Lions Tour

Started by bennydorano, June 03, 2017, 07:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoUpTwoDown

The southern bias has filtered into the Board. Henderson offers much more for the Lions and on form alone it wasn't even up for debate. If Ryan were playing in any other province he'd be behind Beirne and Henderson comfortably in Irelands second row atm.

johnnycool

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on May 06, 2021, 01:24:01 PM
The southern bias has filtered into the Board. Henderson offers much more for the Lions and on form alone it wasn't even up for debate. If Ryan were playing in any other province he'd be behind Beirne and Henderson comfortably in Irelands second row atm.

I thought Beirne was outstanding in the 6N's TBH.

Hound

Lower squad number this year has helped players who can do more than one position, like Beirne, Hendo, Lawes, Conan, Porter, Daly.

Still think Ryan is unlucky to lose out to Lawes and Hill. A Lions tour would also be great for his development. Jonny Gray another surprise absentee from the second row.
Albeit I think AWJ and Itjoe are guaranteed starters anyway, but Beirne has a great chance of the 6 jersey in the opening test.

I think Henshaw is in more as a 13 than a 12 and is also a likely starter in the first test.

Furlong should be a guaranteed starter.

Of course, with injuries there's nearly bound to be a number of changes between now and the first test.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: TwoUpTwoDown on May 06, 2021, 01:24:01 PM

I'm from the North and I've no idea how Henderson is in the squad over Ryan and as just mentioned Jonny Gray. Henderson has the experience of the NZ tour obviously.

Josh Navidi of Wales also desperately unlucky.

TwoUpTwoDown

Quote from: Hound on May 06, 2021, 01:55:23 PM
Lower squad number this year has helped players who can do more than one position, like Beirne, Hendo, Lawes, Conan, Porter, Daly.

Still think Ryan is unlucky to lose out to Lawes and Hill. A Lions tour would also be great for his development. Jonny Gray another surprise absentee from the second row.
Albeit I think AWJ and Itjoe are guaranteed starters anyway, but Beirne has a great chance of the 6 jersey in the opening test.

I think Henshaw is in more as a 13 than a 12 and is also a likely starter in the first test.

Furlong should be a guaranteed starter.

Of course, with injuries there's nearly bound to be a number of changes between now and the first test.

There is definitely an argument for Ryan over Lawes and Hill, but it wasn't a toss up between him and Henderson. I think you could argue Hendy was the form player for Ireland in 6Nations and I am firmly of the belief if he lined out in blue that narrative would have been pushed.

Beirne would appear to be lined up for the start. I also think we could very easily see Aki and Henshaw starting. Also if injury hits you could drop Sexton in the week before the tests and he could be a starter no problem. I'd AWJ a certain starter?

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/lions-squad-johnny-sexton-left-out-as-eight-irish-players-selected-1.4557145
"Sexton, one of the undoubted heroes of both the 2013 and 2017 tours and indisputably the form outhalf of the Six Nations.
Instead, they have chosen Owen Farrell, short of form and predominantly used as an inside centre by England in the Six Nations, Finn Russell and Dan Biggar as their three outhalves."

His concussions must have caught up with him
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

I thought Sexton might just sneak in over Farrell now that the Da is off the line scene and Owen being out of form but it's not that much of a shock. Between Farrell and Biggar there, I'm not sure if Russell will be trusted to start....but some man to bring in for a bit of magic at the end.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2021, 02:56:59 PM

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/lions-squad-johnny-sexton-left-out-as-eight-irish-players-selected-1.4557145
"Sexton, one of the undoubted heroes of both the 2013 and 2017 tours and indisputably the form outhalf of the Six Nations.
Instead, they have chosen Owen Farrell, short of form and predominantly used as an inside centre by England in the Six Nations, Finn Russell and Dan Biggar as their three outhalves."

You'd be doing the lad a favour in not picking him. A good rest might see another year out of him

Applesisapples

The Lions, like the Ryder Cup is of little interest to me. It's a junket.

mouview

D4 set going to explode in a DUP-like self-righteous fit of rage over his omission.

johnnycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 06, 2021, 03:20:34 PM
The Lions, like the Ryder Cup is of little interest to me. It's a junket.

You're just pissed that you weren't picked.

John Egans left boot

Folks not big time into Rugby but Henderson!! I'm mean am I of script here with this or maybe it's been mentioned, he finds it hard to make the Irish 4/5 positions

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on May 06, 2021, 03:14:46 PM

You'd be doing the lad a favour in not picking him. A good rest might see another year out of him

You wouldn't be wrong

bennydorano

Quote from: John Egans left boot on May 06, 2021, 04:49:55 PM
Folks not big time into Rugby but Henderson!! I'm mean am I of script here with this or maybe it's been mentioned, he finds it hard to make the Irish 4/5 positions
Read a few quotes saying it was a squad designed for kick, crash, bang, wallop Rugby, would suit him OK.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/warren-gatland-explains-big-calls-on-johnny-sexton-and-james-ryan-1.4557515

Warren Gatland has confirmed that Johnny Sexton's "durability" was the prime factor in overlooking the two-time Lions' outhalf and this year's Six Nations' leading points scorer.

The Lions head coach also cited James Ryan's performances in Leinster's defeat by La Rochelle last Sunday and their Champions Cup quarter-final loss at home to Saracens last September as part of the rationale behind his omission.

"There's no doubt that was one of the toughest decisions that we had to make," Gatland admitted with regard to leaving out Sexton and preferring Owen Farrell, Finn Russell and Dan Biggar as his options at outhalf.

"I've got a huge amount of respect for Johnny and his quality. But, it's such a pivotal position for us and it's about sending a message to the No 10s we have selected that we have confidence and belief in them to do a job.

"When we looked at where we were going, to South Africa, probably the thing that kept coming back to us was Johnny's durability. Being able to put a string of games together, consecutively big matches together. He has been rested on a number of occasions and unfortunately that's possibly what swayed it for us in terms of us not having the confidence that he can get through what's going to be a tough, physical tour."

As for not picking Ryan, Gatland said: "Look, there are a lot of tough calls. James was pretty unlucky. For us, it was getting that balance right with our secondrow and backrow options and having cover in those positions. Players being able to play secondrow or backrow."

This factor worked in favour of Tadhg Beirne and Iain Henderson who, like Maro Itoje, have also played at blindside.

"Look, James is unlucky," Gatland repeated. "We saw an example last weekend with Leinster against La Rochelle and if you look at the match properly, La Rochelle reminded me of what we're going to face in South Africa. We're going to face big, physical men. They'd Will Skelton, how direct they were coming off No 9.

"Probably the last couple of years, with Leinster in a couple of those big games - I know they were really good against Exeter - but we saw at the weekend and 12 months ago against Saracens in the European quarter-final - they've really gone hard at them physically up front and that challenge."

It transpires that Garry Ringrose's cruel run with injuries proved particularly unfortunate when missing out on the Six Nations finale against England, not least as it showcased the abilities of Bundee Aki at '12' and Robbie Henshaw at '13' in Ireland's convincing win.

"That combination of Bundee Aki and Robbie Henshaw was outstanding for Ireland against England, we've got to be able to have that balance between physicality that they bring and the ability to play rugby.

"Both of those players bring that, they know how to roll their sleeves up when it does get tough but they also can play some pretty positive attacking rugby as well."