Lions Tour

Started by bennydorano, June 03, 2017, 07:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 07, 2021, 10:10:52 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 06, 2021, 03:20:34 PM
The Lions, like the Ryder Cup is of little interest to me. It's a junket.

I'm going to be honest with you - I was waiting to see who would be the first person to trot this, or something very similar, out. It is of course all about opinions. Thankfully though, your view does not appear to be shared by the majority of the rugby following public with the result that we normally have contests of the highest standard, played before huge, partisan crowds, that makes for a thrilling sporting spectacle. The emotions of the players - both winners and losers - gives some insight into what it means for those to participate.

I often wonder why people who have no interest in something feel the need to post about their lack of interest in that thing

Franko

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 07, 2021, 01:17:16 PM
Quote from: Franko on May 07, 2021, 01:03:20 PM
It is entertaining, but lets face it, it started as a glorified team holiday/piss up and it's only media and PR company hype that have elevated it into something more.

I'd enjoy the spectacle but wouldn't be getting too bothered about the results.

Said it here before - it's akin to the best of Donegal, Monaghan, Cavan and Tyrone going down and playing Kerry.

A good spectacle, but ultimately meaningless in terms of representative sport.

I don't think you can have demonstrated a greater lack of understanding of what it means to those involved. Winning a series against the Lions is often quoted by Southern Hemisphere players as an event to rank alongside winning the World Cup.

And the southern hemisphere teams should be proud of their achievement.

They beat the pick of 4 other top ranked rugby nations.

I've never seen a quote from a player placing it so highly, but no doubt you'll find one.

I would question your assertion that it is 'often' quoted though.

I also think it would be naïve not to consider the motivations behind such a quote in terms of generating interest in the series.

A lions victory on the other hand... could you explain to me why that would be worth celebrating?

thewobbler

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 07, 2021, 04:21:38 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 07, 2021, 03:27:49 PM
In truth it is more corporate junket than pinnacle of sport. That's it's lifeblood. The media are complicit partners in this junket too, for life really doesn't get any better for a sports journalist than 3 or 4 all-expenses weeks away in a pretty informal sporting environment, halfway across the world. Hence the column inches. Hence the daily reminders of how important it is to everyone.

I still enjoy it for what it is: good, honest, representative sport, where bragging rights is more important to the competitors than the financial end of things. And in fairness to rugby pros, they are very, very rarely found hiding - which in itself makes for a spectacle.

Does your description of the event in your second paragraph not essentially undermine your opening line in your first paragraph?

I'm not a rugby man, but I essentially take my lead on this from the weight that those in the world of rugby - players, officials and supporters - place on it, and how that is reflected in the sense of sporting occasion and the intensity of what happens on the field.

Sort of i suppose i guess.

Similar to the Ryder Cup really. Not making the cut is probably a bigger emotional blow for the players than the honour of actually representing a collage of nations.

But it's the media that puts Ryder Cup appearances almost on a pedestal with major wins. And they dine on it. Then some more and more. When it's not really true. Neither the Ryder nor the Lions is actually that important. Just good fun, hyped beyond words.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Franko on May 07, 2021, 05:28:41 PM
And the southern hemisphere teams should be proud of their achievement. They beat the pick of 4 other top ranked rugby nations. I've never seen a quote from a player placing it so highly, but no doubt you'll find one. I would question your assertion that it is 'often' quoted though. I also think it would be naïve not to consider the motivations behind such a quote in terms of generating interest in the series. A lions victory on the other hand... could you explain to me why that would be worth celebrating?

I'm afraid not. My days of investing such time and effort into debates on this forum have long since gone. The fact that you are ready to query the motivation for such quotes anyway, if they were to be found, only serves to underline the wisdom of my stance.

Quote from: Franko on May 07, 2021, 05:28:41 PM
A lions victory on the other hand... could you explain to me why that would be worth celebrating?

The achievement of a specific group of players, coming together for the first and only time, and in a relatively short space of time, creating / developing a collective effort in terms of game plan / application, to beat the World Champions on their own patch.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: thewobbler on May 07, 2021, 05:43:37 PM
But it's the media that puts Ryder Cup appearances almost on a pedestal with major wins. And they dine on it. Then some more and more. When it's not really true. Neither the Ryder nor the Lions is actually that important. Just good fun, hyped beyond words.

The raw emotion shown by the participants in both - and there are countless examples - give a totally different perspective.

imtommygunn

It's a bit like the railway cup for players from weaker counties... it means more to some than to others.

Hardy

Yeah, go Lions. British and Irish till I die.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hardy on May 07, 2021, 07:28:35 PM
Back on a positive note I see  ;D

thewobbler

Who's that new poster?

seafoid

Fáilte ar ais Hardyarse
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Applesisapples

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 07, 2021, 05:00:27 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 07, 2021, 10:10:52 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 06, 2021, 03:20:34 PM
The Lions, like the Ryder Cup is of little interest to me. It's a junket.

I'm going to be honest with you - I was waiting to see who would be the first person to trot this, or something very similar, out. It is of course all about opinions. Thankfully though, your view does not appear to be shared by the majority of the rugby following public with the result that we normally have contests of the highest standard, played before huge, partisan crowds, that makes for a thrilling sporting spectacle. The emotions of the players - both winners and losers - gives some insight into what it means for those to participate.

I often wonder why people who have no interest in something feel the need to post about their lack of interest in that thing
I often wonder why people with no interest in discussion use this board.

Rufus T Firefly

"Look to my coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East."

JimStynes

I used to love the Lions tours and watched the Lions tour documentaries flat out as it gave a good insight into the professionalism of the team setup.  There wasn't much social media back then so you got to see a lot of players in a different light whereas now you can quickly click on their instagram or twitter nowadays. Over the past few tours they haven't been the same and have become less interesting.

smelmoth

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 08, 2021, 08:42:19 AM

"Look to my coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East."

Ahh they great welsh wing wizards always good for a quote

smelmoth

Love the Lions Tour. Love the Ryder cup.

Remember walking the streets of Krakow looking for a pub that would be guaranteed to show the Lions match the following day. The only time in life I was glad to find one of those generic Irish pubs. But come match time it was bunged, mainly Irish and all fecked off when we played shite and got beat.

I reckon that some people just won't back a team with the word British in it. Maybe the commentators could work harder at not lazily referring to the British Lions but life is too short to waste time getting excited by all that. Incredibly there are people who think the term the British Isles is designed to annoy them personally or that it infers ownership of Ireland by England. If you have a problem with that take it up with the French and let the rest of us get on with life.