Lions Tour

Started by bennydorano, June 03, 2017, 07:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: smelmoth on May 08, 2021, 11:23:01 AM
Love the Lions Tour. Love the Ryder cup.

Remember walking the streets of Krakow looking for a pub that would be guaranteed to show the Lions match the following day. The only time in life I was glad to find one of those generic Irish pubs. But come match time it was bunged, mainly Irish and all fecked off when we played shite and got beat.

I reckon that some people just won't back a team with the word British in it. Maybe the commentators could work harder at not lazily referring to the British Lions but life is too short to waste time getting excited by all that. Incredibly there are people who think the term the British Isles is designed to annoy them personally or that it infers ownership of Ireland by England. If you have a problem with that take it up with the French and let the rest of us get on with life.
Well it does.
And what has the name of the British isles got to do with the French?

smelmoth

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on May 08, 2021, 07:31:11 PM

Remember walking the streets of Krakow looking for a pub that would be guaranteed to show the Lions match the following day. The only time in life I was glad to find one of those generic Irish pubs. But come match time it was bunged, mainly Irish and all fecked off when we played shite and got beat.

I reckon that some people just won't back a team with the word British in it. Maybe the commentators could work harder at not lazily referring to the British Lions but life is too short to waste time getting excited by all that. Incredibly there are people who think the term the British Isles is designed to annoy them personally or that it infers ownership of Ireland by England. If you have a problem with that take it up with the French and let the rest of us get on with life.
Well it does.

Well it doesn't. So there.

But seriously.

It's the Normans. They were French. Near neighbours of Brittany. Popped across La Manche. Found it a bit rugged and blustery. A bit like Brittany only bigger. A Grande Bretagne. The island beside it was similarly rugged and similarly blustery and so we had Les Iles Britanniques. I'll leave the translations to you.

So ownership no. And French yes. Comprenez vous?

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: smelmoth on May 08, 2021, 09:10:24 PM

Well it does.

But seriously.

It's the Normans. They were French. Near neighbours of Brittany. Popped across La Manche. Found it a bit rugged and blustery. A bit like Brittany only bigger. A Grande Bretagne. The island beside it was similarly rugged and similarly blustery and so we had Les Iles Britanniques. I'll leave the translations to you.

"So there" Jesus Christ what age are you ;D

And it does.

The rest of that post is pure waffle and bluster and irrelevant to my question.
As for the "translations", I'm a fluent French speaker, so I've got that covered, thanks.
Clown

screenexile

Somebody should have told Kyle Sinckler that the Lions is a load of overhyped bullshit he obviously didn't get the memo...

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: screenexile on May 09, 2021, 04:39:09 PM
Somebody should have told Kyle Sinckler that the Lions is a load of overhyped bullshit he obviously didn't get the memo...

Just a snippet of what it means to these guys. Fairly unlikeable character on the field....but seems a really good guy behind it all. Felt sorry for him watching that clip.

smelmoth

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on May 09, 2021, 05:56:07 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on May 08, 2021, 09:10:24 PM

Well it does.

But seriously.

"So there" Jesus Christ what age are you ;D

And it does.

The rest of that post is pure waffle and bluster and irrelevant to my question.
As for the "translations", I'm a fluent French speaker, so I've got that covered, thanks.
Clown

Ok I did get a bit of that wrong. Only the Great Britain bit is related to the French. Ooopsies. My apologies

Capt Pat

The Lions were beaten tonight by a very strong South Africa A, 17-13 in the end. The first competitive game on the tour and the Lions lost it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 14, 2021, 09:22:02 PM
The Lions were beaten tonight by a very strong South Africa A, 17-13 in the end. The first competitive game on the tour and the Lions lost it.

SA had more or less full team out, Gatland will have a different set up going into first 'real' test, should be a interesting set of games.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Estimator

Lions team for 1st Test: Hogg; A Watson, Daly, Henshaw, Van Der Merwe; Biggar, Price; W Jones, Cowan-Dickie, Furlong, Itoje, AW Jones (capt), Lawes, Curry, Conan.

6 English,
3 Welsh,
3 Irish and
3 Scots

Murray goes from replacement Capt to replacement.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Hoof Hearted

What had Josh Adams to do
Not even in squad
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Capt Pat

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 21, 2021, 07:22:55 PM
What had Josh Adams to do
Not even in squad

Adams did well on tour but the Lions are strong at the position. I would have had Rees Zammit at the position. They are also carrying 6 forwards as sub and only 2 backs on the bench.

screenexile

Seems a strange selection to me. Elliot Daly at Centre??

I don't think VDM is any great shakes at wing either although he's big and physical so that's why he's there. AWJ is a gamble and I also think Lawes is past his best.

Obviously Garland knows a lot more than me and gets it right more often than not so will be interesting to see how the test goes. Looking forward to it!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on July 21, 2021, 11:04:09 PM
Seems a strange selection to me. Elliot Daly at Centre??

I don't think VDM is any great shakes at wing either although he's big and physical so that's why he's there. AWJ is a gamble and I also think Lawes is past his best.

Obviously Garland knows a lot more than me and gets it right more often than not so will be interesting to see how the test goes. Looking forward to it!
Lawes was red hot for a few weeks at the business end of the Gallagher Prem, so peaked at the right time for selection, and he can drop into second row if required. VDM definitely there for size. Daly has a big boot so if it's going to be an arm-wrestle between the forwards they maybe reckon there could be a good few scrum pens etc. so he gives them options as far out as 50m. Interesting match ahead. Gatland has rarely picked the people he is expected to pick - remember when he didn't pick BOD there was nearly WWIII!

Never beat the deeler

Initially thinking AWJ was a huge gamble, but I guess the shoulder will either hold up or it won't. If he's going to be out, it may as well be early in the tour as late. And you can't risk bringing him on and wasting a substitution if he needs to come back off.

Williams on the bench tho, that's a strange one. He can only really play FB and Hogg can only play FB. Adams would have covered wing and full back, as well as 13 if you were stuck
Hasta la victoria siempre

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2021/07/21/john-robbie-interview-irishman-played-south-africa-end-anti/

He feels the series is on a knife edge. Many of the Springboks' advantages as world champions have been negated by a lack of game time. With such thin margins, the set-piece battle looms large. "It could come down to the scrum," Robbie said. "That first scrum in the first Test will be really significant. If you can go forward, as South Africa did in the World Cup final against England, then you have basically won the game."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU