Lions Tour

Started by bennydorano, June 03, 2017, 07:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

A truly epic finale to a series that will live forever in history.

An hour and a half after the match ended and I'm still shaking.

Every bit of hype that surrounded this series was justified and then some.

The two greatest teams in world rugby threw everything, more than everything, at each other and still couldn't be separated.

We saw the very pinnacle of the game of rugby football today.

This, as Jim Telfer once said, was the British Lions' Everest. Today they are Sherpa Tenzing Norgay. They have arrived at the summit hand in hand with the New Zealanders. And half the DHL Cup can be couriered back home to sit alongside the Tom Richards Cup won in 2013.

My how this team and squad has grown. Credit to Gatty for creating a wonderful spirit in the camp. There were no Englishmen, Irishmen, Welshmen or Scotchmen out there today. There were only Lions and they were our Lions. I cheered as much for the brilliant Jonathan Davies, the indomitable Anthony Watson, the force of nature that is Maro Itoje and the hapless turned clutch Owen Farrell as I did for Jonny Sexton, Conor Murray or Sean O'Brien.

The great sporting spectacles always carry the possibility of a draw. The Charity Shield (it'll always be the Charity Shield) the Ashes, the Ryder Cup, fixed world title boxing fights, and, of course, a British Lions test series.

This series has been the sporting equivalent of The Italian Job.

A true classic where our British boys went abroad to bring home the prize against the odds. An exhilarating plot which built up to an incredible climax which was cut just as we were on the verge of finding out who would prevail.

It feels incredibly frustrating right now after three titanic tests, but I guess this is how it is meant to be.

And in time, as with the 1968 classic, we'll come to appreciate the unconventional beauty of the ending.

We'll never know what would have happened had it gone on, and that's the genius of it.

This series is about the result, of course it is, but its also about the legacy left behind. The legacy of courage, skill, flair and refusal to give in, ever. And that legacy will be a very rich one.

This team has well and truly put the pride in "pride of Lions".

We are privileged to have witnessed this tour and these test matches.

Kilkevan

Quote from: sid waddell on July 08, 2017, 11:56:04 AM

The two greatest teams in world rugby threw everything, more than everything, at each other and still couldn't be separated.

This, as Jim Telfer once said, was the British Lions' Everest. Today they are Sherpa Tenzing Norgay. They have arrived at the summit hand in hand with the New Zealanders. And half the DHL Cup can be couriered back home to sit alongside the Tom Richards Cup won in 2013.

My how this team and squad has grown. Credit to Gatty for creating a wonderful spirit in the camp. There were no Englishmen, Irishmen, Welshmen or Scotchmen out there today. There were only Lions and they were our Lions. I cheered as much for the brilliant Jonathan Davies, the indomitable Anthony Watson, the force of nature that is Maro Itoje and the hapless turned clutch Owen Farrell as I did for Jonny Sexton, Conor Murray or Sean O'Brien.

The great sporting spectacles always carry the possibility of a draw. The Charity Shield (it'll always be the Charity Shield) the Ashes, the Ryder Cup, fixed world title boxing fights, and, of course, a British Lions test series.

A true classic where our British boys went abroad to bring home the prize against the odds. An exhilarating plot which built up to an incredible climax which was cut just as we were on the verge of finding out who would prevail.

It feels incredibly frustrating right now after three titanic tests, but I guess this is how it is meant to be.

And in time, as with the 1968 classic, we'll come to appreciate the unconventional beauty of the ending.

We'll never know what would have happened had it gone on, and that's the genius of it.

This series is about the result, of course it is, but its also about the legacy left behind. The legacy of courage, skill, flair and refusal to give in, ever. And that legacy will be a very rich one.

Eh?

square_ball

Fair play to you Sid congrats my man. You'll take a few beers to celebrate tonight?

Syferus

That must have upset a few here anyways. Lolz.

quit yo jibbajabba

Brevity. Hugely underrated

Kilkevan

Quote from: Syferus on July 08, 2017, 01:05:05 PM
That must have upset a few here anyways. Lolz.

Nah... I wouldn't think so... Didn't see anyone on here supporting against the Lions, just the majority aren't fanboys with posters of Itoje on their bedroom walls and will happily go back to supporting the bigger picture, their national team, whilst the drooling sychophants who like to pretend that Lions' tours are bigger than the World Cup will retreat back to their caves for the next four years. Lolz lolz.

Main Street

Quote from: square_ball on July 08, 2017, 01:00:24 PM
Fair play to you Sid congrats my man. You'll take a few beers to celebrate tonight?
You do realise that this is Sid?

Kilkevan

Quote from: Main Street on July 08, 2017, 01:31:26 PM
Quote from: square_ball on July 08, 2017, 01:00:24 PM
You do realise that this is Sid?

Alf!

JoG2

That was some game of rugby this morning. Lions rode their luck at times with a few uncharacteristic spillages from the ABs. After a woeful start, Farl showed some nerve to land those penalties

Hoes before bros

I'm curious to know how big rugby fans feel about the lions tours in general. For me I think it's a load of nonsense. I'm not anti English, Welsh or Scottish but I just couldn't bring myself to be a fan of this team. If it was 4 complete underdogs combining to play the far and away best team in the world I might feel differently but that is simple not the case. England are Ireland are ranked in the top 4 with Wales and Scotland not far behind. If we think of a GAA equivalent it would be something like Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone and Cork amalgamating to play the dubs. If they could only draw with the dubs in a 3 game series, it would be an embarassment

Dire Ear

That's what I would also think Hoes

Hardy

Quote from: sid waddell on July 08, 2017, 11:56:04 AM

Spot on Sid.

British and Irish till I die.

Wildweasel74

british and irish, u sure u a meath man and not from northern ireland. The game was a tight and exciting game abit like derry and mayo last week but like last week the standard of finishing. control etc was very poor in dry conditions, if D Carter was still playing NZ won handy previous game too.Take in the fact that B Smith, D Coles, SBW, NMS, R Loane, R Crotty were missing so its not even the strongest all blacks team currently they had  The all-blacks are in transition but their back line will get all the experience it needs in the next 2 yrs to made another tilt at the world cup

manfromdelmonte

forgot it was on tbh

the GAA cute hoors love the draw.
when's the replay?

theticklemister

Our British boys lol