Lions Tour

Started by bennydorano, June 03, 2017, 07:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Some odd picks but combination of wanting aggressive players and having Gregor Townsend on the backroom team no doubt helped swing a couple of the Scottish picks. I think Henry Slade could feel aggrieved.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 06, 2021, 03:20:34 PM
The Lions, like the Ryder Cup is of little interest to me. It's a junket.

I'm going to be honest with you - I was waiting to see who would be the first person to trot this, or something very similar, out. It is of course all about opinions. Thankfully though, your view does not appear to be shared by the majority of the rugby following public with the result that we normally have contests of the highest standard, played before huge, partisan crowds, that makes for a thrilling sporting spectacle. The emotions of the players - both winners and losers - gives some insight into what it means for those to participate. 

johnnycool

Quote from: bennydorano on May 06, 2021, 05:44:46 PM
Quote from: John Egans left boot on May 06, 2021, 04:49:55 PM
Folks not big time into Rugby but Henderson!! I'm mean am I of script here with this or maybe it's been mentioned, he finds it hard to make the Irish 4/5 positions
Read a few quotes saying it was a squad designed for kick, crash, bang, wallop Rugby, would suit him OK.

Gatland likes his crash ball rugby, hence why Aki is in there. Sexton and Ringrose are better off sitting at home.

GetOverTheBar

The Lions have options certainly but centre is definitely the weakness. Farrell can obviously cover in there, but Henshaw / Aki and Chris Harris against the South Africans seems light. Elliot Daly has played centre before but I don't know if he would last against the South Africans.

I still can't believe Jonathan Davies didn't get selected in the centre especially with George North looking like a certain starter before his injury, you can't take them all I suppose.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 07, 2021, 10:10:52 AM

I'm going to be honest with you - I was waiting to see who would be the first person to trot this, or something very similar, out. It is of course all about opinions. Thankfully though, your view does not appear to be shared by the majority of the rugby following public with the result that we normally have contests of the highest standard, played before huge, partisan crowds, that makes for a thrilling sporting spectacle. The emotions of the players - both winners and losers - gives some insight into what it means for those to participate.
It is nothing more than an opinion and I am entitled to hold it, won't watch either event.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 07, 2021, 12:02:11 PM

It is nothing more than an opinion and I am entitled to hold it, won't watch either event.
I guess people find it strange that someone would take time out from their day to go into a thread of something they have no interest in, to tell people they have no interest in it.

Franko

It is entertaining, but lets face it, it started as a glorified team holiday/piss up and it's only media and PR company hype that have elevated it into something more.

I'd enjoy the spectacle but wouldn't be getting too bothered about the results.

Said it here before - it's akin to the best of Donegal, Monaghan, Cavan and Tyrone going down and playing Kerry.

A good spectacle, but ultimately meaningless in terms of representative sport.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Franko on May 07, 2021, 01:03:20 PM
It is entertaining, but lets face it, it started as a glorified team holiday/piss up and it's only media and PR company hype that have elevated it into something more.

I'd enjoy the spectacle but wouldn't be getting too bothered about the results.

Said it here before - it's akin to the best of Donegal, Monaghan, Cavan and Tyrone going down and playing Kerry.

A good spectacle, but ultimately meaningless in terms of representative sport.

I don't think you can have demonstrated a greater lack of understanding of what it means to those involved. Winning a series against the Lions is often quoted by Southern Hemisphere players as an event to rank alongside winning the World Cup. 

Louther

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 07, 2021, 12:59:58 PM

I guess people find it strange that someone would take time out from their day to go into a thread of something they have no interest in, to tell people they have no interest in it.

Well put.

Normally a rush on some people to shout and continuing shouting about how much they not interested in something. Very odd.

It's a kin to people not liking a band in basis of "they got too popular/big/commercial, I liked them when no one did".

Lions is a great event. The very best in their sport taking on each other.

Rudi

Every 4 years if the best from the Northern Hems was to take on the best from the Southern Hems in 3 tests. Warm up games could be against countries instead of clubs. Southern Hems could tour the Northern Hems 4 years later.

Applesisapples

So I'm not allowed to express an opinion on the board now? It is a waste of time and money and an ego trip in my opinion. Harking back to the days off Empire.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Louther on May 07, 2021, 02:20:18 PM

Well put.

Normally a rush on some people to shout and continuing shouting about how much they not interested in something. Very odd.

It's a kin to people not liking a band in basis of "they got too popular/big/commercial, I liked them when no one did".

Lions is a great event. The very best in their sport taking on each other.
By all means explain why you enjoy it, but this is a discussion board and dissent is allowed, otherwise there'd be no discussion. It would then be an agreement board 😂. Oh and I get that it means something to players to be chosen. But lets face it it is not the b best of the Northern Hemisphere vs the best of the Southern Hemisphere. Firstly South Africa are just one team, and secondly France, Italy etc are excluded. but here you all enjoy.

thewobbler

In truth it is more corporate junket than pinnacle of sport. That's it's lifeblood. The media are complicit partners in this junket too, for life really doesn't get any better for a sports journalist than 3 or 4 all-expenses weeks away in a pretty informal sporting environment, halfway across the world. Hence the column inches. Hence the daily reminders of how important it is to everyone.

I still enjoy it for what it is: good, honest, representative sport, where bragging rights is more important to the competitors than the financial end of things. And in fairness to rugby pros, they are very, very rarely found hiding - which in itself makes for a spectacle.

tiempo

This Lions has a few things going for it. Its heritage, no-one can deny that, the tours going back a century or more being particularly impressive given the grueling travel itinerary, but moreover the Lions is a huge cash cow for NZ, SA and Oz both within the rugby fraternity and for tourism generally. It would be fairly well factored into the budgets of their rugby unions and part of their ongoing development strategies. Look it is what it is, harmless fun (concussions aside).

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: thewobbler on May 07, 2021, 03:27:49 PM
In truth it is more corporate junket than pinnacle of sport. That's it's lifeblood. The media are complicit partners in this junket too, for life really doesn't get any better for a sports journalist than 3 or 4 all-expenses weeks away in a pretty informal sporting environment, halfway across the world. Hence the column inches. Hence the daily reminders of how important it is to everyone.

I still enjoy it for what it is: good, honest, representative sport, where bragging rights is more important to the competitors than the financial end of things. And in fairness to rugby pros, they are very, very rarely found hiding - which in itself makes for a spectacle.

Does your description of the event in your second paragraph not essentially undermine your opening line in your first paragraph?

I'm not a rugby man, but I essentially take my lead on this from the weight that those in the world of rugby - players, officials and supporters - place on it, and how that is reflected in the sense of sporting occasion and the intensity of what happens on the field.