passport will be. Each shop, pub, gym, cinema etc you enter, your digital footprint is left. Every move tracked. Are you comfortable with that? Because that's just the tip of the iceberg. Once they adapt this covid passport, there's no way back. Laws such as these are never repealed. But I suppose it is for the good of society  ::)

I'll be honest and say I think that is complete paranoid sh!te. People clinging to an excuse that's in their head to justify why they won't get the vaccine. And I think people peddling this crap would want to have a word with themselves if they are using this as some sort of justification as to why they aren't getting the vaccine.

Have you actually seen me saying I won't be getting/haven't got the vaccine?

As I said, as a temporary measure until the rollout is complete, I can sort of understand. But it's not going to be that way. You have to ask yourself...... why the need for passports continuing after everyone is vaccinated?

I said it over a year ago these passports were coming, and here we are. Try to remember this discussion in a year or two. It mightn't sound like "paranoid shite" then.

I don't know if your getting it or not. I just know the stance your taking on this thread. Have you been vaccinated?

Everyone won't be vaccinated. Hence the need for the passport. Temporary/ long term doesn't matter. If it's required to help get things back to normal then I don't care.

You mentioned it a year ago and It sounded like paranoid shite then, a year has passed and it still sounds like paranoid shite. I'm fairly confident it'll sound like paranoid shite in 1, 3, 10 years time.

That's interesting, that you think the passport will help things get back to normal. How is having your whereabouts scanned every farts end, normal?

If me, you, Tom Dick Harry and everyone else is vaccinated, then as you say, the risk of infection/transmission is lower. So why can't we all just go to the pub as normal if we're all at a lower risk? And our possible transmission of the virus is at a lower level. THAT would be 'back to normal'.
Firstly your phone provides more data than any vaccine passport. Secondly who do you think gives a f**k about your whereabouts. Maybe the passport is just a way of trying to contain Covid. Maybe there is no bigger plan other than that.

Me, and Tom might be vaccinated but Dick isn't. And that's the problem. Why do you not get this? Everyone isn't vaccinated. And those that aren't are putting a higher strain onto the health service. There's about 16% not vaccinated. And that 16% is accounting for between 60-70% of hospitalisations. There's no hiding from that stat. So until Dick and his mates gets vaccinated we will continue to need vaccine passports to try and protect these people from themselves.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

BennyCake

I know everyone isn't vaccinated. I was talking about when everyone is vaccinated. If the vaccine lowers transmission and affect of covid, then why not abandon passports and let everyone into the pub?

trueblue1234

Quote from: BennyCake on August 04, 2021, 10:31:53 PM
I know everyone isn't vaccinated. I was talking about when everyone is vaccinated. If the vaccine lowers transmission and affect of covid, then why not abandon passports and let everyone into the pub?
Happy to have that discussion once everyone is vaccinated. Until then we just need to try and push as many Dicks as possible to get vaccinated.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

screenexile

Quote from: Rois on August 04, 2021, 02:28:45 PM
You all know it is possible to get the cert, even if not flying?

Maybe not in the spirit of it, i.e they would prefer not to flood the system, but it is possible.

Is it Rois? I tried early last week and got so far for the form to ask me for my travel details flight no. Etc so left it and haven't tried since.

Would you just put in dummy info and work away then??

Nailer

When you get to the section that asks for flight details, leave it blank and move on as it allows you to do this. Also, although the site advises not to apply for a cert unless you are taking a foreign flight, ignore this too, in the Destination box, scroll down to Republic of Ireland and insert this if you are going South. The Cert should be available  within a couple of hours of completing the application, I had to apply twice to get mine, second time I had it within an hour.

Armagh18

Quote from: Nailer on August 05, 2021, 04:49:03 AM
When you get to the section that asks for flight details, leave it blank and move on as it allows you to do this. Also, although the site advises not to apply for a cert unless you are taking a foreign flight, ignore this too, in the Destination box, scroll down to Republic of Ireland and insert this if you are going South. The Cert should be available  within a couple of hours of completing the application, I had to apply twice to get mine, second time I had it within an hour.
Is this for people from the north? Have you the link/app name for this?

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 04, 2021, 09:19:17 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on August 04, 2021, 09:15:49 PM
Lads anyone know how you show proof of vaccination (jabbed in the North) if you are flying abroad? Is the app up and running yet? And is that shitty little vaccination card acceptable if you want to eat or drink indoors in the south?

They said the shitty little card with ID is acceptable, when getting the jab they told you to keep it safe, keep the shit off it and it's fine
Aye I have that. Don't think it'll be accepted when flying will it?

Rois

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 05, 2021, 07:29:16 AM
COVIDCert NI

You can then scan the QR code onto the app for the south so it looks like the European Vaccine Cert, though I can't see that it will work if scanned in the south. Haven't heard that it has.

Armagh18

Quote from: Rois on August 05, 2021, 11:57:19 AM
COVIDCert NI

You can then scan the QR code onto the app for the south so it looks like the European Vaccine Cert, though I can't see that it will work if scanned in the south. Haven't heard that it has.
Cheers. Is this what you need for travelling abroad also?

Rois

Yeah you need it to travel abroad. Trying mine out on Monday  8)
It'll tell you not to apply for it until you're going abroad but you can ignore it.

JoG2

Quote from: Rois on August 05, 2021, 11:57:19 AM
COVIDCert NI

QR code from the NI Cert will scan down South. Your name will pop up and they'll ask for phot ID to confirm

Armagh18

Quote from: Rois on August 05, 2021, 12:42:27 PM
It'll tell you not to apply for it until you're going abroad but you can ignore it.
Sound. Hopefully it's working.

Milltown Row2

Going to France you'll be fine, just a flow test before leaving and PCR test booked for coming home will do by the looks of it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2021, 01:11:36 PM

Going to France you'll be fine, just a flow test before leaving and PCR test booked for coming home will do by the looks of it
Yep, been following all this for weeks, and France going Amber yesterday was great.
Quote from: JoG2 on August 05, 2021, 12:43:47 PM

QR code from the NI Cert will scan down South. Your name will pop up and they'll ask for phot ID to confirm
Brilliant - have you seen it work in practice? I've only heard that it hasn't.

JoG2

Quote from: Rois on August 05, 2021, 01:29:51 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2021, 01:11:36 PM

Yep, been following all this for weeks, and France going Amber yesterday was great.
Quote from: JoG2 on August 05, 2021, 12:43:47 PM

Brilliant - have you seen it work in practice? I've only heard that it hasn't.

Work colleague just back from 5 days in Galway / Killarney. Code scanned, staff called out her name, she confirmed, showed ID and straight in