Lorry Tragedy

Started by Square Ball, October 25, 2019, 03:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: Rossfan on October 26, 2019, 11:41:19 AM
On day one of this tragic story Independent newspapers had to suggest there was a dissident Republican link.
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on October 26, 2019, 12:27:51 PM
Loyalists link too depending on what you read..

Could both be correct. Both groupings have more loyalty to the £ and € than any cause.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: LeoMc on October 26, 2019, 06:38:57 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 26, 2019, 05:41:36 PM
Was curious as to why he opened that trailer so soon after leaving the port so he must have knew what he was doing. If they were already dead by the time he hooked the trailer on can he still be charged with manslaughter?

Could be just the tip of the iceberg though, I doubt very much if a lone self employed lorry man had the wherewithal to lead the operation. I would imagine that he was just a small cog in a much bigger wheel.   
Opening the trailer 30 minutes after lifting it is the bit that really stands out. Three scenarios come to mind:
1: that is where he planned to let the passengers out.
2: he noticed the unit was switched off/ out of fuel when he picked it up and he knew there was a risk of suffocation but did not open it until he was clear of the docks so that he wouldn't get caught red handed.
3: he didn't know what his cargo was, noticed the fridge wasn't working but didn't check the load inside the docks as it would lead to added checks and delays.
He is innocent until proven guilty, but I suspect we can rule out 3 as the money laundering charge would suggest they have got some financial juice on him, presumably after the house raids. If they can link the money to the lorry runs then he's fcuked.

Will it ever end

Money laundering an interesting addition to the charges - would wonder if there was a large sum of cash on him at the time or as another poster has suggested a large sum found in one of the house searches.

Have a sense this is only the tip of the iceberg with an unholy amount of shit to come out about a wider network.

This all the while as 39 people have lost their lives in deplorable circumstances

WT4E

Does anyone else find it strange that a 25 year old has been able to buy such a property as a gate house to a castle or is that a media exaggeration??? Plus goin by his Facebook posts his lorry was one of a kind and must have been a tasty fee. I'm all for hard working lads but when I was 25 I was borrowing my sister's car and only had money for the breakfast roll on a Monday morning.

I always had suspicions about some lorry fellas that got very big down our way recently..... I wonder is it only tip of the ice berg and if it is I hope they all taken down cause this lad is only one who got caught in this awful game.

Tony Baloney

It's the tip of the iceberg. Hopefully a lot of lads having sleepless nights.

clarshack

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 27, 2019, 12:05:01 AM
It's the tip of the iceberg. Hopefully a lot of lads having sleepless nights.

Hopefully.

screenexile

Haulage is the murkiest business... within legal bounds there's very little margin so the temptation is there to "diversify".

Loads of dodgy lads involved in haulage even without the human trafficking element it's the kind of business susceptible to criminality there'll be a lot more to come from this!

David McKeown

Quote from: Will it ever end on October 26, 2019, 10:02:00 PM
Money laundering an interesting addition to the charges - would wonder if there was a large sum of cash on him at the time or as another poster has suggested a large sum found in one of the house searches.

Have a sense this is only the tip of the iceberg with an unholy amount of shit to come out about a wider network.

This all the while as 39 people have lost their lives in deplorable circumstances

I would have thought the money laundering may have been on a joint enterprise basis with who ever was being paid the big money that's been talked about
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Will it ever end

Quote from: WT4E on October 26, 2019, 11:56:06 PM
Does anyone else find it strange that a 25 year old has been able to buy such a property as a gate house to a castle or is that a media exaggeration??? Plus goin by his Facebook posts his lorry was one of a kind and must have been a tasty fee. I'm all for hard working lads but when I was 25 I was borrowing my sister's car and only had money for the breakfast roll on a Monday morning.

I always had suspicions about some lorry fellas that got very big down our way recently..... I wonder is it only tip of the ice berg and if it is I hope they all taken down cause this lad is only one who got caught in this awful game.

The property values up at £160k - it wouldn't be unrealistic for a young couple to purchase something along those lines - the media would certainly be making more of it that reality.

seafoid

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 26, 2019, 07:54:54 PM
Was curious as to why he opened that trailer so soon after leaving the port so he must have knew what he was doing. If they were already dead by the time he hooked the trailer on can he still be charged with manslaughter?

Could be just the tip of the iceberg though, I doubt very much if a lone self employed lorry man had the wherewithal to lead the operation. I would imagine that he was just a small cog in a much bigger wheel.   L
Opening the trailer 30 minutes after lifting it is the bit that really stands out. Three scenarios come to mind:
2: he noticed the unit was switched off/ out of fuel when he picked it up and he knew there was a risk of suffocation but did not open it until he was clear of the docks so that he wouldn't get caught red handed.
3: he didn't know what his cargo was, noticed the fridge wasn't working but didn't check the load inside the docks as it would lead to added checks and delays.
He is innocent until proven guilty, but I suspect we can rule out 3 as the money laundering charge would suggest they have got some financial juice on him, presumably after the house raids. If they can link the money to the lorry runs then he's fcuked.

If people pay 30k to get to the UK the last leg could be worth £5k per head x40 for £200k for a few hours' work. There are probably many more.

The money would have to be laundered. Ulster Bank in Portadown might get suspicious.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Will it ever end

I'd imagine it's a very small fraction of that figure Seofoid - No way he'd have been clearing £200k for that run...

seafoid

Quote from: Will it ever end on October 27, 2019, 06:22:51 AM
I'd imagine it's a very small fraction of that figure Seofoid - No way he'd have been clearing £200k for that run...
We would need to get the inside view from a gang accountant. It's around £800-900 from Vietnam to LHR with a visa. At £30K a lot of people take a cut. Getting into the UK undocumented is the hardest part.Camps in Northern France are full of people who failed.   Even if it's £2.5k it's massive.

Mail on Sunday said that the truck was part of a convoy of 3 and that the other 2 made it
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Will it ever end

Agreed at that figure it's massive! If there were two other convoys that got through you'd expect the net to close in on all involved quite quickly with the level of CCTV around ports.

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on October 27, 2019, 06:13:46 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 26, 2019, 07:54:54 PM

Could be just the tip of the iceberg though, I doubt very much if a lone self employed lorry man had the wherewithal to lead the operation. I would imagine that he was just a small cog in a much bigger wheel.   L

If people pay 30k to get to the UK the last leg could be worth £5k per head x40 for £200k for a few hours' work. There are probably many more.

The money would have to be laundered. Ulster Bank in Portadown might get suspicious.

Would all these gangs be getting a small cut in this - I don't think the driver would be getting a huge amount???

quit yo jibbajabba

40 30k's is a lot of money, plenty to share around, wee bit for all the players while the masterminds get a good cut too